Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3074682 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27675 on: 10 November, 2021, 10:09:52 pm »
I'm just enjoying saying hashtag cock destroyer at the end of random sentences. It really improves them. I should probably stop this before my weekly 1-to-1 with the CEO tomorrow.
A hashtag cock destroyer is something that destroys people who use cocky hashtags?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #27677 on: 11 November, 2021, 05:30:03 pm »
I only saw one person with a poppy today and no poppy sellers. I suppose they'll be out on Sunday. Or maybe not.

« Reply #27678 on: 11 November, 2021, 06:20:22 pm »
In our village they've not been able to do the door to door poppy rounds because the volunteers don't feel it's safe. Most of them are on the elderly side. Maybe the same is true of the street collections.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27679 on: 11 November, 2021, 06:24:33 pm »
I don't recall ever seeing a door to door poppy seller.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27680 on: 11 November, 2021, 07:09:48 pm »
I only saw one person with a poppy today and no poppy sellers. I suppose they'll be out on Sunday. Or maybe not.

Our club run went to a local village war memorial today at the appointed hour - only us there, the village will be turning out en masse on Sunday.

There does seem to be a lack of poppy sellers, and fewer shops with them too. Last year was pretty traumatic for them (as with most other charities) but hopefully they'll recover.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27681 on: 11 November, 2021, 07:18:48 pm »
I don't recall ever seeing a door to door poppy seller.

They were a thing when I was a child.  Assume they're a bit like doorstep milk deliveries, in that I assume they died out decades ago, but it turns out that I'm just living in less middle-class places.

Anyway, weren't we all supposed to have stocked up on poppies and poppy-related tat back in mid-October?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #27682 on: 11 November, 2021, 07:47:56 pm »
Dunno about October, but I took a fairly bad photo of a wonderful poppy field near Uffington back in June. I'd genuinely never seen so many poppies growing in such a huge mass.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27683 on: 11 November, 2021, 11:17:12 pm »
I don’t suppose the local selling of poppy related tat is helped by the ability to by reusable poppy related tat online   
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27684 on: 12 November, 2021, 12:51:22 am »
Poppy benches and poppy silhouettes of Tommy.

No. Just, please, No.  :hand:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27686 on: 12 November, 2021, 05:48:26 am »
 :sick:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #27687 on: 12 November, 2021, 08:48:21 am »
Looking at that page, there's a "this product would go great with.."

Options include
(click to show/hide)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #27688 on: 12 November, 2021, 11:56:58 am »
I for one would be overwhelmed were I to receive for Christmas a Luxury Scented Dave Grohl Candle.  No products featuring Lemmy though.  Shame on them!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #27690 on: 12 November, 2021, 03:04:58 pm »
Poppy benches and poppy silhouettes of Tommy.

No. Just, please, No.  :hand:

Are you referring to the Tommy 'is that a rifle in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me' badge?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27691 on: 12 November, 2021, 05:49:45 pm »
Badge, statue, garden ornament...

https://rbli.shop
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #27692 on: 12 November, 2021, 05:52:56 pm »

The lapel pin @ £12 got a lot of funny comments on FB

« Reply #27693 on: 12 November, 2021, 06:04:32 pm »
Looking at that page, there's a "this product would go great with.."

Options include
(click to show/hide)
I think you may've won the internet, Tim.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27694 on: 12 November, 2021, 06:57:07 pm »

Having seen the Tommy silhouettes around many of the local villages over the last few years I made this for our front fence this year (and made a donation for a real poppy)

... I have a series of seasonal cut-outs that go on the fence (little kids walking by on the way to school love them) - snowmen and snowball plus Father Christmas, Easter bunny, chick and Easter egg . . .  I'm working on a yellow TdeF bike cut out for next year.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #27695 on: 12 November, 2021, 07:05:55 pm »

...which just happens to be the location of the Cenotaph on W3W!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #27696 on: 12 November, 2021, 07:15:27 pm »
I for one would be overwhelmed were I to receive for Christmas a Luxury Scented Dave Grohl Candle.  No products featuring Lemmy though.  Shame on them!

Well, there's the sister's present sorted.

ian

« Reply #27697 on: 15 November, 2021, 11:17:41 am »
I shared a dataset last week – some regional trends since 1980.

Got an email this morning saying there's something wrong, there are two separate rows for Germany...

« Reply #27698 on: 15 November, 2021, 12:42:01 pm »
I shared a dataset last week – some regional trends since 1980.

Got an email this morning saying there's something wrong, there are two separate rows for Germany...
PMSL

Probably born post reunification.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #27699 on: 15 November, 2021, 12:59:56 pm »
There does seem to be a lack of poppy sellers, and fewer shops with them too. Last year was pretty traumatic for them (as with most other charities) but hopefully they'll recover.

I was surprised to sea poppy's being sold in the Expat shop in Amsterdam.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/