Author Topic: What to do next?  (Read 1341 times)

What to do next?
« on: 05 March, 2010, 10:20:18 am »
As it looks like I'll have some free time this summer - an opportunity I'm not hoping to repeat for a few years - I'm considering a couple of different rides to follow on from Mille Cymru. Both of these would actually end up being in September - the first because I wouldn't want to miss the summer holiday with the kids, the second because that is when it runs.

The Great Triangle appeals, as I've not done an end-end and this one doesn't have the transport problems that come with a traditional ride lejog/jogle. I have support from MrsH to go off and do it.

Race Around Ireland sounds fantastic, but the downside is needing a support crew. That sensibly means at least a couple of cars and four people (two in each car). It can be done with a couple of crew and a single car, but that means having sleep deprived drivers following a sleep deprived rider - not ideal! There's no chance of me winning, but I strongly believe I could make it around in the time limit. Anybody fancy driving around Ireland for a week in September?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: What to do next?
« Reply #1 on: 05 March, 2010, 10:28:17 am »
Anybody fancy driving around Ireland for a week in September?

I considered it just now for a mad minute but I then realised that I have used up any spare holiday on the Mille Cymru
If I am sans job in September I will let you know :)

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2010, 11:50:15 am »
The Great Triangle looks very appealing

you have 2 1/2 weeks for it :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2010, 11:53:24 am »

Sure! What's the salary?

Have you read TG's Great Triangle ride-report? Good article (although I don't plan to ride it any time soon!).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 05 March, 2010, 12:06:53 pm »

Sure! What's the salary?

It's what I won't be receiving anymore!
No payment, but expenses covered and the joy of looking at my lycra covered arse for hours on end will more than compensate for that  :)

Have you read TG's Great Triangle ride-report? Good article (although I don't plan to ride it any time soon!).

Yes - that's what alerted me to the ride. It is the big one for the UK, I have to do it one day - so possibly this summer.

« Reply #5 on: 05 March, 2010, 01:23:58 pm »

The Great Triangle appeals, as I've not done an end-end and this one doesn't have the transport problems that come with a traditional ride lejog/jogle.

I like the Audax-ian attitude that to get round the problem of transport to/from LE/Jo'G, you just cycle a different ride which is just a lot longer.

« Reply #6 on: 05 March, 2010, 01:26:52 pm »
If you can get a leave pass the Route des Grandes Alpes would be nice.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2010, 02:03:19 pm »
If I could get the best part of 3 weeks off to go bike riding I'd do Calais - Brinski, ferry over to Greece and then across to Istanbul.  Back by plane.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2010, 03:01:48 pm »
You could go out of Europe the other way, into Russia. 

Since it's summer, you could go up Sweden, round the Baltic and down Finland into Russia. 

If you're into rough stuff, you could cross Iceland.

Then again, you may want to go somewhere warm this summer.