Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 1495198 times)

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24825 on: February 10, 2020, 01:11:06 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/feb/10/christopher-eccleston-felt-was-going-to-die-depression-anorexia-books

An interesting interview with actor Christopher Eccleston, who sounds like he's had a very rough time with mental health problems.   It makes me wonder though what sort of treatment Joe Bloggs would get in similar circumstances,  I'd think there is quite a waiting list for the Priory.   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #24826 on: February 10, 2020, 08:35:58 pm »
https://twitter.com/Beau_Liverpool/status/1226924227816759299?s=20

About 10 minutes from my flat, though I don't often drink in there.   Too many people trying to take photos while you're having a pee.....

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #24827 on: February 11, 2020, 07:19:19 pm »
haha looking at the specialbuys at Aldi coming up - cook wear - pots and frying pans etc - and WD40
#bollockstobrexit

« Reply #24828 on: February 11, 2020, 07:58:31 pm »
haha looking at the specialbuys at Aldi coming up - cook wear - pots and frying pans etc - and WD40

Non-stick?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #24829 on: February 11, 2020, 10:55:46 pm »

And coming soon to LIDL...  :o
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24830 on: February 12, 2020, 03:05:30 am »
David and I went to a piano recital at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the South Bank this evening.
We were in the front stalls, where there are several wheelchair bays. Next to us was a lady in a power chair, with a young companion, a lad of about 12, whom we'd seen at the previous concert in the piano series.
They made a pretty prompt exit after the performance, whilst we were in no rush.

When we emerged, the lady with the power chair was in a sorry heap on one of the ramps by the exit. She was unhurt but uncomfortable and unable to get up. She needed an ambulance with a hoist to raise her and insisted we didn't wait with her. There were several South Bank staff present. They provided extra blankets and David managed to place a cushion from the wheel chair under the lady.

I hope she didn't have to wait too long for the ambulance. Being uninjured and conscious would have made her a low priority...

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #24831 on: February 12, 2020, 09:45:24 am »
Referring back to pubs without bars, The Low House, aka The King's Head, in Laxford, Suffolk. Kim, Phil and I lunched there after the Dun Run once, prior to making for Diss station, a journey during which a sleep-deprived Nothing Happened to Kim, causing her to end up in the nettles.

My random reason for making a random post this morning was that we ailed to answer the telephone this morning. The number, which wasn't listed as a known nuisance number, had the Sullom Voe area code.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #24832 on: February 12, 2020, 11:58:58 am »
Referring back to pubs without bars, The Low House, aka The King's Head, in Laxford, Suffolk. Kim, Phil and I lunched there after the Dun Run once

Weirdly, I have no memory of that.  I blame Benadryl.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #24833 on: February 12, 2020, 12:01:46 pm »
Are you certain of that Wow ?   I think I was with Kim when she ended in the nettles & I don't recall us going to a pub.    Unless she's done it twice.....  ???

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24834 on: February 13, 2020, 09:04:09 pm »
Referring back to pubs without bars, The Low House, aka The King's Head, in Laxford, Suffolk. Kim, Phil and I lunched there after the Dun Run once, prior to making for Diss station, a journey during which a sleep-deprived Nothing Happened to Kim, causing her to end up in the nettles.

My random reason for making a random post this morning was that we ailed to answer the telephone this morning. The number, which wasn't listed as a known nuisance number, had the Sullom Voe area code.

it wasnt me, I've been in Aberdeen this week
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #24835 on: February 14, 2020, 01:51:49 pm »
My wife was bought a DNA test for Christmas. She got the results back yesterday.  98.9% British, 1.1% Middle Eastern.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #24836 on: February 14, 2020, 02:08:23 pm »
Don't tell the Home Office, they'll have her on a plane faster than Dom can purge a Chancellor.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24837 on: February 16, 2020, 05:44:39 pm »
This should be in a thread of:
Things I don't Understand, but Still Find Hugely Entertaining*

https://twitter.com/sienzala/status/1228580638594174977

*I suppose a bit like some Monty Python? Maybe?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #24838 on: February 16, 2020, 06:04:37 pm »
Interesting use of "rowdy". Also, isn't it rather homophobic? Not that I'd claim to really understand it either. I mean, where's the tune? And (I might be wrong about this) isn't Michael "Stipey" Stipe himself gay? Though not necessarily a bear. (But then the Bristol Bears are not a gay rugby club, as opposed to the Bristol Bisons, who are. Why Bisons? I have no idea.)
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #24839 on: February 16, 2020, 06:21:43 pm »
At risk of making a habit of REM facts - though if pressed I could probably pass this off as a bisexual fact - Micheal Stipe identifies as queer, and has had relationships with both men and women.

I expect Bisons because a) alliteration  and b) you can't wash your hands in a bear...

(Not a clue what to make of the video above, but I liked the use of sunglasses.)
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #24840 on: February 16, 2020, 10:20:14 pm »
And why do they have a Union Flag on the wall ?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24841 on: February 17, 2020, 08:54:39 am »
I expect Bisons because a) alliteration  and b) you can't wash your hands in a bear...
Perhaps they just like vodka (look it up)? Anyway, there are no bisons in Bristol but there are real, live, wild bears (not from Surrey):
https://wildplace.org.uk/explore-the-park/bear-wood
I expect if asked to play rugby, they'd just eat the ball. Or the referee.

And why do they have a Union Flag on the wall ?
Looks like a school corridor to me.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24842 on: February 17, 2020, 08:55:38 am »
Yesterday I came across a phrase for estate agent that is almost as good as "mistake agent": a "terrestrial business rogue."
(click to show/hide)

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #24844 on: February 17, 2020, 04:37:53 pm »
Ship abandoned near Bermuda in October 2018 runs aground in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/storm-dennis-washes-abandoned-ghost-ship-onto-rocks-off-co-cork-1.4175774
Mayday, mayday our ship is sinking very very slowly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are some seriously well scrubbed young chaps in dark clothing going around my estate in pairs & knocking on doors  :jurek:

I fear they may be missionaries.    Intercom disconnected & boiling oil at the ready......

https://slippedisc.com/2020/02/stray-cat-is-star-of-baroque-concert/

Keeping the materials for fresh strings close to hand.....

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
#bollockstobrexit

Cudzoziemiec

There are some seriously well scrubbed young chaps in dark clothing going around my estate in pairs & knocking on doors  :jurek:

I fear they may be missionaries.    Intercom disconnected & boiling oil at the ready......
Nah, high class burglars casing the joint.

Cudzoziemiec

I've just been to a meeting with BCC planning officers. They turned up on bikes!  :thumbsup: And the meeting was about a bus stop!!!  :o