Author Topic: Looking at other cyclists' feet.  (Read 2360 times)

Pete

Looking at other cyclists' feet.
« on: 30 May, 2008, 08:39:03 am »
Do you judge a cyclist/POB by how he/she puts their feet on pedals?  Is this a form of snobbery?

Today I followed another cyclist for a while.  Bike with flat pedals, rider wearing ordinary shoes.  Could have called him "POB" but maybe that's a bit demeaning.  Cycling perfectly competently, good road positioning and adhering to Cyclecraft, but pedalling on the arches of the feet, not the ball.

I see this often: mainly with children, less often with adults.

Now this was the first thing I remember having drummed into me as a child: put the ball of the foot on the pedal, not the arch.  I think my father took me aside, the very first day I learned to cycle, and gave me a stern lesson!  I don't use cleats/SPDs, but I do use toeclips, so nowadays it comes natural to me anyway (as I'm sure it does to most cyclists).

Does this matter, for the casual cyclist?  I'm talking about those who use flat pedals of course.

Re: Looking at other cyclists' feet.
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2008, 08:41:49 am »
It should matter, mechanically at least. Now I am not sure I do look into this much in other cyclists I meet on the road though.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2008, 08:43:54 am »
No it doesn't matter, not to me anyway. It's like saying does it matter if people ride out of the saddle or does it matter if they use a gear that is too large - all less efficient than not doing it. IMO they can do whatever they want, I'll do things my way and let them get on with it.

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2008, 08:46:11 am »
According to some, pedalling with your instep is better: Cleat Position

Pete

« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2008, 08:47:18 am »
Perhaps it's a bit of snoopiness showing here!  Rather like peeking into someone else's supermarket trolley, and passing judgement on how healthy or unhealthy  a lifestyle they lead!  :-[

iakobski

« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2008, 08:57:29 am »
Is it more efficient, and if so why? Or is it just because it's always been done like that? Ankling used to be taught years ago as a way of adding calf muscle strength to the stroke, but I thought that had been discredited.

Bike with flat pedals, rider wearing ordinary shoes.
When I'm wearing city shoes (leather soles) and riding the Brompton, I always start off pushing the instep forward onto the pedal until the heel hits it. If not, there's a risk of my foot sliding off with embarrassing/painful consequences. In the wet that risk is 99%. When I'm under way/in the saddle I return to the normal ball-of-foot position, because that feels more natural.

beakyboy

« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:00:19 am »
Wouldn't bother me, each to their own. At least he was cycling and not driving!

« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:54:06 am »
I'm full of admiration for other cyclists' feats.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:03:07 am »
There's definitely a difference between deliberate feet placement of any style, and unthinking plopping of paws.  I do rather use that as a cyclist / POB defining factor, yes.  I'm such a snob.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #9 on: 30 May, 2008, 03:44:40 pm »
There is a stunning goth girl around here that cycles on an old dutch bike with a huge dress with the pedel wedged in her 4" heels. She's always smiling though
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #10 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:44:35 pm »
I too find myself looking at feet sometimes, usually as they tear past me and i think
 "How the F*** did he do that with an old mountain bike and adidas sambas....?"

Fortunately i then drop a gear, remember my bib shorts, cleats and gore jersey
make me a real cyclist and shoot back past them.....aye, right !!
..Just lift your head, take a deep breath and enjoy....

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #11 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:17:26 pm »
There is a stunning goth girl around here that cycles on an old dutch bike with a huge dress with the pedel wedged in her 4" heels. She's always smiling though

I think I've seen her as far afield as Rosebery Avenue!

Now that we've tracked down the Ealing Fixie Chick, can we go hunting the East London Goth Girl?

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #12 on: 31 May, 2008, 09:37:57 am »

Now that is more what I was hoping for from this thread. Although a pair of Sidi Genius on a slender female cyclist leg would turn me on too!