Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 1244225 times)

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23400 on: November 14, 2018, 01:33:14 pm »
Are you sure you want to know..... Okay, click below if you do, or ignore it if you would rather not know.

(click to show/hide)

Well.... you did ask.  ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23401 on: November 14, 2018, 03:10:36 pm »
That sequence of events seems perfectly logical to me. 

To avoid that problem, I got a man in to build a garage extension and replace the failed door.  Only logical thing to do by the look of it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #23402 on: November 14, 2018, 07:08:00 pm »
Are you sure you want to know..... Okay, click below if you do, or ignore it if you would rather not know.

(click to show/hide)
Ah, I see. My late dad had an up and over double garage door and it had two rather large springs that assisted the mechanism, before he eventually electrified it.

From your description, your springs are different, but in any even the energy needed to lift that door will still be substantial.  If that energy, stored in the spring, were to be directed toward propelling an Allen key, I can well see how it did what it did.

You are a braver man than me.  I have enough trouble with cycling sized springs, let alone the rather larger variety built into garage doors.

Hope it's all getting a bit less sore.

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #23403 on: November 15, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »
I was playing Words With Friends and was about to play the word RAFT until I realised that I could swap the F and R to put the F on a triple letter score tile (F is worth 4, R is worth 1). Since the word also covered a triple word score tile, that bagged me 54 points, which amused me greatly.

I was even more amused a few moments later when my opponent resigned in disgust.

#lolz

« Reply #23404 on: November 15, 2018, 11:18:24 pm »
We have fine sand on our wheeley bins, and it looks like it's falling - saharan origin I guess?  Definitely not ash.
"an inordinate fondness for beetles"

Pedaldog

• High Hopes
  • Pedaldog by any other name.
« Reply #23405 on: November 17, 2018, 12:54:35 am »
Prolly blown there from Morecambe. They made a beach sandy area, the sand won't stay there if there's so much as a dwarf hamster fart within 15 miles of it.
The Ultimate Consumer.

« Reply #23406 on: November 17, 2018, 11:33:58 am »
When I got home yesterday my wife said there’d been a mouse in the lounge. That would have been brought in by the cat. We didn’t see it all evening, but when I went to get some wine from the shed, I found my garden trainers (kept by the back door) full of mouse droppings  ::-).  Fast forward to this morning and I check them again - all clear. Check my wife’s and same. Maybe it’s gone. A while later my wife puts hers on to put the washing out, no problem. 2 hours later she goes to put some rubbish out, and finds the mouse hiding in the tie of her shoe :o. A quick tap and it’s out. I give it 8 hours to scarper before the cat wakes up from her daily nap.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #23407 on: November 18, 2018, 10:15:30 pm »
Satnav, 1970s style:  Routesheet-onna-tape.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KliWHCzE16c&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/KliWHCzE16c&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/KliWHCzE16c
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #23408 on: November 18, 2018, 11:27:59 pm »
And now it is tomorrow and we've got something even better! I reckon that's probably quite an unusual occurrence for TW.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23409 on: November 18, 2018, 11:40:53 pm »
 ;D
Thanks Kim  :D

But even more thanks for the Maggie Philbin (sp?) stuff it lead me to.
Ob. Secret young crushes.

Edit.  Chrisesake Basil!  Judith Hann!  Not Maggie wosname.  Judith Hann!
Sorry. Brainfart.
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #23410 on: November 19, 2018, 12:08:39 am »
There's a rich vein of Tomorrows World on Youtube.

Here's Sir Clive on a relatively sensible (given the technology of the time) electric bicycle, with plenty of authentic VHS aretfacts:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ig-d8ZnzZvc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ig-d8ZnzZvc&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/Ig-d8ZnzZvc

spesh

• Indictments we bring to Trump and his kin...
« Reply #23411 on: November 19, 2018, 11:29:16 am »
"So a Shopping Centre on the Isle of Man just had their Christmas decorations done... "

https://twitter.com/Li4mricee/status/1064248919893442560

:o ;D :demon:
This is not The Greatest Sig Line in the World, no.
This is just a tribute.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #23412 on: November 19, 2018, 02:15:45 pm »
"So a Shopping Centre on the Isle of Man just had their Christmas decorations done... "

Not much in the way of LEDs, so I suspect that Big Clive is innocent.

« Reply #23413 on: November 19, 2018, 02:27:03 pm »

Not much in the way of LEDs, so I suspect that Big Clive is innocent.
I think making a claim that Big Clive is innocent is a very rash statement to make  :D
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

T42

• Gaulois réfractaire
« Reply #23414 on: November 21, 2018, 01:44:08 pm »
The ever-so-serious journal Nature always carries a one-page SF story on its last page. Latest one we received leaves a bit to be desired: a race of aliens have frozen Earth into submission by placing a spaceship the size of the moon between it and the sun, plunging the world into permanent eclipse.

Er...
I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #23415 on: November 21, 2018, 01:52:58 pm »
The ever-so-serious journal Nature always carries a one-page SF story on its last page. Latest one we received leaves a bit to be desired: a race of aliens have frozen Earth into submission by placing a spaceship the size of the moon between it and the sun, plunging the world into permanent eclipse.

Er...

They're going to need a bigger boat...

Sorry, Father Dougal error.  At L1 it wouldn't need to be be as big as the moon, would it?

robgul

• HoECC & Cycle:End-to-End webmaster, S Warwickshire Bike Shop in Wellesbourne
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited, manages an LBS
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23416 on: November 21, 2018, 02:11:12 pm »
;D
Thanks Kim  :D

But even more thanks for the Maggie Philbin (sp?) stuff it lead me to.
Ob. Secret young crushes.

Edit.  Chrisesake Basil!  Judith Hann!  Not Maggie wosname.  Judith Hann!
Sorry. Brainfart.

My abiding memory of Judith Hann on TW was when she demonstrated use of a mouse on a primitive computer .... that was pretty cool, but the camera then pulled back and she was also wearing seamed stockings  :thumbsup:

Rob

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #23417 on: November 21, 2018, 02:15:18 pm »
Gosh.  And there was me thinking Judith Hann was everyone's favourite television SCIENCE auntie...

fuzzy (retd.) AAGE

• SWMBO's Toy Boy.
  • Apprentice Leathery Old Git
    • The Secret Cyclist blog
« Reply #23418 on: November 21, 2018, 02:26:16 pm »
She was. Us young men couldn't help being beguiled by brains AND looks. It's the hormones, you know ;)
Quote from: tatanab
The mark of a true cyclist - prepared to try anything on offer

If it ain't bad for you it ain't worth doing

« Reply #23419 on: November 21, 2018, 03:07:47 pm »
Us young men couldn't can't help being beguiled by brains AND looks. It's the hormones, you know ;)

FTFY  ;D  Add in an Irish accent and you get Dr Pixie McKenna   :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Bright are the stars that shine Dark is the sky
« Reply #23420 on: November 21, 2018, 03:35:02 pm »
Gosh.  And there was me thinking Judith Hann was everyone's favourite television SCIENCE auntie...
In the same way as Janice in The Crow Road was Prentice McHoan's favourite auntie, aye.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23421 on: November 21, 2018, 04:17:12 pm »
Until this weekend, I didn't think I had ever seen or handled a £50 ('spiv') note.

I acquired one on Sunday when Barry repaid me for his train ticket to Scotland.

David has just been paid for the telescope he sold on behalf of the BAA with a wodge.

Takeaway driver refused my Clydesdale £10 last night...

« Reply #23422 on: November 21, 2018, 07:59:54 pm »
Don't think I've ever handled a £50 but I'm sure I've seen them. Definitely handled 500zł notes in Poland, roughly equivalent to £100. In India I don't recall anything over 1,000 rupees, which meant frequently handling huge wodges of notes as many things you'd never use cash for here, it's the accepted or only way there, such as paying for airline tickets(!). ATMs frequently run out...
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #23423 on: November 21, 2018, 08:04:53 pm »
I got a load of them from Travelex the other month when I cashed in some unused foreign currency. No had any issues getting rid of them. Far better than $100 bills which no one in the US takes.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #23424 on: November 21, 2018, 08:54:44 pm »
I've regularly been paid in £50 notes. The last time was a couple of weeks ago.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.