Author Topic: The Archers  (Read 71640 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: The Archers
« Reply #175 on: 12 September, 2016, 10:46:21 am »
I thought the same. I don't think a second listen will help.

It's like Sean O'Connor was trying to be Sidney Lumet.

(I once did jury service with a woman who represented Ray Galton & Alan Simpson.  Their take on 12 Angry Men is much better)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #176 on: 12 September, 2016, 03:28:38 pm »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #177 on: 12 September, 2016, 05:04:07 pm »
Have to say I thought the jury discussion - especially at the start - was a bit disjointed . . . and other than as an ego trip for the producer I can't see what having Nigel Havers, Catherine Tate, Eileen Atkins etc added to the pudding??

Rob

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #178 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:17:33 pm »
Watch out Henry...bad things are going to happen. It's not over yet. Nor likely to be for ages as it will be very hard to revert to old Archers after this.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

rr

« Reply #179 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:31:59 pm »
Watch out Henry...bad things are going to happen. It's not over yet. Nor likely to be for ages as it will be very hard to revert to old Archers after this.

I suspect bad things have already happened, hence the return to bed wetting. Helen seemed like she'd been drugged a couple of times.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #180 on: 14 September, 2016, 06:58:52 pm »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Ah, that's OK then.  I listened to the hour long episode on iPlayer which kept stopping.  When they suddenly jumped to the jury returning their verdict I thought I'd missed a bit and was going to listen again to check.

The trial itself was just brilliant, the acting and story line were both superb.  I didn't think the jury room episode was as good.  Are jury deliberations really like that?  I suppose they could be if you got the right mix of characters. 

« Reply #181 on: 14 September, 2016, 08:48:59 pm »
I heard somewhere in all the Archer related stuff that the editor (producer, writer ??) had done jury service a couple of times and used that experience to inform the hour long episode.

I'm still waiting to be called for jury service. Is there a point where age excuses you ?
Rust never sleeps

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #182 on: 14 September, 2016, 08:53:41 pm »
I heard somewhere in all the Archer related stuff that the editor (producer, writer ??) had done jury service a couple of times and used that experience to inform the hour long episode.

I'm still waiting to be called for jury service. Is there a point where age excuses you ?

Yep it's 70 (which meant that Eileen Atkins at 82 wouldn't have been able to serve!)

. . . I was called once in about 1974 but was genuinely away on holiday so didn't have to do it  - no word since then and I escape the call-up next year.

Rob

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #183 on: 14 September, 2016, 11:42:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Ah, that's OK then.  I listened to the hour long episode on iPlayer which kept stopping.  When they suddenly jumped to the jury returning their verdict I thought I'd missed a bit and was going to listen again to check.

The trial itself was just brilliant, the acting and story line were both superb.  I didn't think the jury room episode was as good.  Are jury deliberations really like that?  I suppose they could be if you got the right mix of characters.

When i did it, we didn't use our own life experiences to help determine the guilt or innocence of the accused.  We also didn't all talk/shout across each other.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #184 on: 15 September, 2016, 09:08:08 am »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Thanks. I picked that up better on my second listen. Tate's character also finally revealed that she was in an abusive relationship but that she felt she had to put up with it.
Pen Pusher

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #185 on: 12 October, 2016, 01:55:11 pm »
I have a confession to make: since allowing the Helen storyline to lure me back in, I've started listening to the Archers regularly again.

The writing seems to have improved since last time I was a regular listener. I understand this may be because they have a new editor. If so, well done them. There are still some irritations but also some very good stuff - in particular, there was an exchange between Jennifer and Susan in the shop the other day that made me smile.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #186 on: 14 January, 2017, 06:09:52 pm »
Stefan's not dead!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #187 on: 16 January, 2017, 12:35:44 pm »
Ah Stefan. I was expecting him to turn up before/during the trial. It's difficult to imagine what could be gained 'just' by Rob's reputation being brought down any lower by any revelations from Stefan, so what are the chances of Rob trying to do away with him instead?

« Reply #188 on: 16 January, 2017, 04:38:59 pm »
Ah Stefan. I was expecting him to turn up before/during the trial. It's difficult to imagine what could be gained 'just' by Rob's reputation being brought down any lower by any revelations from Stefan, so what are the chances of Rob trying to do away with him instead?
I expect Evil Rob to get nasty (even if not lethal) with Stefan and thence get his collar felt by the local plod. At which point Charlie Thomas wades in.....

Sent from my brain to my iPad using my fingers and Tapatalk
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #189 on: 16 January, 2017, 04:41:18 pm »
I've lost touch recently. Who is Stefan?

« Reply #190 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:46:35 pm »
 Stefan was an East European worker on the mega-farm, he witnessed Evil-Rob blocking the storm drain which exacerbated the effects of the flood. Evil-Rob paid him to disappear back home before he could shop Rob. (?ISTR that Stefan was gay and had a dalliance with ?Adam?)
Charlie Thomas was manager of the mega-dairy and found out that Evil-Rob was cooking the books - Rob got him out.
Someone will be along in a moment to correct my errors/ fill in the gaps.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #191 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:48:05 pm »
Gosh, it seems I've missed alot!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #192 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:32:49 pm »

Or not, as the case may be!

I find reading the Archers summary on YACF saves a lot of time and effort.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #193 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:37:14 pm »

Or not, as the case may be!

I find reading the Archers summary on YACF saves a lot of time and effort.

::-)  ;D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #194 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:58:09 pm »
Stefan was an East European worker on the mega-farm, he witnessed Evil-Rob blocking the storm drain which exacerbated the effects of the flood. Evil-Rob paid him to disappear back home before he could shop Rob. (?ISTR that Stefan was gay and had a dalliance with ?Adam?)
Charlie Thomas was manager of the mega-dairy and found out that Evil-Rob was cooking the books - Rob got him out.
Someone will be along in a moment to correct my errors/ fill in the gaps.

Whilst Adam shags more people than Caroline BoneSterling, I think his Eastern European interest was in the shape of one of the fruit pickers rather than Stefan

(Sad to see that Caroline's close friend, Sara Coward, has terminal cancer.)

« Reply #195 on: 16 January, 2017, 07:22:51 pm »
Pawel, was it not?

I must admit, I had forgotten about Stefan. And I listened to the Omnibus and missed the reference. I need to listen betterer.

« Reply #196 on: 16 January, 2017, 10:11:24 pm »
Pawel, was it not?

Quite right you are

« Reply #197 on: 17 January, 2017, 07:21:24 am »
My temporary amnesia was due having not listened to the final 15mins of the Omnibus out of error.

Duly rectified. Stefan eh.  :o

« Reply #198 on: 18 January, 2017, 12:26:11 am »
My prediction is that evil Rob will do away with himself and the two children.
Rust never sleeps

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #199 on: 18 January, 2017, 07:21:09 am »
My prediction is that evil Rob will do away with himself and the two children.
Hopefully not. Don't forget Helen's previous partner, Greg, also killed himself.