Author Topic: Mull - routes & things to see?  (Read 2737 times)

Mull - routes & things to see?
« on: 30 May, 2008, 09:32:49 am »
We're going to Mull for a week of easy cycle-camping.  ;D ;D

Any advice on routes/things to do?  We were just going to do the circle of the island including going to Iona and Ulva.

Also, any recommended camping spots?

TIA.

Paul  ;D

Re: Mull - routes & things to see?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2008, 08:27:06 pm »
Mull's great!  You're gonna have a great time when its not raining!

Things to do, well depending on what floats your boat (or turns your peddles), things I can recommend (from about 10 years of going to Mull every year leading field trips and various holidays).

Duart Castle and Torosay Castle (east coast).  Duart is a very impressive fortress castle, whilst Torosay is smaller with a more homely feel and is great for a mooch round.

Loch Buie standing stones are also worth a visit, there are lots of standing stones on Mull, but this is a full circle.

Ardalanish Bay (on the Ross of Mull, turn left just after Bunessan and head towards Uiskin then Ardalanish.  This is about the best white sand beach you are ever likely to come across, and usually almost entirely deserted.

Iona is OK, the Abbey etc are good for a visit, but I always find they are busy with coach tours and after the quiet of Mull, a bit of a culture shock.  I prefer to walk in the other direction and head across to the west coast or the south of Iona, where there are some great bays and an old abandoned white marble quarry.  I can also recommend the boat trips across to Staffa (boats leave from either side of the sound of Iona), and the Treshnish Isles, to look at the rocks (fingals cave), the seabirds, the seals and the dolphins.

Away from the south of the island, the road round from Pennyghael to Salem across the Burg is stunning, and there's a good descent down to the shore at Gribun. If you fancy a stiff walk, you could go up Ben More (the only Monro on Mull), but it does have a habit of being cloudy at the top, so the views, although fab, are not often visible. 

Tobermory is good for a bit of shopping, being home to a distillery and a chocolate factory (let alone a thriving Balamory souvenier industry).  Glen Gorm castle is worth a look at, although I think its a hotel, it is in a great setting.  Dervaig is also in a lovely setting and is home to the Mull little theatre (if they have a show on its worth a visit).  Calgary Bay is also gorgeous, more white sand, but then nearly everywhere is stunning!

I could go on and on..

As for camping, there are some designated sites, but there are loads of places you can camp wild if you don't mind the lack of  facilities.  Just make sure that is permitted in the area and if possible ask permission from the farmer/landowner first. 

There's a good website for the Mull tourist board, and also the ross of mull historical society, google them and they should come up.

Anyway, have fun, I am very, very jealous!

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:17:25 pm »
Mull's great! 

One of my favourite places to ride!

Camping

Almost anywhere, but if you turn left just before Fionnaport and take the road to Fidden there is an almost commercial campsite with almost adequate showers and excellent camping on the grass at the top of the beach. It gets a bit busy with kayakers at times, but still quite a special place. Make sure you take a walk down to the end of the road - when the tide is out the sand dunes are spectacular.

There is another small commercial campsite near Gruline wher you can get a shower.

You can camp for free at the end of Calgary Bay where there are public loos and a cold water tap outside.

Things to do

Climb Walk up Ben More - the only Munro on an Island (OK well there are a few on Skye, but skye isn't an island now it's got a bridge). The easiest route is from Drinishader about 4 miles SW of Knock. Best done on a early clear day as there is usually a heat haze after mid day. The views to the east of all the mountains on the mainland is great, and to the west you can see the Outer Hebrides, Jura and on a good day Ireland.

Take a boat trip to Staffa / Lunga from - Staffa has the famous Fingals Cave. If you're lucky there wont be any american tourists playing Mendelsons overture. It's worth paying the extra to go to Lunga, especially if the Puffins are there (I think they leave in mid August).

If, like us, you have kids with you, do the Ballamory tour in Tobermory, the kids will love it, even if you don't!

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2008, 09:45:59 am »
Another vote for the campsite at Fidden Farm.   There is also a decent one just outside Tobermory, ISTR it's a steep walk back from the pub though!

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2008, 10:00:15 am »
Take the ferry over to Lochaline (have a meal at the Whitehouse) and do a ride round  (up to strontian and then west to kilchoan) you can get the ferry back to tobermory from there

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2008, 06:28:29 pm »
"Iona is OK," surprising, I find it a gorgeous place and very evocative and quite special. It can be busy but it's quite easy to get off the beaten track along the "main drag" and find a nice beach or a quiet spot. Do go there and stay the night if poss. the tourists are all away and back in their buses by 4pm and the island has amazing history.
The island of Staffa is also a nice day out on a boat if you want a break from the saddle, some good geology and landforms and the walk into Fingal's cave is well worth it so long as you have some reasonably sensible footwear without cleats.
The chip-shop/caravan at Tobermory is brill for fish suppers and has won awards.
There is a road up the Corbett (hill between 2500' and 3000') called Dun da Ghaoithe behind Craignure where the ferry comes in up to a TV/comm.s mast which is cycleable with a mountain bike or a tourer with wide tyres which has amazing views over to the mainland. This might be easier than the higher Ben More which really needs walking boots, a map and compass (curiously it's one of the few magnetic hills in the UK where a compass can be unreliable.
Have a great time.
There are a few significant hills on the island and it can be a little (OK, very) midgey at times, so a campsite in a breezy spot on the coast is worth finding.

« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2008, 10:05:16 pm »
Thanks for all the advice folks - can't wait to get there now  ;D ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2008, 10:54:18 pm »
...Dun da Ghaoithe behind Craignure...

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3541.msg57203#msg57203  ;)

For somewhere to eat in Tobermory try CafĂ© Fish  :P