Author Topic: Volcano Grounds 'Planes  (Read 54130 times)

Re: Volcano Grounds 'Planes
« Reply #200 on: 16 April, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »
Good business for some.  We've had several orders for extra bandwidth today from ferry & travel companies  :)

And I suspect one of my best mates is stuck in NYC with his boyfriend,  I doubt if he'll be complaining about not being able to get back to work .....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #201 on: 16 April, 2010, 09:53:18 pm »
does the dust only affect jets? if so why can't FlyBe and the BA Outer Hebrides planes etc operate?

Flybe use Dash-8 Turbo-props - the engines of which are basically small jet engines with propellers.

thanks; as are helicopter engines according to this; although I assume they are allowed to fly as they don't get up to the alititude where the ash is.

Engines

I flew back from Amsterdam last year and was sitting next to an aviation expert; I asked him why an airliner would bother climbing all the way up to 35000 ft on such a short flight when as soon as it got up there it almost immediately started to descend,

he said it was due to the efficiency of modern jet engines and was a lot more economic than staying at a lower altitude even for a 40 minute flight; I had presumed that they had to be at cruising altitude in order to slot into the air traffic control that all the longer haul flights used.

UK air ambulances are grounded...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

border-rider

« Reply #202 on: 16 April, 2010, 09:57:45 pm »
There was someone doing lesisurely aerobatics in a little private plane over here today

Zoidburg

« Reply #203 on: 16 April, 2010, 09:58:43 pm »
A lot of UK air ambulances are NOTAR configuration that use thrust vectoring for torque control.

I can see why they grounded them.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #204 on: 17 April, 2010, 02:27:57 am »
That seems unlikely, given that the latest VAAC advisory graphic predicts that the ash (at altitude) will cover the whole of northern Europe from the English channel northwards at 6am tomorrow.

It's probably more a case that they haven't decided to get around to cancelling those yet.

Damn you, TimO!  ;)

Ever since you posted that, their images directory has become my most-watched page on the internet.

The latest one doesn't look at all good:

Think I'm going to write next week off, and book a flight direct from California to South of Spain (for my training camp, the week after  :thumbsup:).

« Reply #205 on: 17 April, 2010, 06:08:10 am »
Think I'm going to write next week off, and book a flight direct from California to South of Spain (for my training camp, the week after  :thumbsup:).

...so long as the the cloud doesn't drift any further south (it looks like northern-most Spain is probably already closed). :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #206 on: 17 April, 2010, 10:28:01 am »
We dont live under a low level flight path, and this may just be my imagination, but I am enjoying what seems to be a much quieter enviroment. I hope this continues.

Around half a million people directly or indirectly employed by aviation in UK are fervently hoping it doesn't go on long. At a cost of £200m a day, just in UK, there are several businesses in aviation already looking shaky. The cash outflow right now is horrendous, and it will get worse. It may well see more than one airline closed permanently.

Chris S

« Reply #207 on: 17 April, 2010, 11:33:17 am »
We dont live under a low level flight path, and this may just be my imagination, but I am enjoying what seems to be a much quieter enviroment. I hope this continues.

Around half a million people directly or indirectly employed by aviation in UK are fervently hoping it doesn't go on long. At a cost of £200m a day, just in UK, there are several businesses in aviation already looking shaky. The cash outflow right now is horrendous, and it will get worse. It may well see more than one airline closed permanently.

And that's before the stranded passengers all start exercising their rights to refunds and compensation under EU Regs 261 and 264. I can see several carriers going to the wall because of this :(.

What I think will also happen is - over the course of the next week (it's already happening), businesses will be forced to embrace such wonderments as video conferencing, conference calls, webex sessions and so on, because their staff cannot travel. A proportion of those will probably see the light, and continue to do more business electronically and remotely, and reduce their travel budgets thereafter.

The Greens of course will be rubbing their hands with glee. The poor folk who work in the industry will be less enthused.

« Reply #208 on: 17 April, 2010, 12:00:54 pm »

Is this whats known as an act of god?
I am sure there will be a point when the financial costs out weigh the risk.
otoh I have just got back in from my normal Saturday ride, and tbh I am loving the quiet. Perhaps your lucky to live somewhere that is quiet all the time

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #209 on: 17 April, 2010, 12:10:23 pm »
Act of Nature.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #210 on: 17 April, 2010, 12:10:56 pm »
There was someone doing lesisurely aerobatics in a little private plane over here today
There were a Robinson helicopter and a light aircraft stooging around over Gatwick yesterday

Tourist Tony

« Reply #211 on: 17 April, 2010, 12:12:31 pm »
Just looked at flight radar....something headed East from Aberdeen, but nothing else north of Spain

EDIT: The Scots one has vanished, must have been a glitch

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #212 on: 17 April, 2010, 12:43:11 pm »

The airline industry is one of the most heavily subsidised industries in the UK, and around the world. A few of them going bust will be no loss to the majority of people and we will get a few planes out of circulation permenantly which can't be a bad thing. Less noise, less polution, less money coming out of the tax payers coffers.

Of course there is also a human cost if an airline goes bust and people loose their jobs. Welcome to the real world where this happens to people every day in all sorts of industies. I've been made redundant 5 times in the past 20 years. Crap happens to all of us all the time but we just get on with life.

I'm enjoying the relative peace and quiet for as long as it lasts..... Now how can we get all the cars off the road for a few days as well.

Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

Chris S

« Reply #213 on: 17 April, 2010, 01:57:24 pm »
Now how can we get all the cars off the road for a few days as well.

A weak pound and >$100 a barrel oil price would easily conspire to give us a £2.00+/ltr fuel price which would probably go a long way to having the effect you're looking for. The already sick economy probably wouldn't respond well to that though...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #214 on: 17 April, 2010, 02:53:38 pm »
Just looked at flight radar....something headed East from Aberdeen, but nothing else north of Spain

East from Aberdeen?
Flights are coming in to Prestwick from US and Scotland is now cleared for internal flights.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #215 on: 17 April, 2010, 03:10:26 pm »
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tourist Tony

Zoidburg

« Reply #217 on: 17 April, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »
I have cycled onto the ferry to Norway.

It's rather fun.

« Reply #218 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:01:07 pm »
Not everything is grounded.

A helicopter and a light aircraft came over Chester this morning, not very high and presumably piston engined.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #219 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:14:09 pm »
Er, we always cycle on to and off from ferries.   Is there any other way?   ;D

Zoidburg

« Reply #220 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:18:07 pm »
Cross shipping by rope?

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #221 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:29:47 pm »
We're worried that there's going to be a shortage of baby sweetcorns imported by air from Thailand.

Zoidburg

« Reply #222 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:32:34 pm »
The UK service industry will grind to a halt!

Let's make unemployed BNP members change bed pans and clean office blocks instead.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #223 on: 17 April, 2010, 04:58:45 pm »

Or it succumbed to the ash.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #224 on: 17 April, 2010, 05:46:38 pm »

Yes, definitely. They make you walk onto the Stornoway ferry as the metal plates can be lethally slippery with water and diesel.
It is simpler than it looks.