Author Topic: Can't wait for Friday  (Read 2216 times)

steveB

Can't wait for Friday
« on: 26 May, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »
When I'm off to Normandy for a gentle eight days tour.  Not more than 50 miles per day and stopping off wherever we feel like it, no agenda, no rush and no pressure.

Sort of an all C's tour - Camembert, Calvados, cider and cycling.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Can't wait for Friday
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2008, 01:17:37 pm »
When I'm off to Normandy for a gentle eight days tour.  Not more than 50 miles per day and stopping off wherever we feel like it, no agenda, no rush and no pressure.

Sounds entirely excellent

And hopefully avoiding the fifth C - crevaison
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:30:50 pm »
Nor can I - its bath night (with Cava)  ;D
Where have all the hedges gone ?

Air Dancer

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:18:22 pm »
Nice!

The best type of touring holiday is one that you make up as you go along.

« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2008, 05:18:40 pm »

Sounds like a great trip, Steve--I'd love to try that someday.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2008, 07:07:15 pm »

Sounds entirely excellent

Well, there you go.

I would have thought the 5th C was crabs.

Have a good one.

Where are you crossing to?

H

steveB

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2008, 04:49:35 pm »
It was a pretty good trip, it wouldn't be enough cycling for most of you, but for anyone wanting a gentle tour on an easy terrain this would be ideal.

Portsmouth to Oustreham, a return ticket with cabin was only £105 each, unfortunately the parking in Portsmouth was £80  :-\

There's a 15km cycle track which follows the canal and goes right into the centre of Caen which was great for picking up the ferry for the trip home - even the worst map readers in the world (me and my mate) couldn't get lost on it.

Goodness me! France is expensive.  Accommodation for two sharing a room varied between 40 Euros (each) for B&B in chambres d'hotes and up to 100 Euros (each) for 2-3 star hotels, Best Western even charged 3 Euros per night for parking bikes in a open car park.  Beer varies between 3 Euros to a staggering 6 Euros for a 25cl glass.

The pleasure of cycling through quiet, rural lanes and roads outweighed the cost.  The French certainly know how to treat cyclists, I don't know whether it's because cycling is a national sport, but there is almost a pride in how much space a driver can leave a cyclist, the Brits over there seem to have got the message too.  Strangely, the Dutch were the worst offenders when it came to impatient overtaking.

Not one crevaison, neither did I catch crabs (which is always a relief).

We were out of countenance (the 5th c) on one occasion - this is almost too embarrassing to tell - somehow we found our way on the periphique,  it was only briefly, probably 5 minutes at the most, but I'm in a cold sweat everytime I think about it.