Poll

Should I lick my wound?

Yes! Awesome natural healing ftw!
15 (78.9%)
No! You'll infect it! Are you drunk?
2 (10.5%)
I just barfed. What was the question again?
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Lick your wounds?  (Read 2764 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Lick your wounds?
« on: 23 May, 2010, 08:26:52 pm »
Okay, a bit of backstory: two weeks ago I fell and managed to gnarl up some kneeskin all the way through.  It's slowly healing, but yesterday's beach fun messed up the scab so I had to soak it off, leaving me with a healthy, dry, raw, meaty wound in mid-heal.

I'm also drunk.  And I have the internet.

So: I'm very bored with this wound.  If I loved sitting around and hiking in shorts, I could just wait, but I bike, run and swim and have already missed one triathlon so far.  Speedy healing is good. 

A quick consultation with Doctor Google declares human saliva to be full of histatin, a wonder healy-compound.  I like the sound of that. 

Histatin: Why 'Licking Your Wounds' Actually Works

So, do I lick the wound?  Should we, in the PAW?  How much beer would it take to get over the squick factor (it took plenty to get over the squick of cleaning off the scab - they violated my collision hull!)?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Zoidburg

Re: Lick your wounds?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2010, 08:29:19 pm »
Pour some whisky or vodka on it.

Report back to me when you have done so.

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:06:31 pm »
Pour some whisky or vodka on it.

Pour Sambuca on it and light it to cauterise the wound  :demon:

and report back.  Pref. with Youtube video.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »
You're not foolin' me.  I know that's stupid and painful already. :smug:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:16:29 pm »
Get the cat to lick it for you.  What could possibly go wrong?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:19:06 pm »
That's so totally not the same that the only sameness is in the Scrabble score!

Look! SCIENCE!

A recent study published online by FASEB showed that licking a wound can indeed speed up wound healing:

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Wounds in the oral cavity heal much faster than skin lesions. Among other factors, saliva is generally assumed to be of relevance to this feature. Rodent saliva contains large amounts of growth factors such as epidermal growth factor (EGF) and nerve growth factor (NGF).

In humans, however, the identity of the involved compounds has remained elusive, especially since EGF and NGF concentrations are 100,000 times lower than those in rodent saliva.

Using an in vitro model for wound closure, we examined the properties of human saliva and the fractions that were obtained from saliva by high-performance liquid chromotography (HPLC) separation.

* We identified histatin 1 (Hst1) and histatin 2 (Hst2) as major wound-closing factors in human saliva.
    * In contrast, the D-enantiomer of Hst2 did not induce wound closure, indicating stereospecific activation. Furthermore, histatins were actively internalized by epithelial cells and specifically used the extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 (ERK1/2) pathway, thereby enhancing epithelial migration.

This study demonstrates that members of the histatin family, which up to now were implicated in the antifungal weaponry of saliva, exert a novel function that likely is relevant for oral wound healing.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2010, 10:47:59 pm »
I am woodwork/makey-stuff fiend and sharp implement fetishist.  I almost always stick damaged digits in my mouth and use saliva to start the cleaning, unless of course it's a deep-puncture chisel wound which requires stuffing the wibbly bits back in and immediate compression to stop the claret leakage  ( ::-) ).  For wounds which involve that certain stinging feeling (cutting onions) the relief is quick, the wounds seem to clean quickly and have no problems healing.  Obviously soil bacteria doesn't count - gardening scrapes get cleaned thoroughly first, usually with a nail brush, and I like my wounds to bleed freely if they're raggy little scrapes or cat scratches.  I rarely use dressings unless either the wound demands it (large, deep) or I'm handling food.  Needle/awl punctures from leather sewing just get the suck-it-and-see treatment.  Scars - I haz them.

Last time I had a deep knee wound I was 13, and a piece of window punctured the joint and went under the kneecap, nicking the tendon and generally making a right mess.  For that I received an A&E special prize of discovering how resistant I am to local anaesthetics when they cleaned the joint for me.  The scar is remarkably small for something that took 7 stitches to fix, but I was off my feet for a week, and 'light movement, minimal stairs' for another.  No deep knee bends, and no sports for a few weeks.  Nowadays they'd have sent me skiing after the first week, just to prove the point.   ;D 
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2010, 10:52:10 pm »
P*OTD:
Oral Wound Healing

[ *phrase, obviously. ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2010, 10:55:58 pm »
I wussed out and rubbed it with a licky finger instead.  That was meaty enough, but I wasn't going to lap up the beads of claret-ish.  Not even this drunk.

Clearly I need more drunk.

It was ever so soothing and cooling, I'll tell thee that.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2010, 09:08:50 am »
I am of the belief that saliva contains an enzyme that speeds blood clotting.  I could be wrong.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2010, 12:46:13 pm »
Try putting honey on it.

Then you can always lick it off later.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:46:22 pm »
Or get someone else to lick it?
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 24 May, 2010, 07:52:20 pm »
Honey - it's not that open and wet. 

Someone else - EW!

Anyway it was all dry itchy and my Jackass gene was expressing, so I've done gone and started licking it. It's noticeably improving scab flexibility and seems to be speeding up edge movement.

Plus it feels really transgressive and naughty. O:-)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2010, 12:40:08 pm »
Today it tastes of sweet roast lamb.  Really good stuff, the edgey bit, where the juices have, er, seeped and caramelized.

Must. Stop. Licking. In. Meetings.

LindaG

« Reply #14 on: 26 May, 2010, 12:40:36 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #15 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:24:08 pm »
Dog saliva has great anti-bacterial properties.  Our dog insists on licking any family wounds - regards it as part of his job. He is particularly good at Athletes foot as well.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #16 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:26:30 pm »
Today it tastes of sweet roast lamb.  Really good stuff, the edgey bit, where the juices have, er, seeped and caramelized.

Mint sauce to speed the healing process.... ;D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Zoidburg

« Reply #17 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:29:20 pm »
Today it tastes of sweet roast lamb.  Really good stuff, the edgey bit, where the juices have, er, seeped and caramelized.

It's the zombie apocalypse - ground zero, andy is the rage infected chimpanzee, the plague monkey.

Prepare to taste the spang.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #18 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:56:17 pm »
Spang oi up, me luvver!

Zoidburg

« Reply #19 on: 26 May, 2010, 07:57:18 pm »
I can only find a cow bell so you will have to settle for a thwocking.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #20 on: 26 May, 2010, 08:05:35 pm »
Wounds in the oral cavity heal much faster than skin lesions. Among other factors, saliva is generally assumed to be of relevance to this feature. Rodent saliva contains large amounts of growth factors such as epidermal growth factor (EGF) and nerve growth factor (NGF).

In humans, however, the identity of the involved compounds has remained elusive, especially since EGF and NGF concentrations are 100,000 times lower than those in rodent saliva.

So what you really need is a friendly hamster. I'm sure Hammy would have obliged. Snowy on the other hand, would have ripped your throat out as soon as look at you. Choose carefully...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #21 on: 27 May, 2010, 01:05:40 pm »
And don't mistake Hammy for Nelson the Ferret!  :o

Dog saliva has great anti-bacterial properties.  Our dog insists on licking any family wounds - regards it as part of his job. He is particularly good at Athletes foot as well.

Doesn't that tickle like buggery?

This is getting to be a habit.  It's going to get programmed in as yet another tic.   8)

goatpebble

« Reply #22 on: 28 May, 2010, 10:11:54 pm »
And don't mistake Hammy for Nelson the Ferret!  :o

Doesn't that tickle like buggery?

This is getting to be a habit.  It's going to get programmed in as yet another tic.   8)

I thought you said your cat was already attending to your wounds?

Or have I missed something.