Author Topic: Memory-Map Adventurer 2800 GPS  (Read 3214 times)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
Memory-Map Adventurer 2800 GPS
« on: 02 May, 2010, 12:41:13 pm »
Memory-Map Adventurer 2800 GPS ?
 Has any one had experience of these?  I am considering entering the techno world and get a GPS unit, primarily I looked at Etrex or Vista Garmin handheld units but have seen this and it is compatible with Memory Maps which I already have and use.
 But I have heard some scare stories of units suffering from software crashes [probably standard with a Windoze base]

I know I can upload the Garmin recorded tracks to Memory map after a ride which could do but like the idea of having OS Map data with the MMadventurer on the move.

I also see some people go for the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx over Vista as they are more waterproof? but that means saving a bit more :D
 So what do the YACF massive think? :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

Re: Memory-Map Adventurer 2800 GPS
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2010, 12:53:12 pm »
I think the battery life is too short (internal rechargeable rather than AAs). Also the device itself looks pretty big compared to an Etrex.

OS maps (having tried this in the past with a smartphone) are not actually as useable on the move as the Garmin style mapping.

Waterproofness: I haven't heard of any problems with the Etrex regarding this, so I don't think it is a reason to go for the 60CSx over the Etrex.

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #2 on: 02 May, 2010, 01:06:48 pm »
Thankyou Sgt Pluck,
 I have just been reading about the short battery life  ::-) and the fact that it has a fixed battery  :-[

Useability of AA's triumphs I guess, so any preference over Etrex Legend to Vista?
"Don't stop pedalling"

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #3 on: 02 May, 2010, 01:17:18 pm »
I have both the Memory-Map Adventurer 2800 and the Garmin Etrex Vista Cx.

Swings and Roundabouts; but on balance, the Garmin is better and more useful, although the Garmin MapSource maps are not as easy to read as the OS Landranger ones on the Memory-Map, especially if off-road. (Cycle paths, bridleways, byways etc.)

The procedures to up/down-load routes/tracks/maps to/from the Adventurer are so complex that I've saved the pdf instruction sheet onto my PC, so I can refer to it each time I need to do these actions.  It's very odd that Memory-Map on the PC doesn't recognise the Adventurer as a GPS!
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #4 on: 02 May, 2010, 03:25:22 pm »
There is no doubt that the OS maps (I have Memory Map) are superb for anything off-road, and indeed if you were simply using the GPS to orientate yourself at a point it is excellent. But for following a route or track on normal roads, the OS scaling / zooming simply doesn't work well on a small screen. IMO.

However, if you have MM on the PC, it's easy to make and transfer tracks made on OS maps to the Garmin GPS.

I'd go for the Vista HCx.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2010, 03:45:21 pm »
I also see some people go for the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx over Vista as they are more waterproof? but that means saving a bit more :D
Useability of AA's triumphs I guess, so any preference over Etrex Legend to Vista?

The GPSMap 60CSx is probably the best handheld-type leisure-type GPS money can buy - but the Etrexes are IMO a better fit for cycling purposes - the 60 is just a bit too large for handlebar furniture, and its aerial is optimal when vertical (like a walkie-talkie) whereas the Etrex aerial is optimal when horizontal (like in handlebar-mounted).  In terms of software/display modes/accuracy/functionality etc both types are much the same, though the 60 screen is fractionally larger I think, and the button layout is better.  
I'm not aware of any waterproofness issues with the Etrexes - in heavy rain you will get some wetness in the battery compartment but this doesn't stop it working and it is well separated from the 'real' innards - just mop it out at the end of a wet day.  We've used ours on more non-stop-rainy days than I care to count, with no other water-related problems.

The Vista (and the 60CSx) has a compass (which I turn off) and a barometer (which I now also turn off) - so that leaves as the only other feature, an optional display mode showing the altitude profile of your ride so far, and one or two extra altitude-related 'data field' options.  The Legend (and the 60Cx) is identical apart from the above - it still 'does' altitude (and heading as long as it's moving) but can't display a graphical profile.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #6 on: 02 May, 2010, 09:08:00 pm »
 Thanks every one I have much to consider  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #7 on: 05 May, 2010, 05:17:33 pm »
I've used a Map60 CSx for several years now and I'm pretty pleased with it, on the whole. FF refers to the aerial/horizontal aspect but I can honestly say I've never had any issues with satellite reception when using it flat on the 'bars. The size may be an issue for some people and it's true that the Etrex shape and bike bracket is neater than the Garmin mount for the Map60. In fact the Map60 bike mount is a bit of a weak point for the model; my impression is that it's rather an afterthought. I've made other arrangements in this regard. The weight isn't important; less than two ounces difference between Extrex and Map60 if I recall.

One of the winning points for me with the Map60 is that the buttons are all on the lower front/top of the unit and are easily operated with full finger winter gloves or even mittens. This means I can mount lights and other junk up close tight beside the GPS without having to worry about being able to get to the buttons. Of course this may not be important for you. I also find the slightly larger screen helpful, because I like to run with two data fields showing on the top of the map, but that's a personal preference. Both the Map60 and the Extrex  are very "customisable" so you can tailor which screens to show to suit youself. FF is the guru in this (and many other Garmin) aspects.

I find the battery life using Energiser Lithiums pretty good - the current pair were put in something lilke 400km ago and are still showing "full charge".

Screen visibility in strong light is quite an issue with these things. The older style Garmins like the Map60 and Extrex are pretty good because the maps are simple but the units which display OS maps less so - again see FF's postings elsewhere.

With regard to the Memory Map Adventurer - I don't have any experience with this but I did look at it when it was first displayed at the Bike Show last year. I didn't like the built in battery with too short a life for Audaxing. I have a Satmap Active 10, which runs on AA cells and which also displays rolling OS maps of various scales, which I think is probably superior to the MMap Adventurer, but it is more expensive.

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #8 on: 05 May, 2010, 06:02:05 pm »
My Vista Hcx 'died' halfway through LEL last year during the tremendous watery tempest that engulfed us between Traquir and Eskdalemuir. After I got home I noticed water actually sloshing about in between the LCD screen and the Plastic screen cover that makes up the case. Needless to say, it did not work.... I left it (variously on a windowsill and radiator) for about 2-3 months and eventually it dried out. It now works just as well as before!  :thumbsup:

So, yes, it can let water in (but that night on LEL was pretty serious weather), but it isn't necessairly terminal.

« Reply #9 on: 05 May, 2010, 07:50:20 pm »
My Vista Hcx 'died' halfway through LEL last year during the tremendous watery tempest that engulfed us between Traquir and Eskdalemuir. After I got home I noticed water actually sloshing about in between the LCD screen and the Plastic screen cover that makes up the case. Needless to say, it did not work.... I left it (variously on a windowsill and radiator) for about 2-3 months and eventually it dried out. It now works just as well as before!  :thumbsup:

So, yes, it can let water in (but that night on LEL was pretty serious weather), but it isn't necessairly terminal.
Smug response alert ............... my Map60 CSx went through the same deluge and didn't miss a beat.

On the other hand, it's not too fond of being continuously jolted and I now use a cushioned mount. Power cut-out over rough roads is I believe something of a trait of several Garmin models, although I don't know if the newer touchscreen types have had this ironed out.

« Reply #10 on: 05 May, 2010, 08:12:54 pm »
Power cut-out over rough roads is I believe something of a trait of several Garmin models, although I don't know if the newer touchscreen types have had this ironed out.

I've had no problems with my Oregon.... Yet. The battery compartment is very snug.

« Reply #11 on: 05 May, 2010, 09:55:06 pm »
Power cut-out over rough roads is I believe something of a trait of several Garmin models, although I don't know if the newer touchscreen types have had this ironed out.

I've had no problems with my Oregon.... Yet. The battery compartment is very snug.
That's encouraging. I'm finding myself tempted by the Oregon but I'm a bit worried about the screen visibility and whether it would be difficult to operate the touchscreen with heavy winter gloves on - ?

« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2010, 10:48:46 pm »
I'm finding myself tempted by the Oregon but I'm a bit worried about the screen visibility and whether it would be difficult to operate the touchscreen with heavy winter gloves on - ?

No problem with the touch screen and winter gloves - it's brilliant. The viability is another issue, I normally have the backlight on even in daylight. The x50 series are meant to be a bit better than the x00 series and also have additional features. I think the x00 series are being phased out. I have a 450. One thing the text is very small - I have excellent eyesight and struggle to read it sometimes. It is also an excellent car sat nav.

The battery lasted on Sheila's 300 - about 14 hours with the light on all the time. 2900 rechargeable.

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2010, 01:18:39 am »
I've used a Map60 CSx for several years now and I'm pretty pleased with it, on the whole. FF refers to the aerial/horizontal aspect but I can honestly say I've never had any issues with satellite reception when using it flat on the 'bars. The size may be an issue for some people and it's true that the Etrex shape and bike bracket is neater than the Garmin mount for the Map60. In fact the Map60 bike mount is a bit of a weak point for the model; my impression is that it's rather an afterthought. I've made other arrangements in this regard. The weight isn't important; less than two ounces difference between Extrex and Map60 if I recall.

One of the winning points for me with the Map60 is that the buttons are all on the lower front/top of the unit and are easily operated with full finger winter gloves or even mittens. This means I can mount lights and other junk up close tight beside the GPS without having to worry about being able to get to the buttons. Of course this may not be important for you. I also find the slightly larger screen helpful, because I like to run with two data fields showing on the top of the map, but that's a personal preference. Both the Map60 and the Extrex  are very "customisable" so you can tailor which screens to show to suit youself. FF is the guru in this (and many other Garmin) aspects.

I find the battery life using Energiser Lithiums pretty good - the current pair were put in something lilke 400km ago and are still showing "full charge".

Screen visibility in strong light is quite an issue with these things. The older style Garmins like the Map60 and Extrex are pretty good because the maps are simple but the units which display OS maps less so - again see FF's postings elsewhere.

With regard to the Memory Map Adventurer - I don't have any experience with this but I did look at it when it was first displayed at the Bike Show last year. I didn't like the built in battery with too short a life for Audaxing. I have a Satmap Active 10, which runs on AA cells and which also displays rolling OS maps of various scales, which I think is probably superior to the MMap Adventurer, but it is more expensive.
Cheers PloddinPedro you tipped the balance so I have opted for the map60Csx  :thumbsup:
"Don't stop pedalling"