Author Topic: Whatever happened to the Secret Control?  (Read 3628 times)

Whatever happened to the Secret Control?
« on: 22 March, 2010, 10:43:32 am »
I seem to remember back in the early days that most events had a - "Secret Control" at some point on the route.

Of course you would never know where it would be, although most likely to be in the first 30-40kms.

Although we now have "Info Controls" instead. 

When did the Secret Controls end?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Whatever happened to the Secret Control?
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2010, 10:50:21 am »
There was still one on LEL, though how secret it remained once its name was printed on the bottles is up for debate.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2010, 10:50:51 am »
When organisers ran out of volunteers to staff them.
When route became more watertight.
When routes ecame advisory rather than mandatory.

« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2010, 11:53:38 am »
When did the Secret Controls end?

They are incompatible with AUK's policy that routes are advisory.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:19:49 pm »
There was much debate on this at AGMs some years ago.

In the end the compromise reached was that they can still be used, but in order to make them compatible with the "advisory route" thing, the org would have to tell people which leg of a particular route might contain a secret control. 

One of the considerations was a certain ride which had a secret control which corresponded with an ambiguity in the route sheet, resulting in 90% of the field not passing (or knowing about) it, and a very lonely controller.

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:34:12 pm »
Given the average reported weather on an audax, that's got to be a miserable day out.

The only time I've had a secret control was on the Wild Wales Challenge 2005. I was really happy to find it because they were dishing out water and cake. Really it should just have been another control, afterall, it did mark a key distance point on the route.

The only time I can think that a secret control would serve a useful function over a unsecret control is if something like AAA points were at stake and there was an easier, if longer alternative available.

Isn't there a risk that a rider could just roll past a secret control while both them and the controller weren't paying enough attention?

border-rider

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:44:28 pm »
Quite a few rides use checkpoints, and I don't really see an advantage of secret controls over that - other than that the org doesn't actually need to use one. The threat of one should suffice ;)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:49:31 pm »
I was told that due to the policy of "it's a secret so if I tell you I'll have to kill you" the genocide of secret-control controllers prevented the inclusion of secret controls :P

« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:52:30 pm »
Q. 'Whatever happened to the Secret Control?'

A. Can't say, that information is classified.

Sorry I could not resist that.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:53:42 pm »
The secret control is redundant now that audaxuk has a network of informants

« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:53:50 pm »
Perhaps the secret controllers remain secret and they are still there just they have got so good at it that they remain secret and we don't know about them.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:57:32 pm »
Ride marshalls.  I shall say no more ;)

red marley

« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2010, 01:58:38 pm »
Doesn't the Cotswold Corker have a secret control in the first leg (in exactly the same place year after year!)? Perhaps this has gone now since it is a few years since I last rode it.

PBP has a couple of course. For me on the return journey, this induced some sleep deprived paranoia as I was becoming increasingly certain that I must of momentarily strayed off course and missed it. This coincided with a fairly long nighttime stretch where I didn't see any other riders for a few hours.

I'd be glad to see the back of them for good.

« Reply #13 on: 22 March, 2010, 02:01:06 pm »

secret roving marshalls that Keith Benton was talking about a few years ago are something different

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2010, 02:04:08 pm »
Doesn't the Cotswold Corker have a secret control in the first leg (in exactly the same place year after year!)? Perhaps this has gone now since it is a few years since I last rode it.

It'd been a couple of years since I rode it before this year, and I was expecting a Secret at Guiting Power.  But it wasn't there...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #15 on: 22 March, 2010, 02:19:00 pm »
My new theory is that Jethro is an AUK agent, spreading disinformation so as to maintin the secrecy of secret controls.

« Reply #16 on: 22 March, 2010, 02:25:51 pm »
If you get a puncture on your next ride we'll know you were right. Better not talk about it any more otherwise they'll tamper with the straps on you Carradice.

« Reply #17 on: 22 March, 2010, 02:32:10 pm »
When I attempted to include a secret control on my proposed permanent, the application was refused.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #18 on: 22 March, 2010, 02:34:12 pm »

oohh,do they have 5-star badges & guns & everyfink like John Wayne :)

border-rider

« Reply #19 on: 22 March, 2010, 02:35:33 pm »
Think US Sky Marshalls.  I believe that they are armed ;)

« Reply #20 on: 22 March, 2010, 02:39:09 pm »
Think US Sky Marshalls.  I believe that they are armed ;)

Yes but that system can only be used for tandem riders.

« Reply #21 on: 22 March, 2010, 03:06:47 pm »
Given the average reported weather on an audax, that's got to be a miserable day out.

Not with careful planning, although I suppose "at Pembury Tavern sharp L and approach bar" might give the game away.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #22 on: 22 March, 2010, 04:56:32 pm »
If you get a puncture on your next ride we'll know you were right. Better not talk about it any more otherwise they'll tamper with the straps on you Carradice.

I don't know who you are.
You know I have a Carradice
I'm scared.  Someone's watching me!

Then again, you could be fishing for info, like any half decent interrogator.  I resist you and your schemes.  What model Carradice do I own?

« Reply #23 on: 22 March, 2010, 05:02:50 pm »
Barley

« Reply #24 on: 22 March, 2010, 05:54:30 pm »

One of the considerations was a certain ride which had a secret control which corresponded with an ambiguity in the route sheet, resulting in 90% of the field not passing (or knowing about) it, and a very lonely controller.

I believe I was half of the 10% who found it. There was no ambiguity, we were off-route. So was the controller.