Author Topic: South Devon - hills, cream teas, and more hills...  (Read 3280 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
South Devon - hills, cream teas, and more hills...
« on: 23 May, 2008, 09:41:40 pm »
We took off from the big smog Monday the 19th heading towards Buckfastleigh in Devon via Newton Abbot. We went in search of a few miles of road, cream teas and a generally relaxing time.

We arrived at the train station around 1pm and had 9'ish miles to go to our B&B, just outside Buckfastleigh. We planned the route on this fancy Gmapper thing and some maps that Hummers had lent us, thinking that it would just take around an hour to do this ride. But as this part of the world is very beautiful and hilly we had plenty of stops where we had to look at the view (read : rest). Even the local police got lost in the labyrinth of lanes :)

We arrived at B&B | Bed and Breakfast Devon - Kilbury Manor UK and checked into the Loft Room. This B&B is very very highly recommended - do ask for the loft room as you will have a nice spacious bedroom for you and the rest of the barn for your bikes to do any fettling if needed.

We then spend an hour trying to find the pub, which should be within walking distance from the B&B. After asking a workman from Yorkshire (who said he hadn't a clue, but to let him know if we found it ;) and at the local post office we found it, yes within walking distance if you only turned right at the right place :) Only to find that the cook had taken the afternoon off, so we had a drink while awaiting his return.

On the big day we got up to a brilliant cooked breakfast prepared by our host, the bacon was from the local butcher and was delicious. And set off on our planned 65'ish miles ride, down towards Slapton and Salcombe. The weather was a bit grey at the start but warm, but after lunch the sun came out to play and the country side really came alive.

Since this beautiful part of the world had plenty of scenic scenery (read : hills) we had to stop plenty of times to rest, look and enjoy the view, check the map as signs to somewhere is not a thing they do down there. 

After lunch in Slapton we decided to cut the route short by around 15miles, as we were getting tired and time was running out. 47miles and 7 hours later we arrived home with pizza and toffee cake for a relaxing night in.

The next day we had planned a 50 odd mile ride but decided that we needed a rest day and nice short recovery ride, and it should include cream tea no matter where we went. We headed into Ashburton in search, only to miss the 2 places that served tea and ended up en-route towards Holne, where we found a sign saying saying 1 mile to clotted cream heaven ! Though one reminder to oneself before setting of on a route do count how many chevrons there are between you and the cream tea. As one part of the road up to Holne (yes UP to) had 3 chevrons on a 600-700 yard stretch. We were both struggling to keep our front wheels on the ground. Oh boy did that cream tea hit the spot :)

We then set off home and after a wrong turn we ended up in a steep valley bottom with 2 chevron hills on each side and a bull in the middle of the road looking very BIG !

We survived and had a great down hill roll through Hembury Woods (National Trust) back into Buckfast where we had dinner at the Abbey Inn pub before heading back to the B&B. 16 hard but beautiful miles.

The next morning we went by the Steam Engine museum in Buckfastleigh though just missed the 1045 to Totnes, but we heard it and saw the white steam from it. We then headed over to Buckfast Abbey for a little wander around, I think we were the youngest people there by at least 25+ years and Peli commented to me that we would be there in a few years time :)

We set off towards Newton Abbot with plenty of time to spare before out train back to the smog. And the plan was if there was a cream tea in the way we would stop. Though the only thing that stopped us was a fairy visit to Bender. Not a problem as a touring cyclist is always prepared or is that just the scouts that are ? As the packet of instant sticky patches for some reason had gone walkies, I dug out the spare kit only to find the glue had dried up solid. Well then there was only one option left and that was to stuff the tyre with grass. Worked a treat all the way to the station where I refuelled it with paper :)

All in all 100miles of joy, laughter and sunshine, I'm glad that I took up Hummers' advice to bring a bike with cheats(gears).

If you are not sure if you should go down to Devon on a cycling holiday feast your eyes on this ....

Clicky for more photos of the holiday
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Re: South Devon - hills, cream teas, and more hills...
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:48:49 pm »
Sounds like you had a fabulous time and glorious weather.

I take it you turned back at the sight of the rather large bull?!

I feel tired just reading about the hills though.

I do love a nice cream tea.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:50:39 pm »
Excellent  :thumbsup:

I thought of you two quite a lot this week and hoped you had some good weather.

H

annie

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:53:17 pm »
Fantastic photographs and write up, what a glorious place to cycle.  I must go back there one day soon.

Glad you had a great time, you both deserved it.

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:54:11 pm »
Great stuff. Lovely place too.

PS Where are the hills?  ;)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:57:52 pm »
"How brave are you?" Woolly asks as we spy the huge mass of taurine muscle as we rounded the bend. We were sandwiched between it and the steep chevroned bugger of a hill behind us, so we gingerly proceeded (Woolly kept shushing me so as not to rile the beast, which I found amusing ;)

We needn't have worried: Mr Bull eventually slunk off through the hedge to join his cows. Pussy ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2008, 09:59:05 pm »
Didn't turn around at the sight of the big bull, he did the running.

One thing I forgot to mention is that we didn't see any other cyclist out there. And National Cyclist Route 2 and 28 is/could be the same as one of the maps we had (from 2006) was saying that route 2 and 28 was running trough the area but we only say the signs for route 2. When we clearly were on route 28 according to the map.

The weather was just tops, sunny, light wind and not too warm for climbing up the hills. Hummers thanks again for the heads up on where to go.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2008, 10:00:51 pm »
What a difference a few days makes - I couldn't see much of the scenery for the rain, as I passed through Devon last weekend.

Lovely place, but more hills than is polite, really.

Yummy looking Cream T.

<pooh>
Makes me rumbly in my tumbly.
</pooh>

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2008, 10:07:51 pm »
Looks absolutely fantastic, great photos and report!  :)

Glad you both enjoyed it.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2008, 10:43:52 pm »
Wonderful! That's set me thinking that a tandem trip down there might be in order. Don't tell Jan... ;)

Peli, that bloke of yours, he frightens away bulls. :o
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2008, 11:39:19 pm »
Nice pics. Glad you had a good time...

« Reply #11 on: 25 May, 2008, 05:40:30 pm »
Wonderful! That's set me thinking that a tandem trip down there might be in order. Don't tell Jan... ;)

Peli, that bloke of yours, he frightens away bulls. :o
He actually looked more scared than I did when we saw the beast.  ;)

If you and Jan do go down there, Kilbury Manor is definitely to be recommended. £70 a night or there abouts - pretty good value for the 4 star luxury you find there.

« Reply #12 on: 25 May, 2008, 07:36:22 pm »
I came across a similar-looking bull on my ride today, thankfully he was more interested in doing rude things to a cow than in chasing me...I just steered around the lovebirds ::-)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #13 on: 25 May, 2008, 09:19:48 pm »
Great ride and photos :)

Amazing view, nature at it's very best! The green bits ain't bad either ;)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium