Author Topic: What books are we reading at the moment ?  (Read 481724 times)

Re: What books are we reading at the moment ?
« Reply #6000 on: June 20, 2020, 01:11:16 pm »
(To be fair I'm not sure that I will hack "Stand on Zanzibar")
It's one of my favourites!

A classic , along with "The Sheep Look Up".    Didn't like "The Jagged Orbit" very much. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #6001 on: June 20, 2020, 01:41:34 pm »
T42 - Starship Troopers is on my list.  I thought the film was enjoyable because Dougie Howser.

Never heard of him; and I'm back to Maigret.  ST is just too... jerky.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

fd3

« Reply #6002 on: June 20, 2020, 02:39:33 pm »
You should (not) try "Stand on Zanzibar"
[/I could be wrong]

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #6003 on: June 20, 2020, 03:16:36 pm »
I read it when it came out. Great book.  Of course, some tech now seems a bit quaint but he got a lot of the mores right, although we haven't quite reached the point where advertising hoardings deliver their messages "from the yawning crotch of a receptive shiggy".

Wonderful how some phrases stick in the mind.

« Reply #6004 on: June 21, 2020, 02:55:09 am »
I found starship trooper ver 'boys own' but as I wasn’t much beyond boyhood when I read it I quite enjoyed it. I seem to remember there were 6 books in that series.

I enjoyed Three Body Problem but haven’t read any of the sequels.
Sorting my life out, one shed at a time.

ian

• feat. Undead Jess & Finestre, Queen of Hell
« Reply #6005 on: June 22, 2020, 10:25:27 am »
I think I mentioned that I read Starship Troopers a while back. It was quite possibly the most awful thing I've read (and I've read some awful stuff). The movie seems to take its fascistic militarism with tongue planted firmly in cheek. The book, erm, doesn't.

But the worst crime was that it was intensely dull. Nothing much happened to people who weren't very interesting.
Support the Great Surrey Bear Census 2020

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #6006 on: June 22, 2020, 11:18:48 am »
According to Wiki, Heinlein wrote it as a reaction to the US stopping nuclear testing.  I fell off the end of the eBook free sample and went back to Maigret.

« Reply #6007 on: June 22, 2020, 12:46:33 pm »
A Delicate Storm, the second Cardinal from Giles Blunt. It’s quite nice having the voices from the TV series in my head, they’re a good fit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6008 on: June 22, 2020, 03:19:58 pm »
My reading during the pandemic - it's surprising how much you can get through when you're not spending 2-3 hours cycle commuting every weekday -:
Camus - The Plague. Not as many laughs as I'd remembered/hoped for.
Defoe - Diary of a Plague Year - Lasted to page 10 before deciding I needed a change of subject and gave in.
Mantel - The Mirror and the Light - a bit of a plod at times but glad to have finished the trilogy, and a comfort at times to go to bed and immerse myself in a well-realized world which was so much different from today's. And yet...
Sarah Gran - the Claire DeWitt trilogy. Gritty, compromised, woman PI. Funny and surprising. There's an overarching story for the 3, which stretches credulity, but knits them all together. Not that they can't be read individually. I preferred the New Orleans post-Katrina one - the first - to the LA ones, but all good.
David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest. Hard work. Struggled on for a while before deciding life's too short.
Ruth Rendell - The Bridesmaid. More like a Barbara Vine than a Ruth Rendell. A slow-burning psychological thriller. Like a long Simenon without the detective. A bit disturbing but easy to read.
Trollope - The Warden. Re-read. Don't know why. Found it tedious this time round. I now have second thoughts about embarking on Barchester Towers, which is on the pile.
Agatha Christie - The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Say no more.
2 of the 3 Mick Herron Slow Horses spy thrillers. As (checking through this thread...) also enjoyed by rafletcher. Saving the third until I get a thirst for thrillers again (currently slaked).
Justin Torres - We The Animals. Recommended by a stranger on the internet and took a punt on it because it was 99p on Kindle - this turned out to be good value for money. Series of vignettes from the viewpoint of the youngest of three boys, through his adolescence, in a struggling mixed Puerto Rican/white family. Just found out that a film was made of it in 2018.
McEwan - The Cement Garden. Thought I'd go back to my reading list from 35 years ago, and am considering Banks' The Wasp Factory (or should I consider Consider Phlebas?) again for similar nostalgic reasons.

Am going to go for Philip Roth next. Not had the pleasure before. Any recommendations? I thought, maybe, Goodbye Columbus because it's short (in case I don't like it) and the first of a series (in case I do). But it's also his first so may not be as good as later ones.

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #6009 on: June 22, 2020, 04:16:59 pm »
David Foster Wallace - Infinite Jest. Hard work. Struggled on for a while before deciding life's too short.

Especially given the circumstances.  I gave up on that one too, but not before tendinitis set in from holding it.