Author Topic: You learn something new every day  (Read 1332 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
You learn something new every day
« on: 01 June, 2008, 10:03:22 pm »
The f-i-l has acquired another bike - or rather, intercepted it between its last owner and the landfill site.  The only things wrong with it were a broken crank (!) and a missing pedal, which presumably is still attached to the snapped-off part of the crank somewhere in ATB hell.

Anyway, this uses a BMX/Thompson-type BB with a steel one-piece crank.  I was charged with finding replacement components, and got a fairly nice BB and a bog-standard one-piece crank from the Bay.  Then we found out that the spare pedals in the garage didn't fit...

One-piece BMX cranks use 1/2", not 9/16" pedals.

Luckily, they're easily available, but what an annoyingly small difference.  It's like the 25.4/26.0 handlebar clamp all over again.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: You learn something new every day
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:24:44 am »
Useful to know, thanks.

My partner returned from the Camden Green Fair & BikeFest yesterday, upset that the sliding clip from the bottom of his Altura pannier had dropped off and been lost; replacements are £1.50 from W****e. <<Sigh of relief>>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2008, 05:35:27 pm »
If you'd asked me this when I was 12 years old I could have told you! (followed by a monologue on the superiority of 3-pc Redline cranks - or other obsessive drivel.) Happy days ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2008, 06:21:14 pm »
Interestingly, Harris Cyclery has replacement bits for one-piece cranks, including cranks which will take 9/16" pedals, and pedal thread converters.  Of course postage will probably make using any of these ruinously expensive.
Actually, it is rocket science.