Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 1480519 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24725 on: December 26, 2019, 06:36:45 pm »
We went to visit the old man who had been our next-door neighbour in his Care Home today.
He's in the second floor.

The view from the lounge window is encouraging...https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6019496,-0.2690625,3a,37.5y,228.43h,108.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1semaIYOoY4jxGsjy_BmnSaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Sidney Hurry has been there longer than the care home.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24726 on: December 26, 2019, 07:23:34 pm »
The corridors of Polish (and presumably some other places) hospitals display similar advertisements.
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #24727 on: December 26, 2019, 07:28:35 pm »
My mum used to work on a geriatrics ward with a lovely view of the local cemetery.

(Is Sydney Hurry low-grade nominative determinism?)
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24728 on: December 26, 2019, 10:20:44 pm »
I think I've mentioned this business in the 'Badly-Named' thread...

Appletree Court has opened since I moved here. I can't recall what was on the site before, despite walking past it on the way to work. Sidney Hurry was ALWAYS there.

We are still somewhat bemused by the signs that read 'Nursing Home with Dementia'.

Thankfully, the second floor residents, like Ed, do not have dementia.

The outer door, inner door and lift all have their own four digit combination for security.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24729 on: December 28, 2019, 01:18:18 pm »
One of those weird intergenerational circular things going on. Mrs Cudzo's brother is here, bearing homemade quince brandy and news. Turns out her other brother's son has a girlfriend whose mother was at university with her. This is neither in the university town nor where they grew up.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #24730 on: December 30, 2019, 12:32:48 am »
If that gets any more convoluted we're going to need a crib just for the runners and riders....
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Tea tank
They've changed it since, but earlier this morning the Graun sported a headline beginning "France: Paris police shoot man with knife".
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Cudzoziemiec

They've changed it since, but earlier this morning the Graun sported a headline beginning "France: Paris police shoot man with knife".
Just yesterday I was discussing with IanN otp how the venerable 4 D-cell Maglight was the weapon of choice for the New York cop, but les flics have got something better: un pistolet á couteau!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary

That's up there with "I saw couples injecting reefer!" from $TABLOID "exposé" of the sordid goings-on at UFO circa 1967.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Well that knocked everything I know about microwaves stainless steel spoons on its head. For the first time in my life I forgot a spoon when reheating grub in a micro. No big sparks or booms, just yummy warm food.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
fitness to travel medical today, apparently I have category 1 hearing and the lungs of a 22 year old.

He's not asked for them back yet, so I'm keeping them
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
Well that knocked everything I know about microwaves stainless steel spoons on its head. For the first time in my life I forgot a spoon when reheating grub in a micro. No big sparks or booms, just yummy warm food.

Unsurprising, because physics.  If you want sparks you need pointy things.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

Unsurprising, because physics.  If you want sparks you need pointy things.

I want to try it with crossed barbequeueueueueue skewers now!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
Shuriken, surely.
!nataS pihsroW

Kim

• Timelord
Couple of skewers inna dipole with a spark gap ought to work best.  Wavelengths left as an exercise for the reader.

AOL CDs work pretty well.  (DAHIKT)

(Sparky fun aside, the other issue with metal in a microwave is that it acts as a reflector, and can potentially cause food to be undercooked.)

The computer tape loading sound at the start of Carter USM's "A Perfect Day To Drop The Bomb" contains Yamaha drum machine programmes for the album.  Here's a labour of love:

https://youtu.be/W8-2Kn9TyZE
Never tell me the odds.