Author Topic: Plan for PBP 2011 qualifying rides  (Read 114268 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: Plan for PBP 2011 qualifying rides
« Reply #525 on: 18 June, 2011, 02:59:53 pm »
Thanks arvid! (and Ian  ;))

I dropped the org a note.
It could be fun. Looking through the route sheet, I can't really tell if it's instructions for a bike ride or one of the more complex sequence dances. And from the GPS file it looks like it's at least half on bike paths, which would be lovely for touring but not sure how a tandem holding evens would go down. (Presumably it's mandatory route, so taking the less wiggly road along side the path is not allowed)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #526 on: 18 June, 2011, 03:19:03 pm »
The canal towpaths we used in Belgium for a major chunk of last May's UAF 300 brevet (from Ostend) are better described as singlelane roads.  There was a tandem on that ride amongst a bunch of a dozen and nobody had any dramas.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #527 on: 18 June, 2011, 07:55:00 pm »
And from the GPS file it looks like it's at least half on bike paths, which would be lovely for touring but not sure how a tandem holding evens would go down. (Presumably it's mandatory route, so taking the less wiggly road along side the path is not allowed)
The organizer rides an unsuspended high racer recumbent, iirc, so it seems likely he chose a route that can be ridden well by bents - which should be okay for tandems, too. 
It would be great to meet you there.  :thumbsup:

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #528 on: 19 June, 2011, 12:50:00 pm »
Excellent, hope to meet you there Jedrik!
Just filled in our inscriptions, will scan & email them from work tomorrow.

Regarding the route, we've been told there's at least one other tandem too, so I'm sure we'll be fine. In the UK the thought of doing a long ride on bike paths strikes a fear due to the constant need to slow down and yield for both cars and pedestrians, or tight corners or frequent junctions, and it's doubly so on tandem as momentum killers are the worst enemy. But I'm sure this is mostly my UK-centric prejudice and we'll have a great time. Really looking forward to the new experience, whatever it brings.
bikeroutetoaster makes it 762m ascent: more than an order of magnitude less than our originally planned 600 qualifier!

« Reply #529 on: 19 June, 2011, 12:55:50 pm »
Then you can start praying for the weather forecast to be correct about the wind becoming less by next weekend. We are having 5-7Bft wind this weekend. Oh, and some rain and hail, but you can wear clothes for that.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #530 on: 20 June, 2011, 11:58:58 pm »
Thanks arvid! (and Ian  ;))

I dropped the org a note.

And the organiser phoned me when I was out on a DIY perm with the news of your note. ;).