Linked Events

• The Midhurst 600: 22 May, 2010 - 23 May, 2010

Author Topic: The Midhurst 600 22nd May 2010  (Read 8072 times)

Martin

Re: The Midhurst 600 22nd May 2010
« Reply #25 on: 20 May, 2010, 01:13:21 pm »
I'm riding the Pulborough-Reading on Sunday; wonder if it goes anywhere near the 600 route during El Supremo 'o clock?

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #26 on: 20 May, 2010, 01:20:44 pm »
I won't be there.  Worried about burning out over the summer.  So an "easy" weekend instead (Cotswold Corker+Gospel Pass).

Unfortunately I forgot to let el S know of my impending no show *guilt*

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 20 May, 2010, 01:27:06 pm »
I won't be there.  Worried about burning out over the summer.  So an "easy" weekend instead (Cotswold Corker+Gospel Pass).

Unfortunately I forgot to let el S know of my impending no show *guilt*

I'll txt him if you are definite

can I have your share?  :P

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #28 on: 20 May, 2010, 01:31:23 pm »

Thanks.  I'll have to ask him for his number given I'm one of his more regular riders.  Would be handy.

Martin

« Reply #29 on: 20 May, 2010, 01:39:25 pm »

Thanks.  I'll have to ask him for his number given I'm one of his more regular riders.  Would be handy.

you could try asking for an EOL at the same time  ;)

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #30 on: 20 May, 2010, 03:42:26 pm »
I won't be there either.  Not having a good year on the bike  :(.

Dave

LEE

« Reply #31 on: 20 May, 2010, 04:25:44 pm »
To be perfectly honest the Magor Services control wasn't much worse than the recent BCM600 "sleep stop".

I'm slow so I only got 90 minutes in a bunk in Dolgellau.  I slumped on a table in Magor Services, waiting for Severn Bridge to open, for not much less than that and then had the biggest Full-English in history.
It's only a significant difference for the fast racing whippets (who get several hours in a dry bed on BCM600 but just a hard floor in Magor Restaurant)

« Reply #33 on: 21 May, 2010, 11:06:28 am »
Doing this one.

After much hawing and humming about whether I'd get there too early or shall I cycle through and see how I feel when I get to Gloucester and its cornucopia of Premier Inns, I booked a family room - all that was left - at the Travelodge Magor and hope to get a bit of kip with a 4.30 departure. Happy to share (pm by 2pm ish)  but be warned I can snore badly and maybe will!

Does anyone know somewhere around Gloucester where you can get a big breakfast early on  a Sunday, by the way?
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 21 May, 2010, 11:14:47 am »
Gloucester was an arid desert when we went through. We even asked a local and they could only point us at the fast-food places - which were still very shut. (luckily there was a convenience store selling excellent lardy cakes on the way out of town  :thumbsup:)

It would be very useful to find something better, maybe a little off-route.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Stephen Kirkby

« Reply #35 on: 21 May, 2010, 12:00:44 pm »
Does anyone know somewhere around Gloucester where you can get a big breakfast early on  a Sunday, by the way?
I thought about this and believe that the MacDonalds on the A38 (only just off route, RT at the RND where we go straight on towards Birdlip) should be open (according to the website).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 21 May, 2010, 12:09:42 pm »
Not if it's the one in the retail park area that we could see from the route.
Not in 2009 anyway.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

AJB

« Reply #37 on: 21 May, 2010, 06:29:57 pm »
I'm riding the Pulborough-Reading on Sunday; wonder if it goes anywhere near the 600 route during El Supremo 'o clock?

Stage 8 and 9 of the Midhurst 600 goes through West and East Stratton, then up the hill towards Itchen Abbas before turning off towards Alresford. Then continues via Ropley and Steep to Midhurst via the A272.   Except when the Pulborough Reading heads off to Liss, the two rides share the same roads at this point.

I expect you will have long finished your ride Martin before I get anywhere near Stage 8 of the 600.  See you on the Sussex Corker (entry in the post at last)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: 21 May, 2010, 08:15:40 pm »
    I'm pulling out, having taken a few days off, [now that summer has arrived 8)] to go touring [up the Icknield and Peddars Way], hence using up all my 'Dad points' for this week. Looks like the Seething will be my BRM 600 for this year. Give my apologies to El Supremo and enjoy my ration of goodies!

Martin

« Reply #39 on: 21 May, 2010, 08:26:24 pm »
I expect you will have long finished your ride Martin before I get anywhere near Stage 8 of the 600.  See you on the Sussex Corker (entry in the post at last)

thanks; that makes 6  :-\  could be the last one as a calendar event

we are starting from Guildford so will be even quicker to Pamland, but El S will still be many miles away at the time.

have a good one  8); Chris T was trying to persuade me to do it after last year's Scorchio edition, but 2/4 hot and sunny 600s is probably my lot.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #40 on: 22 May, 2010, 07:22:41 am »
A cracking day for it  :thumbsup:

H

rob

« Reply #41 on: 24 May, 2010, 10:21:15 am »
That was bloody hot, again.

Decent progress on Saturday with a loose group of Richard T, Chris T, Mark Fairweather, Andy Sevour, Anton and one newbie whose name escapes me.   I was in and out of the group depending on lumpiness.

Got to Magor just after midnight and had a shower and 3hrs kip.   Off just before 5am for another hot day.   Pretty uneventful run back to Midhurst to finish a smidge after 8pm.

I struggled all weekend to get enough food and drink in.   I ache a lot today, far more than I have done for a while.   I'm also still dehydrated, but the sir-con is on in the office so I'm cooling down.

Just need a 400, now.

AJB

« Reply #42 on: 25 May, 2010, 02:02:09 pm »
Found the ride hard to start with - unable to get going and thinkin of packing by the first control. Encouragement from Marcus on Stage 1 and 2 (he kept passing me) gratefully received.

By Newent found my legs and got going. Hooked up with Rob, Richard T, Mark Fairweather, Andy Seviour, Chris T and Mat (I believe I have the correct name) during the night section to Magor, and cycled with them on and off to the finish.

Liked the control in a pub at the end.

Also understand from Richard T how better to schedule my rides.

AJB

Martin

« Reply #43 on: 25 May, 2010, 03:11:12 pm »

was that the one on the A272 just before you come into Midhurst? I noticed an Audaxy looking bike outside when we rode past on the 200 perm; didn't see anyone from Sutton Scotney otherwise.

well done; would not have wished the 2nd day on anyone with 400km+ legs

Stephen Kirkby

« Reply #44 on: 25 May, 2010, 04:11:58 pm »
Dave said "You can go now", but the start seemed to be one of reluctance for most, who stayed firmly put. So I set off slowly, presuming to be caught sooner rather than later.

Ron Lawrence caught me and a small group developed on the way to Arlesford.
I was then speeded through the Test valley by Chris Tracey and a Willesden guy, before being dropped shortly before El S's picnic spot adjacent to the A4.

After mugs of tea, beans/toast/cereal/cake/sun cream/rest I set off alone and enjoyed the open spaces up on the Marlborough Downs, and made my way to Cirencester where I had my own private bagdrop, courtesy of a friend and of me working in Ciren.

After much needed rest I just happend upon Martin Stovell at the The White Way traffic lights and we rode together for the rest of the event. The 'going' was reasonably easy via Newent and the Golden Valley to almost Hay-on-Wye,
in glorious evening brightness. The small lay-by was busy with El S' mobile kitchen, a dozen or so AUKs and a common discomfort of hot swollen feet. Steve Underwood had been there for some time and was on the phone to CTC Emergency Rescue with a broken seat-stem clamp.

Route to Magor was pleasant and non-remarkable in the best sense; except perhaps for the aforementioned Steve, who having passed me on route, arrived just after myself having ridden 'last years' route across a mountain instead of the new proposal, down a flat valley.

The fashion seemed to be for people to rent a room to sleep in at Magor, but
a) I'm not quick, so would have only have got a few hours
b) my body seemed to have no inclination to want to sleep
c) etc

So I set off an hour later on the relentlessly long ride to Gloucester, followed by the
horrible ascent of Birdlip, the Cotswold escarpment. At the top I felt shattered, but Martin and I skipped the next prescribed set of Cotswold lanes and valleys for the more pragmatic, time saving, A417.

My bag-drop in Ciren was 2min this time, too early to raise my friends I thought.
Instead, MacDonalds provided the fuel for the journey.

By now it was hot, only to get hotter and hotter in arid sunshine. Martin had been burned on Saturday and was forced into wearing arm and leg warmers all of Sunday!

I found the final 2 sections (100k) quite hard - it was a retrace of the outward bound section but the hills seemed relentless and sometimes gratuitously unnecessary! That said, there were some excellent long swooping descents, the kind of which you don't get in my home (Cotswold) territory.

At the finish, my brain was a bit cooked:
I twice typed in the wrong PIN number at the NatWest ATM and once again at the Barclays, before giving up and riding back up to the petrol station to simply make a purchase.

All in all, a very enjoyable weekend.

Julian

PS If I have any of the above names wrong I apologise - I don't ride many events and am not great with names.

rob

« Reply #45 on: 25 May, 2010, 04:26:39 pm »

was that the one on the A272 just before you come into Midhurst? I noticed an Audaxy looking bike outside when we rode past on the 200 perm; didn't see anyone from Sutton Scotney otherwise.

Yeah.   We were stretched out there from 8-8.30pm.

I was heavily dehydrated all day yesterday and still felt bad in the evening.   My legs are very sore compared to previous rides, so I think the heat really took it out of me.

« Reply #46 on: 25 May, 2010, 05:34:47 pm »
It was hot, I found it tolerable though for everything except the steep climb out of Calne where the was only sun on the road and no wind and the last bit to the top of Cleeve Hill on day 1. 

Mind you I got to Alresford and the lady who had been doing the brevets asked me how I was and my mouth was so dry after a day hanging open all I could say the first time of trying was "gurrrgh". And beer has seldom tasted better than at that pub at the end!

Thank heavens for Nuun tablets and chocolate milk, they kept the legs turning and I did not get the slight metallic taste which makes food taste odd on the latter part, and for a day or so after, long rides.

Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

marcus

« Reply #47 on: 25 May, 2010, 09:32:10 pm »
This was my first El Supremo experience & I thoroughly enjoyed it. A good route, combining some roads I knew well & others that were new to me.

As others have mentioned, it was a bit on the warm side. I slathered myself in factor 30 & my legs & arms ended up covered in an attractive slimy mixture of sun cream & sweat, dotted with dead insects. Very nice! Still, I avoided getting burnt.

It was a moderately lumpy route (over 6000 metres of climbing according to my GPS) & pretty hard work in the hot weather. I managed to maintain a fairly steady pace, didn't bother stopping to sleep, & got back to Midhurst just after 3.00. I then cycled to Haslemere to catch a train to London - another 300 metres of climbing in just 12 km! Just what you don't need at the end of a 600.

Good to hear that AJB didn't pack & got round OK - well done!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #48 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:06:09 am »
...& got back to Midhurst just after 3.00. I then cycled to Haslemere to catch a train to London - another 300 metres of climbing in just 12 km! Just what you don't need at the end of a 600.
But it's a very nice 12km! and gentle climbing (in both directions). I'd deffo recommend the train to Haslemere for this ride
(although I should confess a night's sleep between the 600 and the 300m of climbing)

Any updates on the climbing figure? Calendar puts it over 6k for the 600k, but I really didn't find it tough last year, and I gather the small lump before Magor has been removed.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

TyreTracks

« Reply #49 on: 26 May, 2010, 10:16:42 am »
The garmin Edge 705 indicated a total climb of 6017m.

I do not take these figures as that accurate but it does give a good indication.

Yes I walked almost the whole of Birdlip.