Author Topic: Crank length on Hase Pino  (Read 2430 times)

Crank length on Hase Pino
« on: 26 May, 2010, 09:59:46 pm »
We went ahead and purchased a brand spanking new yellow Hase Pino. It's a lovely bast, bar a little annoyance regarding available crank length. The only choice for the captain's cranks are 170mm if you want the option to permit the stoker to freewheel while the captain (aka the donkey) does the hard work. On the front the stock length is 175mm. In the ~200km of riding so far, mostly with me as the captain but also on stoker duty too, it seems that the stoker cadence needed to keep up with the captain is uncomfortably high. This is the case even for me as stoker, who preferred a higher cadence than my other half on our previous (regular) tandem.

I figured that part of this cadence discomfort comes from having 175mm cranks on the front but also wonder whether the 'bent position on the front also contributes. Neither of us had ridden on a 'bent before so perhaps we just need to get used to it.

I'm wondering whether we ought to "balance up" the crank length/cadence. Unfortunately the options are not abundant. The rear crankset can't be changed. The only other stock length for the front (black Truvativ something) is 155mm. Does such a differential seem extreme? I heard a suggestion to have different sized chain wheels for the sync chain, I guess this means a few more teeth on the front. Does that seem a bit weird?

The Pino looks so nice with its yellow paint job and the black crank set and chain guard. I really don't want to spoil the look with something aluminium. Any suggestions that won't break the bank too much further?

Re: Crank length on Hase Pino
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2010, 08:02:14 am »
Diff. sized chain wheels doesnt seem too weird on a Hase Pino - Does it not have independant freewheeling ?  So being in sync doesnt matter so much.  Going to 155mm on the front does seem a large jump. I've got 155 on the back of the tandem as the kids ride it: when my wife does they feel small to her, and once the kids grow up I'll look at 165 or maybe 160's.  SJS do a decent range of own-brand cranksets, but not in black: TA Vega cranksets  are available in black in 165/160 but not checp.

« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2010, 08:26:17 am »
I saw the SJS front tandem cranks, they seem a reasonable price. I'm just too wedded to the idea of keeping the bike's good looks to break away from black.

Indeed it has independent freewheeling and as a result not being in sync, is possible. You can feel it in the frame a bit, not uncomfortably
though.

I wonder how it would feel to have a different sized chain ring, which would lead to not only not being in sync but with a different cadence front and rear?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2010, 01:34:25 pm »
I'm not convinced that a 5mm difference in crank length is going to have that huge an effect on cadence, or perceived cadence.  Mind you I'm having trouble with the sums.

I reckon your idea that it's all down to 'bent legs is nearer the mark.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)