Author Topic: RAF Museum Hendon  (Read 18213 times)

Martin

RAF Museum Hendon
« on: 17 March, 2010, 09:44:04 pm »
why have I not been here before? the place is simply awesome, did all but the BoB and WW1 halls but that means I'll have to go back  :thumbsup:

and the Cosford site has a TSR2  :P

(ps go before it stops being free)

bloody illegal immigrants...

the lovely 109

I always like the way the US didn't bother with camouflage

The prototype Typhoon; so huuuuge it's just not possible to get a decent photo (like all the bombers; we did sit in the bomb bay of a Vulcan though

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: RAF Museum Hendon
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2010, 09:51:49 pm »
According to the guide when I had a quick tour the other day, the main hanger was put up in 190mumble and was meant to be a temporary structure.

Still going.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2010, 09:57:35 pm »

I spot the arse end of a Messerschmitt Me 262.
Luckily, they only saw service in the last year of the war.

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2010, 10:01:51 pm »

Sopwith Camel? 

Castor oil shits, that's for sure.   ;D
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »

there's another even more bonkers German one in the bomber hall whose name escapes me

« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2010, 10:11:54 pm »

there's another even more bonkers German one in the bomber hall whose name escapes me

Heinkel He 111 was their most popular bomber.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #6 on: 17 March, 2010, 10:32:13 pm »
Don't know if it's still there but they used to have a Phantom - you could go up some steps and look into the cockpit. The thing that most impressed me was that it had an ashtray.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 17 March, 2010, 10:45:31 pm »
they still have a Phantom; can't go up to the cockpit though

it has big signs saying WARNING AIRCRAFT ARMED by it; I'm prepared to believe it.

It was quite a good exercise in Spot the Airfix Kit for me, I think I got most right.

« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2010, 10:55:11 pm »

An Me 163 Komet ?

It's pretty bonkers, but luckily, like the Schwalbe they had issues getting it developed and into production, so it was never brought into use enough to have any significant impact on the war.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2010, 11:06:33 pm »

An Me 163 Komet ?

no a HE162a

the "behind the lines" Lysander is one of the most scary exhibits; reminds me of the old BBC ITV (bloody hell they used to make TV programmes) WWII drama series (Manhunt?) about agents in occupied France; they had a very low success rate

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2010, 11:39:22 pm »
I still haven't been. It's maybe 2km away, I've lived here 10 years and still haven't gathered the tuits...
 :-[

« Reply #11 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:50:17 am »

An Me 163 Komet ?

no a HE162a

Yeah, that looks bonkers enough. A bit like a cut 'n' shut.
What it's doing in a "bomber" hall though? I suppose having enough space to house the collection being one of the reasons it's there.

Martin

« Reply #12 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:54:24 am »
it might not be in the bomber hall; maybe the bit next door with the choppers;

There are so many planes to see it's pointless trying to take it all in in one day, 3 would be better

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #13 on: 18 March, 2010, 08:55:24 am »
The Heinkel 162's an Airfix model I had.  In fact, I had just about every aircraft mentioned in this thread (my brother had the Heinkel 111)

Re: Lysander - Shuttleworth are restoring one as their main project currently.  It should be flying this summer :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Martin

« Reply #14 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:04:50 am »
The Heinkel 162's an Airfix model I had.  In fact, I had just about every aircraft mentioned in this thread (my brother had the Heinkel 111)

I could usually only afford the series 1 and 2 models; I did have a Flying Fortress (easy to paint; silver and yellow!)

I had a squadron of SR-53s as the cheap shop in town was bashing them out for 10p; also easy to paint (don't, they were white anyway), shame they only ever made 2  :-\

do they still make the big scale 1 /24? ones? always wanted the Harrier

« Reply #15 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:17:46 am »
I don't think they do a Harrier in 1/24 any more but they do do a Mosquito !

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #16 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:28:58 am »
Yeah, that looks bonkers enough. A bit like a cut 'n' shut.
What it's doing in a "bomber" hall though? I suppose having enough space to house the collection being one of the reasons it's there.

Iirc, there was a plan (never implemented I think) which mounted the He 162 above a winged powered bomb, a bit like a cruise missile, only much bigger.  The whole lot takes of with a wheeled trolley which drops away, the pilot flies it all to the target and releases the bomb which flies onto the target and hits it.  The He 162 relied on fuel carried on the bomb, and the bomb needed it's own engines, because the He 162 alone didn't have enough thrust to get it all off of the ground!  Really bonkers!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #17 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:49:12 am »
why have I not been here before? the place is simply awesome, did all but the BoB and WW1 halls but that means I'll have to go back  :thumbsup:

and the Cosford site has a TSR2  :P

(ps go before it stops being free)
They're introducing a parking charge on April 1st, but the museum will remain free - for now.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #18 on: 18 March, 2010, 09:54:34 am »
I don't think they do a Harrier in 1/24 any more but they do do a Mosquito !

That's because you can't kill a squadron.  ;)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #19 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:06:36 am »
I've seen the TSR2. An interesting bit of military and political history!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #20 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:09:45 am »

And very very lovely.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #21 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:43:34 am »

the "behind the lines" Lysander is one of the most scary exhibits; reminds me of the old BBC ITV (bloody hell they used to make TV programmes) WWII drama series (Manhunt?) about agents in occupied France; they had a very low success rate

The TV series I remember was called "Moonstrike", transmitted in the early sixties.  See here for details:

Action TV Online -  Moonstrike episode guide

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #22 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:46:08 am »

And very very lovely.

Oh yes! Glorious.
It is simpler than it looks.

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 18 March, 2010, 10:49:06 am »

And very very lovely.

much like the Starfighter; lack of wings seems a bit worrying; presumably they never spent long enough in the air to fall out of it.

another bit of political history I learned yesterday was the Phantom; re-engined with RR Speys for the RAF and lost a lot of high altitude performance as a result

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24 on: 18 March, 2010, 01:28:27 pm »
another bit of political history I learned yesterday was the Phantom; re-engined with RR Speys for the RAF and lost a lot of high altitude performance as a result

That's BRITONS for you.  When the USAF gets below 500 feet they lower the undercarriage; when the RAF gets above 500 feet they get vertigo.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime