Author Topic: Spelling that makes you cringe  (Read 86365 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Spelling that makes you cringe
« Reply #900 on: August 09, 2020, 08:24:33 pm »
Over on Facebook, perfumes are being discussed.
Somebody has posted 'Channel 5'...

Reminds me of someone discussing the Star Wars film 'Rouge One'...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #901 on: August 09, 2020, 10:03:40 pm »
Our pianist friend is playing some Chopin and Saint Sean's on Facebook.
His paying is MUCH better than his spelling...

Given he's now playing Le Cygne, St Sean's 'Swan' would be quite a tongue twister...

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #902 on: Yesterday at 10:29:14 am »
Our pianist friend is playing some Chopin and Saint Sean's on Facebook.
His paying is MUCH better than his spelling...

Given he's now playing Le Cygne, St Sean's 'Swan' would be quite a tongue twister...

You're charging him?
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #903 on: Yesterday at 11:03:19 am »
Hear's won... Sorry, here's one in Polish:
Tymczasem państwowa agencja informacyjna Biełta poinformowała na swoim kanale na Telegramie, że Łukaszenko udał się dziś z wizytą gospodarską do siedziby holdingu rolniczego pod Mińskiem. "Łukaszenka zapozna się z realizacją projektu inwestycyjnego dotyczącego nowoczesnej produkcji rolnej w BNBK - [Białoruska narodowa biotechnologiczna korporacja -red.]" - podawała Biełta.
There's no consensus on whether to call him Lukashenko or Lukashenka, but at least pick one and stick to it.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #904 on: Yesterday at 11:07:49 am »
Got both versions in one BBC report yesterday.  ("The BBC is an equal opportunities employer.....)

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #905 on: Yesterday at 11:56:56 am »
Hear's won... Sorry, here's one in Polish:
Tymczasem państwowa agencja informacyjna Biełta poinformowała na swoim kanale na Telegramie, że Łukaszenko udał się dziś z wizytą gospodarską do siedziby holdingu rolniczego pod Mińskiem. "Łukaszenka zapozna się z realizacją projektu inwestycyjnego dotyczącego nowoczesnej produkcji rolnej w BNBK - [Białoruska narodowa biotechnologiczna korporacja -red.]" - podawała Biełta.
There's no consensus on whether to call him Lukashenko or Lukashenka, but at least pick one and stick to it.

His name in Belarusian is Лукашэнка (Lukashenka), but often Russified as Лукашенко (Lukashenko).  Guess which language is more often translated into English?

« Reply #906 on: Yesterday at 12:05:50 pm »
I thought that in Slavic languages Lukashenko is male and Lukashenka is female.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #907 on: Yesterday at 12:14:01 pm »

Generally speaking, yes, but apparently Belarusian breaks that rule.  (With my Ukrainian knowledge I can understand Belarusian fairly well, but have never studied it so not sure of the details). 
Ukrainian has a few exceptions to the rule as well, e.g. Юра/Yura, usually Юрій/Yurij (George); and Олекса/Oleksa, usually Олексій/Oleksij (a form of Alexander).

« Reply #908 on: Yesterday at 12:36:17 pm »

Generally speaking, yes, but apparently Belarusian breaks that rule.  (With my Ukrainian knowledge I can understand Belarusian fairly well, but have never studied it so not sure of the details). 
Ukrainian has a few exceptions to the rule as well, e.g. Юра/Yura, usually Юрій/Yurij (George); and Олекса/Oleksa, usually Олексій/Oleksij (a form of Alexander).

In Russian Lukashenko would not have a feminine form, only surnames ending in -ov/-ev, -in and -skiy do (though this is most of them!). I don't know about Ukrainian and Belarussian: though there are Slavonic languages in which all surnames have a masculine and feminine form. Czech, for example. It is quite possible for a surname in Russian to end in -a for both the masculine and feminine forms.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #909 on: Today at 03:04:31 pm »
Latest Facebook advert...

NO MORE Dust on Small Corners and Wholes!
This new cleaning tool was designed to get dust and bacteria out of every nook and cranny