Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 116008 times)

We’ve just started watching Attenborough’s latest. Good grief, the musical score is intrusive.  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Tea tank
The last lot MrsT wanted to watch it was St. David's voice that got my goat.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
In the US versions, they used to replace him with Oprah, which results in an unpleasant bit of mental re-ordering, because really if anyone should be commenting on the bedroom habits of various animals it's him. Several entire species have restraining orders against him, he can't go within 25 metres of a tiger and he's banned from Malawi.

Lovely programmes but I can't watch them any more, every scene with some majestic slice of nature ends with a fateful and now we've nearly killed them all. It's just depressing.
!nataS pihsroW

The last lot MrsT wanted to watch it was St. David's voice that got my goat.

That too.  Far too much anthropormorphising  with the emotional voiceover.

Lovely programmes but I can't watch them any more, every scene with some majestic slice of nature ends with a fateful and now we've nearly killed them all. It's just depressing.

I think this is the first Attenborough we've watched (well, my wife has watched, I was surfing on the iPad throughout) since before Blue Planet. 

T42

• Tea tank

And even when he - sorry, He - doesn't say it you can hear it anyway.

I'm currently working my way though "The Great War",  a 1964 BBC account of WW1.  Of it's time, but surprisingly un jingoistic & covering more than the Flanders trenches.   Well worth the watching.  It appears to be mostly available on YouTube.    The episode below is about the contribution of women to the war effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1WjRG6ot5Y
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
The other day I was watching an American man on YouTube talking about rifles, specifically modifications to the SMLE rifle by the Australians into a jungle carbine. Don't judge me.

Mods included shortening the barrel, which meant there was no, as he calls it, stacking swivel.

Or as Henry Reed would put it:
"And this is the piling swivel,
Which in your case you have not got"

This made me very happy.

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Tea tank
 :)