Author Topic: There's Something Wrong With My Brompton...  (Read 13458 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: There's Something Wrong With My Brompton...
« Reply #25 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:33:31 am »
Despite extensive attempts, I still can't get my ESP working, so don't be surprised if anything I write doesn't apply to you specifically.

Many (not all) riders use gear calculators that do not allow for actual wheel sizes, instead relying on nominal wheel sizes.  If so, their resulting gear inch calculations might be significantly different from their actual gear inch calculations.  This isn't a problem when cyclists with the same general wheel size compare gear inches but might be a problem when riders with significantly different wheel sizes try to compare gear inches.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #26 on: 29 July, 2010, 11:36:09 am »
This isn't a problem when cyclists with the same general wheel size compare gear inches but might be a problem when riders with significantly different wheel sizes try to compare gear inches.

Variations between claimed measurement and reality have always been a problem when it comes to men comparing inches...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #27 on: 29 July, 2010, 09:21:29 pm »
These schwalbe seem cheap to me....£37 delivered

Just in case you BWC pimpers need any

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 29 July, 2010, 09:37:49 pm »
These schwalbe seem cheap to me....£37 delivered

Just in case you BWC pimpers need any
They've been deleted for a year or so, although I think they may be marginally faster than Kojaks.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #29 on: 02 August, 2010, 11:36:04 am »
OK, so the wheels are now wearing Kojaks. :thumbsup: But I'm having minor difficulties in other areas! ::-) I removed the non-folding pedal fine, but the folding pedal won't budge. I had a socket wrench on it (applying clockwise force as it's left hand side), and resorted to using a vice to hold the cranks fast. The bolt head was starting to burr and I'm tempted to just fit a new crank now. Which brings me onto the next problem. I was going to use a Campag square-taper crank puller, but it seems that the stopper on the end of the tool is slightly too big to pass through the crank in order to push on the BB axle. Perhaps I just need to use a non Campag square-taper crank puller?  

And something I've noticed - the raw lacquer finish is rubbish. It's flaking off and and I've got rust spots in various locations on the frame. Not too happy about that considering the price of the bike when it was new!

[edit] oh, and there's some graunching in the front hub - going to have to pull the spindle out and grease everything up, I don't think the bearings could be knackered just yet.

« Reply #30 on: 03 August, 2010, 09:19:33 am »
Went to see bobb last night and use his crank removal tool - result. If I can't remove the Brompton folding pedal from the left crank I'll buy a new crank - £19.99 at SJS. And I'm hoping to use the 52T chainset offered by Wobbly John upthread. I also serviced the front hub and it's now rotating more smoothly.

Progress!

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #31 on: 03 August, 2010, 09:25:11 am »
You'd better win after all this effort! :)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #32 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:02:25 am »
It would be interesting to know what the actual size the bolt on the folding pedal is. The only socket I had that remotely fitted it was some really obscure Imperial size....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #33 on: 03 August, 2010, 10:07:19 am »
It's 24mm. Having rounded it off with my attempts to remove the thing, the 15/16" socket is now a better fit!

Brompton Folding Pedal Left QPEDF

« Reply #34 on: 20 September, 2010, 12:42:57 pm »
So it's all a bit last minute, but it's starting to take shape properly now. I just remembered this weekend that I still needed to purchase a left crank arm, and 102 link chain, which is now on order. I had brain-dead moment when I looked at the derailleur control actuator and couldn't remember how it all goes back together, but the Brompton website has a useful diagram, so I should be OK with that. I reckon I can complete it some time this week, with a few days shakedown before the BWC on the 3rd! Phew... ;)

« Reply #35 on: 20 September, 2010, 12:46:11 pm »

You're taking it a bit too seriously, removing the paint to save weight.  :facepalm:

« Reply #36 on: 20 September, 2010, 12:56:56 pm »
 ;D

Also, does then panel think my pentaclip / saddle arrangement is OK? I found this way up allowed me to get the saddle position I was after - nose 5cm behind centre line of BB. But I am now wondering if the rails should really be positioned along the bottom of the clip for safely supporting weight?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 20 September, 2010, 01:02:11 pm »
Brompton designed the Pentaclip to be used either way up.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #38 on: 20 September, 2010, 01:02:54 pm »
Cool. Thanks.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #39 on: 20 September, 2010, 01:34:06 pm »
Chain's still erm, missing . . .

Or have you perfected the 'QUasi non-sUbstantial Metal Free drive' ?

or QUUMF <Snigger>   
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #40 on: 21 September, 2010, 10:32:38 pm »
Very nice looking bit of kit there!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #41 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:14:23 am »
Re: Removing folding pedal:  The (lighter?) one that came with my bike just needs a 10mm allen key.  So I bought a 24mm socket (in advance) needlessly.  Nevermind, one can't have too many tools ;)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●