Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3074301 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
They appear to be packing up and going home already.  Odd.

A young couple who recently bought a flat in our typically shoddily converted Victorian building just emailed us (the other residents / freeholders) asking for the detailed drawings of the gas, electric, water, drainage and other wiring.

Is there an appropriate response other than “you wot mate”?

ROTFL?

Beardy

• Shedist

I read recently the original prince Albert was not a piercing but a ring. We shall probably never know the truth (unless, maybe, Victoria was also an early photographer?) and that's probably all the better.
I always thought that the Prince Albert was so named in reference to the Albert and Double Albert watch chain. I hve to,say though, that it’s not something I’ve studied.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
A young couple who recently bought a flat in our typically shoddily converted Victorian building just emailed us (the other residents / freeholders) asking for the detailed drawings of the gas, electric, water, drainage and other wiring.

Is there an appropriate response other than “you wot mate”?

Quixoticgeek might be able to help you with that...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #30555 on: 01 February, 2024, 07:55:53 pm »
Gosh.  Biggles (and Ginger) were on night flights tonight. ✈️.  I don't think I've ever seen heard that before.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #30556 on: 01 February, 2024, 07:58:53 pm »
Gosh.  Biggles (and Ginger) were on night flights tonight. ✈️.  I don't think I've ever seen heard that before.
We need more context to this.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #30557 on: 02 February, 2024, 12:04:16 am »
OK. Biggles (Google him) is my name for the occasional low flying military jets that scream through the sky above Llandysul, and most other parts of Wales from time to time. There are usually two of them, hence the reference to his mate Ginger.
It's only occasionally, but incredibly loud and disconcerting.
I've only ever experienced this during daylight hours, but tonight, for the first time ever, the came over1 after dark.
Something new?

1 OK.  Not actually over.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #30558 on: 02 February, 2024, 07:44:44 am »
OK. Biggles (Google him) is my name for the occasional low flying military jets that scream through the sky above Llandysul, and most other parts of Wales from time to time. There are usually two of them, hence the reference to his mate Ginger.
I've only ever experienced this during daylight hours, but tonight, for the first time ever, the came over1 after dark.
Something new?

Presumably Biggles and Ginger were hunting for their arch-enemy Erich Von Stalhein  - while Algy was back at base waiting in case he was needed.

« Reply #30559 on: 02 February, 2024, 07:48:49 am »
Something new?
We used to live in the village at one end of the Yeovilton runway, when they still had Harriers there.
Most of the time it wasn't a problem as they tended to fly when we were at work and the ex-Navy flat we had was fitted with external double glazing (actually internal as it was on the inside edge of the windowsills).
When the Bosnian crisis got heated, they started doing night flights. This coincided with a spell of warm weather so we had the windows open. A Harrier at not very many feet is noisy.
Fortunately they tended to stop by midnight.
I'd guess the Gulf situation is the reason this time.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #30560 on: 02 February, 2024, 10:12:59 am »
Something new?

Are you sure it wasn't the Israelis popping in to top up their weaponry?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #30561 on: 02 February, 2024, 02:50:38 pm »
The ceiling light in my bedroom has been functioning with the same bulb in it for the 21 years I've been living in this house.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30562 on: 02 February, 2024, 03:31:07 pm »
The ceiling light in my bedroom has been functioning with the same bulb in it for the 21 years I've been living in this house.
We can close the thread now.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30563 on: 02 February, 2024, 04:06:13 pm »
The the bulb in the ceiling lamp in MY bedroom has been in place and working since before I took over this house on 15 November 1999, which is over 24 years.

It’s the only PINK bulb here.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30564 on: 02 February, 2024, 04:48:14 pm »

CFL?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30565 on: 02 February, 2024, 11:03:27 pm »

Rishi Swnac is about to declare war on Wales.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #30566 on: 03 February, 2024, 08:36:08 am »

CFL?
Nope. Oversize (spherical) incandescent globe. It was here when I moved in - so it's actually more than 21 years old.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30567 on: 03 February, 2024, 12:06:39 pm »
We have an external, above the door, IR switched on, outside light.

We moved in 1997 and I put the luminaire, a 60w incandescent one, in then.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30568 on: 04 February, 2024, 12:22:40 am »

CFL?

The PINK long-lasting bulb in our bedroom is incandescent...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30569 on: 04 February, 2024, 12:28:53 am »
I have a couple of bog standard incandescents of a similar vintage, but they've spent most of the last two decades (and a couple of house moves) in the light bulbs box, only being brought out on the odd occasion that I need a predictable test load for something.

Presumably its colour is a contributory factor in its longevity....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30570 on: 04 February, 2024, 03:39:35 pm »
I have a couple of bog standard incandescents of a similar vintage, but they've spent most of the last two decades (and a couple of house moves) in the light bulbs box, only being brought out on the odd occasion that I need a predictable test load for something.
Presumably its colour is a contributory factor in its longevity....

No idea! This is the light directly above the bed. It is operated by a pull cord switch overhead. D uses it when he trims his nails but we mainly use the ‘main’ light switched by the doorside switch and bedside table lamps.

« Reply #30571 on: 06 February, 2024, 09:42:18 pm »
Another good reason to support the National Trust !     :P

https://x.com/CeliaRichards0n/status/1754824944553230614?s=20

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #30572 on: 06 February, 2024, 09:56:11 pm »
'sex people', lol.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30573 on: 07 February, 2024, 11:03:12 am »
TOBAGO:

A very happy client described themselves as "like a kid in a sweatshop".

Suggests a rather different meaning to what I presume was intended!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #30574 on: 07 February, 2024, 11:24:37 am »
 ;D
TOBAGO:

A very happy client described themselves as "like a kid in a sweatshop".

Suggests a rather different meaning to what I presume was intended!
<i>Marmite slave</i>