Author Topic: Commuter Racing pondered  (Read 21281 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Commuter Racing pondered
« Reply #125 on: 21 February, 2011, 07:29:03 pm »
I'm a female lady and so's my wife.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #126 on: 21 February, 2011, 07:29:31 pm »
I shall take your word for it. :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #127 on: 24 February, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »
Had a bit of a race this evening.  Road bike with very skinny tyres passes me as I'm about to come off the cycle path (he was on the road and had priority).  I expected him to disappear into the distance, but no.  Once I'd got up to speed on the road he's only doing the same as me.  Shall I?  I did a long (for me) ride at lunchtime.  He's a lot younger than me.  Hang on, my top gear's bigger than his.  We're doing the same speed and his cadence is higher! (and I only have a cheap Kona MTB) No gear block?  Fixie?  So I now have a reason to chase! I want to ask!

I did catch him and it wasn't a fixie - just a single speed (although he can flip the wheel and the other side is fixed).

So, if you're reading this after your Yeovil-Montacute-Stoke commute -- thanks (and I was totally wrecked by the time I turned off!  ;D ;D)

Steve
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #128 on: 25 February, 2011, 09:23:13 am »
Yesterday, as I was walking to the shop, I saw the orange cargobike (we regularly see an orange one, a blue one and a yellow one) get passed by some chap on a hyprid.  Beardy-cargo-bike-rider was having none of that.  And since he clearly had better legs, and much better filtering skills, he completely won.  It made me smile.

« Reply #129 on: 07 March, 2011, 07:57:45 pm »
Due to lack of competition on my commute I have measured a 10 mile distance to ride as a relaxed TT !
A further 4 miles after this gives me time to cool down before arriving at work.

So this mornings 10 mile took me 36:30 ( measured via Endomondo GPS on phone )
Updates to follow.....................

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #130 on: 08 March, 2011, 08:52:34 am »
Reviewing the thread - it seems that the folk of YACF are invincible on the race.  We always scalp our man.  Or else we are a terrific bunch of boasters - obviously that could not be the case!

To set the balance straight I have been copmpletely blown away repeatedly lately by blokes in sportif road kit with deep profile shod steeds that glisten, often still showing the racenumbers from their recent exploits. They don't even as much as blink as they whiz by so low am I on their acknowledgement scale.  Many are in London Dynamo which is even worse.  No respect for their seniors at all. 
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

MartinGT

« Reply #131 on: 08 March, 2011, 09:07:25 am »
Reviewing the thread - it seems that the folk of YACF are invincible on the race.  We always scalp our man.  Or else we are a terrific bunch of boasters - obviously that could not be the case!

To set the balance straight I have been copmpletely blown away repeatedly lately by blokes in sportif road kit with deep profile shod steeds that glisten, often still showing the racenumbers from their recent exploits. They don't even as much as blink as they whiz by so low am I on their acknowledgement scale.  Many are in London Dynamo which is even worse.  No respect for their seniors at all. 

;D Thats made me chuckle Tigerrr :)

On my commute I very rarely see people who cycle away from their commute like myself.  I did last week and it was fun having to put the hammer down :)

« Reply #132 on: 07 April, 2011, 01:24:05 pm »
Due to lack of competition on my commute I have measured a 10 mile distance to ride as a relaxed TT !
A further 4 miles after this gives me time to cool down before arriving at work.

So this mornings 10 mile took me 36:30 ( measured via Endomondo GPS on phone )
Updates to follow.....................

A very poor 41:10 early this morning into a nagging headwind.

« Reply #133 on: 14 October, 2011, 06:25:53 am »
Slight tailwind this morning.

My 10 mile section from The Leap in Downend to The Hope & Anchor in Shirehampton took me 33:17  ;D

PB'd by over 3 minutes !!!  Averaged 18 miles/hour  :)