Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 1777210 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
It says the bison will be in a 200ha fenced off area. I expect they're worried about dogs and poachers, in addition to mountain bikers.

Dog walking is already heavily restricted in the woods, limited to certain paths (partly because it's an RSPB conservation area). Not that anyone pays much attention to the rules, and nor are they enforced as far as I can tell, but maybe a herd of bloody great bison roaming free will persuade people to be more co-operative.

Hence the need for the fence.
Portaloos for Brexit

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
This is happening in my local woods, where I go walking, running and cycling:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/13/wildlife-rangers-in-uk-jobs-offer-no-bison-experience-required

If I were in any way qualified for the role, I'd be seriously tempted to apply. Only slight concern I have is what are bison like around bicycles? (There are a lot of unofficial MTB trails through the woods, probably in areas where the bison would be roaming. They introduced wild boar to another local woods not so long ago and the whole area where they roam is now fenced off with no public access.)

Shall we be seeing a Kentish equivalent of Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump then?  IIRC the USAnian National Park Service disrecommends going near said gert hairy coos as they are not very bright and somewhat prone to not caring who or what they tread on when alarmed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

A github page for Science museum exhibits that no one has looked at online

https://thesciencemuseum.github.io/never-been-seen/index.html

I got a Universal voltmeter type 261 Serial No.116 made by Sapphire Research and Electronics Ltd followed by a Bronze buddhist statue of Avalokitesvara, Sino-Tibetan, 1701-1900
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Cudzoziemiec

Pewter container for warming food or holding tea, consisting of five compartments, covered in engraved floral and foliate decoration with relief heads and surmounted by crown, possibly Chinese, 1801-1900
Not sure I understand why the objects are initially pixelated nor why it is only "never before seen online" objects, but the things themselves can be interesting.
Portaloos for Brexit

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
I really shouldn't be surprised by this, but I am.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/25/edinburgh-jenners-store-on-princes-street-to-close-on-3-may

And the really strange thing is, given it wasn't the best employer I've ever had, that I'm a little bit sad about it.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

It looks like a gorgeous building and I guess one of the advantages of a department store, as opposed to a hotel, is that you can wander round large parts of it without actually having to buy anything. And one of the advantages of department stores and hotels as opposed to supermarkets is that they can have impressive architecture.
Portaloos for Brexit