Author Topic: Pitlochry to Perth routes  (Read 4482 times)

Pitlochry to Perth routes
« on: 09 March, 2010, 05:58:41 pm »
Following on from a previous post, I did manage to cycle from Inverness to Pitlochry at the tail end of last year. The cycle path over Drumochter wasn’t ideal on my fixie with silk tubs, but at least I now know where the cycle path goes, and it’s not too bad, although I wouldn’t like to ride it in the dark. 

I’m thinking about riding some DIY audaxes this year, and after riding the Nippy Sweetie I have a way to get from Perth to Edinburgh, and beyond, if I decide to head south.  So, I’m wondering what routes are available between Pitlochry and Perth.  Is it possible to ride all the way on wee lanes, or is it a rough cycle track?  I’d prefer to stay off the A9.  I’m also wondering what the road between Pitlochry and Blairgowrie is like – it might be better to head over to Blairgowrie, and then down to Perth from there.

jogler

• mojo operandi
Re: Pitlochry to Perth routes
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2010, 06:37:46 pm »
I did Pitlochry to Perth last May without using the A9.I'll check back on the map & post again.
Dave Martin is knowledgeable abouit this part of the world.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2010, 07:01:04 pm »
How direct?

I've done a couple of DIYs in the area, most of which cut through Perth and Pitlochry.  Albeit via meandering routes (typically taking in either Aberfeldy or Kirkmichael, depending on direction of travel).

For example, one that springs to mind was Dundee - Perth - Crieff - Kenmore - Pitlochry - Kirkmichael - Blairgowrie - Dundee.

As a general rule, I find that area well served by minor roads, most of which are apparent on a decent road map.

« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2010, 07:23:05 pm »
I know I could swing over to Crieff, etc.  I suppose I was looking for a more direct route which more or less followed the A9.  I’ve always had it in my mind that, when driving, it’s not possible to entirely avoid the A9.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2010, 08:51:00 pm »
A possibility:

Bridge Road in Pitlochry leads to a minor road to Logierait. Follow the NCN route over the Tay onto the B898 past Dalguise.

After a short stretch on the A9 (about 3.5km not usually too bad, honest) head into Dunkeld and take A984, B9099 to Murthly. Then minor road to Kinclaven & A93 to Perth.

Route on Google Maps

« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:31:26 pm »
Or from Dunkeld back under the A9 to the station and on the path to the B867 to Bankfoot then minor road to Pitcairngreen,Almondbank and down Creiff road to Perth
From the Hillfoots to the hilltops

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2010, 09:55:56 pm »
Right having had a bike shop in Dunkeld here we go,
Pingu,s route to Dunkeld,
B868 toBankfoot,
T junction right  sign Moneydie ,  pronounced Moneedee,
X rds left to A9,
 300yds on A9 turn left Luncarty,
T juncton right thro Luncarty,
Pavement down A9 and join cycle track,
Then cycle track by the Tay or just thro town?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:19:11 pm »
.I'll check back on the map & post again.

I did..
Pitlochry
lane running parallel to A9 to Tulliemet,Kindallachan,Guay,Dowally,Dunkeld,Birnam.
under the A9 onto B867 to Banksfoot,Moneydie,Pitcairngreen,Almondbank.
Perth.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #8 on: 10 March, 2010, 12:47:53 pm »
The path between Ballinluig & Dunkeld is a bit shit in places. It's overgrown & very narrow where it isn't based on the old A9 road.

« Reply #9 on: 10 March, 2010, 01:27:51 pm »
Thanks very much for all that.  It give me a few more options, and makes heading south on a DIY a bit more feasible.  I’ll try a dummy run sometime in the next few weeks and see how I get on. 

« Reply #10 on: 10 March, 2010, 06:11:13 pm »
If you like that sort of thing, the official Sustrans route numbers are N77 from Perth to Dunkeld and then a choice of N77 from Dunkeld to Pitlochry but this goes thu a very scenic off road section alongside the Tay thru the grounds of Dunkeld House Hotel or via the old A9 and a surfaced cycle track, N83 along the East side of the Tay. There's also a scenic detour at Guay which takes you up, up and UP over a very pretty road via Tulliemet and Dalcapon, to Pitlochry, nice views.
I'm one of the volunteer rangers for this section, so you know who to direct your complaints to!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 10 March, 2010, 07:33:20 pm »
You can also head east from Dunkeld to Caputh then south via Stanley.
Lots of options..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #12 on: 10 March, 2010, 07:36:26 pm »
You can also head east from Dunkeld to Caputh then south via Stanley.
Lots of options..
Indeed, you can get to Perth from Kirriemuir.  :thumbsup:
HTH
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #13 on: 10 March, 2010, 08:13:10 pm »

Indeed, you can get to Perth from Kirriemuir.  :thumbsup:
HTH

S’funny you should say that, Eck.  I once followed a certain athlete and his companions from Kirriemuir to Perth.  The only problem was that it turned out to be a very wet 268 mile round trip...