Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3074563 times)

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27650 on: 02 November, 2021, 10:58:33 am »
I think I've just been 'brushed'  :o

It seems to be the 'brushing scam' - I've received an unsolicited package containing a really carp plastic game. The package came addressed to me, tax paid from Germany, but peeling back several layers of labels its origin is clearly China.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54055669

It's odd because it doesn't seem to originate from Amazon and it was delivered by Royal Mail, I've got no notifications or request for a review  (yet). I suspect it's an eBay seller as I do buy a lot of rubbish off eBay and rarely interact with Amazon.

I'm sure my grandchildren will get 30 seconds of fun out of it (and then it will break).
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27651 on: 02 November, 2021, 02:03:10 pm »
Both my assistant (who has put down a few pads before) and the driver were unimpressed by my not having a power float (yeah, not having a car makes that a bit difficult).

Crikey, whatever became of the thick plank held vertically with a bod at either end?

I remember being roped into laying a drive like that by my dad BITD
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #27652 on: 02 November, 2021, 04:59:31 pm »
I think I've just been 'brushed'  :o

It seems to be the 'brushing scam' - I've received an unsolicited package containing a really carp plastic game. The package came addressed to me, tax paid from Germany, but peeling back several layers of labels its origin is clearly China.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54055669

It's odd because it doesn't seem to originate from Amazon and it was delivered by Royal Mail, I've got no notifications or request for a review  (yet). I suspect it's an eBay seller as I do buy a lot of rubbish off eBay and rarely interact with Amazon.

I'm sure my grandchildren will get 30 seconds of fun out of it (and then it will break).

I got one of those a couple of weeks ago. They don't ask you to write the review, they do it themselves!
As advised on Amazon's website I did report it but they didn't seem massively interested. I'm not convinced they even logged it.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #27653 on: 05 November, 2021, 08:42:28 am »
Not intended for discussion, as POBI is that way ↓↓↓ but others may find this analysis by Alastair Campbell of Johnson and all he reprsents interesting, even if it is, by his own admission, longer on analysis than answers.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #27654 on: 05 November, 2021, 07:15:19 pm »
Proud dad moment - daughter got accepted for a masters in Child Psychology (a funded vocational course with the NHS and only 24 places across Scotland) and has been voted Barnardo's volunteer of the year. Only downside - she applied for Fife, Tayside and D&G and got D&G so she will be moving 'back home'. :)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #27655 on: 05 November, 2021, 08:19:50 pm »
Good for MsDG :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #27656 on: 05 November, 2021, 10:00:02 pm »
Next week I'm doing my first travelling since Feb 2020, 2 days in Furrybootoon I've almost forgotten what I need to do.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27657 on: 06 November, 2021, 04:24:28 pm »
The gammonati absolutely HATE this year's Christmas ad from John Lewis  ;D

(Ruined a good song, though, as usual)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #27658 on: 06 November, 2021, 04:56:18 pm »
Proud dad moment - daughter got accepted for a masters in Child Psychology (a funded vocational course with the NHS and only 24 places across Scotland) and has been voted Barnardo's volunteer of the year.
Congratulations

Only downside - she applied for Fife, Tayside and D&G and got D&G so she will be moving 'back home'. :)
That's terrible news. How will you bear it?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #27659 on: 06 November, 2021, 07:04:50 pm »

I've only seen it silently, on my tablet, so wasn't aware of the song.  I think its lovely, and touching, but then I'm a soppy old romantic.
Wombat

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #27660 on: 07 November, 2021, 02:52:54 pm »
I thought John Lewis had died last year?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27661 on: 07 November, 2021, 07:48:28 pm »
Their webby SCIENCE was very much alive yesterday, when we confirmed that their freezers were twice the price of those offered by the opposition.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27662 on: 07 November, 2021, 09:54:02 pm »
I've only seen it silently, on my tablet, so wasn't aware of the song.  I think its lovely, and touching, but then I'm a soppy old romantic.
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #27663 on: 09 November, 2021, 07:00:50 pm »
Today I've done my last exam invigilating session at the local secondary school. I handed my notice in a couple of weeks ago.

I'd stopped enjoying doing it, and the stresses of family mean that I need more 'head space' and this is a small step in simplifying life.
It gave me an insight into how schools operate and reminded me of what curious creatures teenagers are.

I'm glad I've done it, but won't miss it.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #27664 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:48:09 am »
There are so many threads this idiot could go in:

A terminally ill man who bared his behind to a speed camera van says he was "gobsmacked" to be arrested at home...

...He decided to target the speed camera van on Stourbridge Road in his home town after he had been "caught by them a couple of times for silly speeds like 35mph in a 30 zone and it always bugged me"...

...He said about six officers arrived at his home a short time later asking to be let in and when he refused, his garden gate was kicked in and the officers got him to the ground to cuff him.

He said his wife filmed the "frightening" incident during which Mr Meekcom told the officers he was terminally ill and would struggle to breathe. He said he also suffered a blow to the head.

"I did not resist arrest once and I felt the response was completely disproportionate in the circumstances," he said...

...West Mercia Police spokesman said officers received a report of indecent exposure on Stourbridge Road at about 13:00 GMT on 5 November and located a person of interest in Coiey Close.

"A 55-year-old man from Kidderminster was arrested on suspicion of public order offences and released on bail."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-59226569
(my bold)

Yes, the coppers were heavy-handed when they made their arrest, but what did the twat think was going to happen? Does being diagnosed with a terminal illness give you carte blanche to act like a twat and break the law? He's right about one thing. If the posted limit is 30mph then it *is* silly to do 35.
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27665 on: 10 November, 2021, 09:45:57 am »
There's a 5 kph tolerance in France. It used to be 10 kph until they realized that speedometers have got a lot more accurate since 1935.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27666 on: 10 November, 2021, 10:28:29 am »
Does being diagnosed with a terminal illness give you carte blanche to act like a twat and break the law?

It kind of does, doesn't it?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #27667 on: 10 November, 2021, 10:47:03 am »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #27668 on: 10 November, 2021, 01:17:06 pm »
There are so many threads this idiot could go in:

A terminally ill man who bared his behind to a speed camera van says he was "gobsmacked" to be arrested at home...

...He decided to target the speed camera van on Stourbridge Road in his home town after he had been "caught by them a couple of times for silly speeds like 35mph in a 30 zone and it always bugged me"...

...He said about six officers arrived at his home a short time later asking to be let in and when he refused, his garden gate was kicked in and the officers got him to the ground to cuff him.

He said his wife filmed the "frightening" incident during which Mr Meekcom told the officers he was terminally ill and would struggle to breathe. He said he also suffered a blow to the head.

"I did not resist arrest once and I felt the response was completely disproportionate in the circumstances," he said...

...West Mercia Police spokesman said officers received a report of indecent exposure on Stourbridge Road at about 13:00 GMT on 5 November and located a person of interest in Coiey Close.

"A 55-year-old man from Kidderminster was arrested on suspicion of public order offences and released on bail."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-59226569
(my bold)

Yes, the coppers were heavy-handed when they made their arrest, but what did the twat think was going to happen? Does being diagnosed with a terminal illness give you carte blanche to act like a twat and break the law? He's right about one thing. If the posted limit is 30mph then it *is* silly to do 35.

Were they heavy handed?

He claims he wasn't resisting arrest, but refused to let them into his garden.

Very easy to imagine him 'not resisting arrest' but refusing to put his hands together to be cuffed (why did they feel it necessary to do that? Him refusing to accompany them to the police station maybe?) could easily result in him tripping.

They might have been heavy-handed, but I suspect he is a bolshy sod who told them where to go and refused to follow instructions.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #27669 on: 10 November, 2021, 02:58:00 pm »
It's Remembrance day tomorrow, that time of year when people forget what it is actually for and make it all about them.

And on that note...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #27670 on: 10 November, 2021, 03:38:14 pm »
FX: BRIIIINNNG BRIIIINNNG

Mr Larrington:Hello?
Anonymous Caller:Hello? Mr Larrington?
Mr Larrington:Speaking...
Anonymous Caller:Fucking police!

FX: CLICK

WTF was that all about?

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #27671 on: 10 November, 2021, 04:42:53 pm »
Her Majesty's Constabulary for Horizontal Calisthenics wishing to converse with you?

Performance review and all that?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #27672 on: 10 November, 2021, 07:21:05 pm »
Hurrah!  New remote control for A/V receiver = no more sore and callused stubby peasant thumb trying to switch the thing of of an evening  :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #27673 on: 10 November, 2021, 08:30:51 pm »
I'm just enjoying saying hashtag cock destroyer at the end of random sentences. It really improves them. I should probably stop this before my weekly 1-to-1 with the CEO tomorrow.