Author Topic: Update: Michelin PR3 vs Conti GP 4 Seasons & GP4000S  (Read 37422 times)

border-rider

Re: Update: Michelin PR3 vs Conti GP 4 Seasons & GP4000S
« Reply #200 on: April 07, 2010, 11:17:36 pm »
Paselas do have flimsy sidewalls.  Their Achilles Heel, as it were.

In practice, I've only ever lost 2 this way in 16 years.

heh, tempting fate

Make that 3

I caught a small stone with the edge of the tyre on a lane this morning - BANG !

These were the folding Panaracers though, and I think they maybe have even thinner walls than the standard ones.

« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2010, 02:42:07 pm »
Just noticed something odd about the GP4000S I have on the front of the Van Nic - a strange fraying all around the circumference of the tyre on both sidewalls, just in the position where you'd find wear from badly adjusted brake blocks (but the adjustment is fine). This comes after months of not riding that bike at all, so that the tyre pressure has been fairly low until I pumped it up over the weekend.

I'd say it's a goner. Bikejournal is down so can't verify, but I think it has done about 1600 miles. 1250 miles. Hardly any actual tread wear at all.

« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2010, 02:59:25 pm »
I've always had the odd thread coming from round the circumference of conti's which I just pull off, never thought of it as a problem - I guess you're describing something else though?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2010, 03:59:11 pm »
I've always had the odd thread coming from round the circumference of conti's which I just pull off, never thought of it as a problem - I guess you're describing something else though?
Same here, but they make me very nervous :(
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2010, 04:57:38 pm »
Me too but more on GP 4 Seasons rather than this GP4000S. Those threads seem to come from the "bead" area and when they come off they are orientated circumferentially. This fraying is different - it's as if the sidewall has just flexed too many times about a fixed edge at the rim leading to breakage of radial threads.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2010, 10:33:47 pm »
I used some Panaracer Pasela folders on the Easter arrow this weekend - they're thinner, lighter and faster than the equivalent non-folder. I was impressed.

So is SJS the only place you can buy them? (Folding version)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2010, 10:45:06 pm »
I used some Panaracer Pasela folders on the Easter arrow this weekend - they're thinner, lighter and faster than the equivalent non-folder. I was impressed.

Perhaps there's yet another new version then, because the folding one I got a couple of years ago was exactly the same as a rigid except for the beads.  There has been more than one version of the tread for the rigid (at least).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:27 am »
I've given up on GP4 Seasons 28mm on my best bike, too many punctures

See blog for what I'm using instead

Audaxing Blog
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2010, 03:28:47 pm »
I've decided that Pasellas are too flimsy for the rear (two have lasted me about 1000km each before suffering terminal sidewall damage), but fine on the front - and half the cost of a GP4S.

So, my current not-pretty-but-functional arrangement is GP4S on the rear, Pasella (non folding) on the front, with a spare GP4S carried on long rides that will work as a spare in either position.

border-rider

« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2010, 03:31:25 pm »

Perhaps there's yet another new version then, because the folding one I got a couple of years ago was exactly the same as a rigid except for the beads.

There's at least 2 versions of the folder, with wildly different sizings, but similar treads.

Both types I have (I have 3 of each ;)) are much lighter than the rigid version and have very much thinner sidewalls, to the point that I worry about damaging them.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #210 on: May 26, 2010, 06:19:40 pm »
We picked up a folding Parsela from https://www.sdeals.com/
But all this talk is making me think maybe it's not such a good choice for a tandem (even as an emergency spare). The man from Conti specifically told me not to use GP4S on a tandem though (he was probably thinking of something a bit more, um, sturdy than our rig though)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2010, 05:19:31 am »
Front tyre (4 Seasons) still going strong and has outlasted 3 rear tyres - two of which were 4 Seasons. Positive handling in the Alps and never a moment's worry on the descents. Will retire it now as is over a year old and am not going to risk it on the MC 1000.

H

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2010, 10:40:21 am »
Good to know.  Side webbing still intact?

I'm liking the GP4000s I'm running on the road bike with no, 'you know whats', in the last 2500km.

simonp

• Omnomnomnipotent.
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2010, 11:19:34 am »
I replaced my rear GP4S on the Audax bike just before the Border Raid 600, as the anti-puncture layer was starting to show through the tread.

This tyre has done:

- The Dean 300
 - The Elenith 300
 - The Brevet Cymru 400
 - The Bryan Chapman 600
 - The Kernow & South West 600
 - The Rural South 300
 - The Denmead 600
 - The Windmill Ride + to/from 344

plus probably 200km in getting to/from events

So over 2200 miles, worn out completely, and no punctures.

In total I've had 3 punctures this year in almost 6000 miles on these tyres. One flint, one thorn, one deflation on a pothole.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2010, 11:28:04 am »
I recently incurred my first GP4S (folding 25mm) p*nct*r* in Richmond Park, riding on a newly top dressed road. Inspection showed  inner carcase starting to show through on the rear tyre after ~1yr/5000km. I'll replace the tyre, like for like.

Edit: I carried a new tyre in my saddlebag round the 2Counties on Saturday because I CNBA to fit it, figuring I'd wait for my next p*nct*r*. Mother always said 'the laziest people take the most pains'...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2010, 12:45:05 pm »
I have found - to my cost - that ignoring the appearance of the layer beneath the rubber on the 4 Seasons is a mistake.

Side walls a bit tufty but in its defence, there are also at least three 'mends' on the tyre that have held together.

Simon, you really are tempting fate there.....

H