Author Topic: Bernie's Long Flat One  (Read 3152 times)

Bernie's Long Flat One
« on: 12 July, 2010, 03:05:50 pm »
Just planning a DIY 600 for my SR this year ad trying to decide which one to go for. Can anyone give me a breakdown of the controls for Bernie's long flat one?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Bernie's Long Flat One
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2010, 11:06:27 pm »
I have a routesheet for that somewhere. ISTR it was about four pages of run-on text.
It was my fastest ever 600 BTW by 3 minutes, including a TTT down the A1 to the services at Great Gonerby and back again, and some immortal instructions like "go though hole in fence".  :-X
PM me if you'd like a photocopy.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2010, 05:26:05 pm »
The classic instruction on Bernard's route sheet was after you had followed the multitude of instructions on the routesheet to take you through minor lanes and villages in the pitch black to arrive at Gonerby Services, the next instruction read

" Retrace to Doncaster"
That's why most people dashed back up the A1. ::-)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2010, 06:28:36 pm »
The classic instruction on Bernard's route sheet was after you had followed the multitude of instructions on the routesheet to take you through minor lanes and villages in the pitch black to arrive at Gonerby Services, the next instruction read

" Retrace to Doncaster"
That's why most people dashed back up the A1. ::-)

Indeed, it wes 'Retrace to MENCAP' in my day.

As my first attempt at BLFO was when I was a new AUK, I was very upset to see some experieced riders packing because of the route sheet quality. I had written my own route sheet for this retrace, mostly using a whole stack of 1:50,000 maps. This was useful but many thought it should not have been necessary.

« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2010, 06:44:31 pm »
The worst 600 I have ever ridden. By far. Utterly awful. Grim. Utterly grim.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 13 July, 2010, 07:05:50 pm »
But you actually like the horrible hills in the Southwest ;)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 13 July, 2010, 07:10:43 pm »
My power to weight ratio was such that I doubted I could anything more scenic. I surprised myself by complting a couple of more interesting 600s I was very marginal on these though and took over 39 hours, with no sleep on each.

mikewigley

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:00:36 pm »
Just planning a DIY 600 for my SR this year ad trying to decide which one to go for. Can anyone give me a breakdown of the controls for Bernie's long flat one?

I plan to have a go at this before the summer is over.  I would have ridden with VC167 last year except that they picked my wife's birthday and that seemed like a bad move on my part.

Loop 1:  Doncaster - Selby - Glews Garage at Rawcliffe/Goole - Saunderby (shuts early so possibly Misterton) - East Bridgeford - Caenby Corner - Doncaster 300km)

Loop 2: Doncaster - Great Gonnerby - Doncaster (165km)

Loop 3: Doncaster - York - Ferrybridge - Doncaster (140km)

« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2010, 10:04:58 pm »
A "tour of the power stations", as someone described it to me.  It's very flat around there.

« Reply #9 on: 16 July, 2010, 06:47:14 pm »
Thanks folks, I have the routesheet and can see this being my choice as I should be able to park up the camper and grab a couple of hours at the end of one of the loops.

Hoping to do it at some point in August, just need to see which weekend I can get a pass.

« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2010, 06:10:23 pm »
Looking to do this starting either Friday 20th Aug or Sat 21st Aug. I can get a train into Doncaster for 6.06 to get to the start (might have to see if I'm allowed to start at the train station).

If there's anyone interested in joining me, let me know.

mikewigley

« Reply #11 on: 07 September, 2010, 12:16:40 pm »
Looking to do this starting either Friday 20th Aug or Sat 21st Aug.

I rode this at the weekend, on what I thought would be my last chance of decent weather before the dark nights draw in.  I was certainly surprised by the wind which picked up on Sunday but I still managed to complete my SR for this season.

I parked for free in the Lakeside carpark near the Vue cinema, starting loop one (300km) at 8am with cafe stops at Goole Tesco, the Garden centre at Saundby (Rosie's is shut on Saturday afternoons) and another garden centre at East Bridgeford.  After a petrol station at Caenby Corner, it was back to Doncaster where I managed 3 hours sleep in the back of the car.

Loop 2 is 160km to Great Gonerby and back.  The route runs alongside the A1 in parts, and I was able to make good progress (into an increasingly strong head wind) by using the A1 itself which had very little traffic on it.  I even got served at Markham Moor McDonalds drive-thru!  After a full breakfast at Great Gonerby I had a welcome tail wind to return to Doncaster.  By now the A1 was getting busier so I used the roads alongside.

Loop 3 is a 140km trip up to York, Ferrybridge and back.  The ride into Ferrybridge services uses a rough bridlepath, but I wonder whether, with most traffic now bypassing this stretch of A1, using the A1 itself would be a better option.

This ride works well with no major climbing.  It's as easy a 600 as you'll find.

« Reply #12 on: 07 September, 2010, 02:04:28 pm »
As mentioned in the RRtY log, I failed this one.

I think my mistake was going out at 6am. That meant getting back too early to sleep after the first 300 and then falling apart on the way back from Gonerby. About 3 hrs would probably have sorted me out.
Still pleased to have managed 480km solo.

Still have the brevet card so I may bow to madness and have another crack at it before the end of the year.

RRtY's over but it will need to start again.

« Reply #13 on: 07 September, 2010, 05:27:01 pm »

This ride works well with no major climbing.  It's as easy a 600 as you'll find.

Nope. You haven't convinced me.