Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3074498 times)

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #30575 on: 08 February, 2024, 08:09:45 am »
In an office which ordinarily accommodates ~80 people, today, there are this many people present: 2.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #30576 on: 08 February, 2024, 11:30:36 am »
In an office which ordinarily accommodates ~80 people, today, there are this many people present: 2.

That sounds familiar.

Thursdays in our office are usually very quiet. Mondays and Fridays even more so. The area of the office our department uses also has capacity for around 80 and it's normal for there to be no more than a handful in on those days.

Wednesdays are always rammed. Tuesdays popular but not quite so busy.

Our current arrangement is to spend 50% of our working hours in the office. I would rather not go in on Wednesdays but it's the best day to be in for collaborating with team-mates. Seems pointless going in to the office if none of your team are there.

Monday and Friday would also be good from a travel point of view - the trains are always much, much less busy.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #30577 on: 08 February, 2024, 11:54:57 am »
My feet destroy sheets.

Mrs C has just shown me the holes in the sheets. They look like a cat used them as a scratching post.

I keep my nails trimmed. She blames coarse rough skin.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30578 on: 08 February, 2024, 12:14:44 pm »
Monday and Friday would also be good from a travel point of view - the trains are always much, much less busy.
And it used to cost extra to travel on Fridays! At least on mainlines to/from London.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #30579 on: 10 February, 2024, 06:40:42 pm »
Lots of fireworks here at the moment.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30580 on: 10 February, 2024, 06:44:38 pm »
Year of the Dragon.  I swear we only just had that in *checks notes* 1988.

« Reply #30581 on: 10 February, 2024, 07:07:33 pm »
Seems pointless going in to the office if none of your team are there.

I go in to the office for the decent showers, the bike ride in, the coffee machines, heating, big screens and no RDP lag. If the rest of my team bothers to turn up that's a small bonus.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30582 on: 11 February, 2024, 10:24:28 am »
Year of the Dragon.  I swear we only just had that in *checks notes* 1988.

I remember the film: Mickey Rourke, directed my Michael Cimino.  I noticed back then that several of Cimino's films included the line "you're full of shit, Stan[ley]". Wonder if he had a scunner against Kubrick.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30583 on: 11 February, 2024, 08:15:13 pm »
My feet destroy sheets.

Mrs C has just shown me the holes in the sheets. They look like a cat used them as a scratching post.

I keep my nails trimmed. She blames coarse rough skin.

Me too, very rough feets
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30584 on: 11 February, 2024, 10:03:19 pm »
My Mum is Abroad and roaming with (Dad’s old) iPhone. I don’t know on which telco’s network.

Things are busy socially and she doesn’t like answering her phone in a crowd.

My ID/location showed as ‘Los Angeles’ when I called her today.

She ignored my first call as she knew nobody ‘important’ likely to call her from LA. She answered my next call and was surprised to hear me.

I have not budged from Burnt Oak and was using my landline.

sam

« Reply #30585 on: 12 February, 2024, 11:07:21 am »
Have had the best day in ages and it's not even noon. Apologies in advance for the meme, but it's so this:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #30586 on: 13 February, 2024, 01:07:29 pm »
Reached into usual side leg pocket and, poo bags were there none.
Oh dear, embarrassing.  Luckily there was another emptyist nearby, heading my way, so I didn't have to stand guard very long.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30587 on: 14 February, 2024, 06:55:52 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/14/piece-of-londons-jewish-east-end-feared-lost-as-beigel-shop-shuts

It's a while ago now, but I think that's the shop a LFGSS ride to Cambridge started from. I recall that it was a cold, bright November day and Jane and I kept one another company in the second half of the ride. I think it's the only occasion that I have eaten a hot salt beef beigel - which in my ignorance I would normally spell "bagel".
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30588 on: 14 February, 2024, 07:08:11 pm »
I didn't know you rode a fixie / single-speed, Wow?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #30589 on: 14 February, 2024, 07:14:33 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/14/piece-of-londons-jewish-east-end-feared-lost-as-beigel-shop-shuts

It's a while ago now, but I think that's the shop a LFGSS ride to Cambridge started from. I recall that it was a cold, bright November day and Jane and I kept one another company in the second half of the ride. I think it's the only occasion that I have eaten a hot salt beef beigel - which in my ignorance I would normally spell "bagel".

Fear not - there's another beigel/bagel shop that's open 24 hours 2 doors along the street . . .  both were late night haunts of mine back in the 60s and 70s when I lived and worked in East London (the other 24hr place was Dunkin' Donuts in Farringdon Street where the "casuals" working on the Fleet Street newspapers would while away their time between signing on for a shift and waiting for the shift to finish and collect their cash in hand for no work)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30590 on: 14 February, 2024, 07:40:50 pm »
I didn't know you rode a fixie / single-speed, Wow?

It's a bit like YACF. You don't actually have to ride a bike to be a member...  :P

Although I did have a ss bike at one time. In fact, I still have one - my 1960 Mercian frame is set up as a ss. But on that ride I was Rohloff-equipped.

« Reply #30591 on: 14 February, 2024, 08:17:48 pm »
Originally, both of the shops were owned/run by members of the same family. Until she recently left my workplace, I worked with someone who's family own/run the remaining shop. I visit, reasonably regularly, on a Sunday morning to fetch my breakfast. Hot salt beef on rye with mustard and pickle. Nom!
Makes a change from floating in there after I'd spent the early hours in a night club. ;)

« Reply #30592 on: 14 February, 2024, 08:24:59 pm »

I've a feeling that I was on that ride.
Was I?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30593 on: 14 February, 2024, 10:47:27 pm »
Sorry, Jurek, my memory fails me.

I'll have a google and see if I can find anything. It was led by a forummer from your neck of the woods, who I think sold me the single speed mentioned upthread. Paul someone? Didn't I sell it to you afterwards? Again, my memory fails me...

Edit: it was 18th November 2013 and the ride was led by PaulR. I haven't found a ride report.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30594 on: 14 February, 2024, 11:08:56 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=65112.msg1358382#msg1358382

Yes, Jurek, you were!  :D

A few days afterwards, Jane drew my attention to some comments on the LGFSS forum. During the closing stages of the ride, Jane and I were accompanied by a young chap named James, IIRC, who had just bought himself a very beautiful second-hand Dawes Galaxy. James had very few miles in his legs and faltered rather after about the 40 mile mark - prior to that point, James and Jane were mostly waiting for me to catch up. Thereafter, it was Jane and me waiting for James.

Someone on the LGFSS forum asked "Did the old guy finish? Peter, I think his name was...?"

James replied along the lines of "The old guy, as you call him, made 100k look like a stroll in the park."

Old guy indeed! I was only 59!

I have the route somewhere on my computer but currently not accessible to the wider world. I must resurrect my routes and put them on my website.

« Reply #30595 on: 15 February, 2024, 01:25:40 pm »
Just had a bunch (swarm, flock, squadron?) of yellow butterflies across our garden. Oxfordshire? February? Yer what?

Not much in the way of flowers for them yet, poor things.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30596 on: 15 February, 2024, 02:10:40 pm »
Someone on the LGFSS forum asked "Did the old guy finish? Peter, I think his name was...?"

James replied along the lines of "The old guy, as you call him, made 100k look like a stroll in the park."

You have always been the old guy and always will be! Even if, by my calculation, in the very beginning of the forum age (say 2005?) you must have been younger, or rather less old, than I am now.  :-\ Where did all this age come from?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30597 on: 15 February, 2024, 02:11:35 pm »
Just had a bunch (swarm, flock, squadron?) of yellow butterflies across our garden. Oxfordshire? February? Yer what?

Not much in the way of flowers for them yet, poor things.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Fleet? Someone will be along shortly with the correct term. But yeah, bad timing for them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30598 on: 15 February, 2024, 08:21:16 pm »

You have always been the old guy and always will be! Even if, by my calculation, in the very beginning of the forum age (say 2005?) you must have been younger, or rather less old, than I am now.  :-\ Where did all this age come from?

This forum began on 28th March 2008. I would have been 53.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30599 on: 15 February, 2024, 10:18:04 pm »
I  was still in my 30s then.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."