Author Topic: Kingdom Come 19/20th June  (Read 1982 times)

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
Kingdom Come 19/20th June
« on: 16 March, 2010, 08:21:24 pm »
There is some interest among the 'Angus Gang' ( :hand: not to be confused with the Angus CC ) to do this ride - a bit of midsummer madness perhaps  :)
Apparently we don't want to do a midday start from Forfar this year. Are there any other takers from the 'usual supects', or anybody else who fancies this classic audaxTM. I am (I've been told) 'organising ' this as it was my idea  ::-)

Re: Kingdom Come 19/20th June
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:36:03 pm »
I discussed this with Y Lee G on Sunday - each of has done this starting at around 8pm from Crossgates and it works well. 

Might not suit the Angus Gang, but maybe an idea for others?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:50:04 pm »
I discussed this with Y Lee G on Sunday - each of has done this starting at around 8pm from Crossgates and it works well. 

Might not suit the Angus Gang, but maybe an idea for others?
???
8PM? TBH, I don't fancy that. I did this a few years ago with Mr Zebedee and chum Bruce, starting about 9PM.  A long night and a longer day, stopping at every f*ing tearoom along the way.  >:(

Id prefer the customary stupid o'clock am start, either Crossgates or Forfar - or even Perth? Didn't RJMcB and alves & co do that a couple of years ago?

There, that's typical eh? Only two posts in, and we already have about half a dozen different suggestions.  :-\

BTW, members of ALL angus clubs would be welcome. We're not ones to indulge in petty squabbles up this way. Oh no. Not us....  O:-)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2010, 08:53:46 pm »
8pm from Crossgates means we would miss the fun at Wild Cowdenbeath at midnight. I'd prefer to start in the morning and be flexible on the depart location.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2010, 10:11:26 pm »
For the past couple of years Ryan and I have done this with a 10am start from Perth. You get to Stonehaven at about 10pm and have the night section up the North Deeside Road, so no navigation issues.  Cowdenbeath is dispatched before noon, so the scum isn't even up yet.

I'm up for this one though.  I'm happy to start from where ever.

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2010, 03:10:12 pm »
Whist out on the  midweek training  sociable wednesday run the sub committee of the "Angus" bunch - Messrs Eck, Maverick and myself, we have formulated a plan.

We would like put forward the proposal, which we are agreeable to, to start at Perth (Tesco) at 9.00am

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2010, 04:10:15 pm »
One time I did this event solo I started from Crossgates at about 9pm, which I am fan of as a start time for a 400 [or a 600].  Maybe only myself and Innesh are in this particular fan club, but that just makes it exclusive.  Stupid o clock in perth at both the start and finsh is my worst case scenario. 

All being well (of which there is no guarantee) I'll have done a 600 each of the previous weekends so I'm going to play this by ear and in all likelihood with other events, riding and organising, combined with the occasional outbreak of real life means I cant see myself doing this in 2010. 

Its a great 400 though.   

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2010, 04:46:04 pm »
One time I did this event solo I started from Crossgates at about 9pm, which I am fan of as a start time for a 400 [or a 600].  Maybe only myself and Innesh are in this particular fan club, but that just makes it exclusive.  Stupid o clock in perth at both the start and finsh is my worst case scenario. 

All being well (of which there is no guarantee) I'll have done a 600 each of the previous weekends so I'm going to play this by ear and in all likelihood with other events, riding and organising, combined with the occasional outbreak of real life means I cant see myself doing this in 2010. 

Its a great 400 though.   

A 10am Perth start gets you back just in time to catch the 8am train right back to the big smoke - that's why we chose that start time.

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2010, 12:38:26 pm »

Its a great 400 though.   

A 10am Perth start gets you back just in time to catch the 8am train right back to the big smoke - that's why we chose that start time.

Thanks Kev, I'd missed that - very inclusive. 

As I say to the children when I've no intention of doing something - we'll see.

BTW when Hibernian Exile left blightys shores he deposited a number of perm cards at my house, IIRc lots of Border Hills 200 but also some for the Kingdom Come (looking back it was probably a hint that I didnt pick up on).

Anyhows I think theres more of the KC cards than I'll be able to use anythime soon, so if I remember I'll bring them along to Dalmeny a week on Sunday if anybody wants one just ask. 

It'll also help Lorraine [the organiser] if they get used up as I know that she tries to keep track of cards.   

HTH.

« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:45:50 pm »
For the past couple of years Ryan and I have done this with a 10am start from Perth. You get to Stonehaven at about 10pm and have the night section up the North Deeside Road, so no navigation issues.  Cowdenbeath is dispatched before noon, so the scum isn't even up yet.

Therefore your audax for the 400k must have been approx like the following:-

Perth          10am start
Crossgates     (45k)     12.00am
Auchterarder (88k)       1.30pm
Stanley         (121k)      3.00pm       
Forfar           (170k)      6.30pm
Montrose      (199k)      8.00pm
Stonehaven   (236k)     10.00pm
Ballater         (295k)      2.00am
Braemar        (324k)     3.30am
Perth              (402k)     7.00am      = 21 hours

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #10 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:20:55 pm »

Therefore your audax for the 400k must have been approx like the following:-

Perth          10am start
Crossgates     (45k)     12.00am
Auchterarder (88k)       1.30pm
Stanley         (121k)      3.00pm       
Forfar           (170k)      6.30pm
Montrose      (199k)      8.00pm
Stonehaven   (236k)     10.00pm
Ballater         (295k)      2.00am
Braemar        (324k)     3.30am
Perth              (402k)     7.00am      = 21 hours

Not far off it.  Tend to leave Stonehaven at about 10:30, get to Ballater at 1.30 and Braemar 2.30, where we have a wee break (last year it was a picnic outside of the Fife Arms, the year before it was more hanging around a public toilet) before going over Glen Shee at Dawn.  It's very civilised.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #11 on: 19 March, 2010, 06:43:32 pm »
I would be interesrted in this one but my personal time schedule may not suit any body else.
So I will wait and see what the concensus of opinion is?
Start ---Berry toun at dawn, ,Finish berry toun 1am , bed 1.10am?