Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 408689 times)

T42

• Tea tank
Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #5700 on: August 13, 2019, 08:05:52 am »
Neal Stephenson/Nicole Galland, The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.  Started well, flagging a bit in the middle.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #5701 on: August 13, 2019, 09:40:25 am »
The latest but one Charlie Parker (the Woman in the Woods). More ghostly goings-on and murders aplenty in Maine (bonus murders in Indiana). As good as ever though I expected a bit more of a conclusion, but actually I liked the ending, though I suspect I'll now have to pony up £10.99 for the next instalment rather than wait for it to drop...
!nataS pihsroW

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #5702 on: August 15, 2019, 09:01:38 pm »
Animals by Emma Jane Unsworth

It was on my list, for some reason, hence I got a notification when it was on offer for 99p. Glad I didn’t pay more than that for it, tbh. Not really my kind of thing It’s amusing in places but falls somewhat short of its billing as “Withnail for girls” or whatever it was the blurb said. Makes the mistake of thinking graphic swearing, sex, drinking and drug-taking is intrinsically funny and “edgy”. Some of the writing is seriously clunky, though there’s the occasional original turn of phrase.

There’s a film of it now, apparently. I don’t think I’ll be rushing to the cinema.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5703 on: August 16, 2019, 01:15:16 pm »
The bloke who does the film reviews on the BBC news channel when Mark Commode is off being Important reckoned the film to be worthy of attention but the "Withnail For Girls" thing ought to be enough to put sane people off and instead devote the time to finding the person responsible for the phrase and killing them.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #5704 on: August 16, 2019, 01:30:15 pm »
Animals by Emma Jane Unsworth

It was on my list, for some reason, hence I got a notification when it was on offer for 99p. Glad I didn’t pay more than that for it, tbh. Not really my kind of thing It’s amusing in places but falls somewhat short of its billing as “Withnail for girls” or whatever it was the blurb said. Makes the mistake of thinking graphic swearing, sex, drinking and drug-taking is intrinsically funny and “edgy”. Some of the writing is seriously clunky, though there’s the occasional original turn of phrase.

There’s a film of it now, apparently. I don’t think I’ll be rushing to the cinema.

You got further than I with my 99p punt. It wasn't awful but indeed, clunky in places (really, don't they have editors any more?). Felt a bit like it was written to spec for a demographic that isn't me. I was going to go back and finish it but suspect I won't.

The characters weren't especially interesting or likeable and evidently I'm not easily shocked by bad language, sex or drugs. Basically, a female-targetted version of the tired 'boys behaving badly' format.

I have seen the movie posters. And no, I can't say it'll drag me in either.
!nataS pihsroW

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #5705 on: August 16, 2019, 01:46:18 pm »
the "Withnail For Girls" thing ought to be enough to put sane people off and instead devote the time to finding the person responsible for the phrase and killing them.

Aside from being a lazy hack trope, it's setting the bar very high for yourself, so disappointment is pretty much inevitable.