Author Topic: Replacement flag for Trailer  (Read 6408 times)

Replacement flag for Trailer
« on: 02 June, 2008, 09:42:44 pm »
Since I'm using my Bob Yak trailer more at the moment, I was wondering about replacing the flag that went awol a couple of moves back.

At night I'm OK, since it's almost as well lit as my bike, but during the day a short bit of rod with some sort of flappyness on the end may be a good idea.

I seem to recall people in the past saying that they used stuff from kite making for this purpose.  Can anyone suggest what's best to use, and where I can easily get it, preferably somewhere in the vicinity of South Ken or Croydon.

I guess it would also be a good idea to secure it, so it doesn't "wander off" when the trailer is parked outside of Sainsburys and similar.  That might require a bit of creative thought!
Actually, it is rocket science.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Replacement flag for Trailer
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2008, 07:38:44 am »
6mm is the size.  It's standard kite-spine.

Solid works a lot better than hollow, which fractures.  Solid carbon is lovely, solid fibreglass is cheap.

Never had one nicked.  I don't think the wildlife realise it's removable.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2008, 08:45:04 am »
...and for the flag, I've been using some of the holographic sticky-back-plastic for covering books. Cut roughly to a diamond shape, peel backing. put pole across shorter axis of diamond, fold and stick sticky-back. cut to final shape.

Lasts fairly well. not quite as flappy as ripstop. Glints in sun & headlights.

Kiteshops will sell you ripstop if you want a fabric one, or cut a bit from a discarded umbrella. If you use a hot tool (soldering iron/heated knife) to cut/melt the flag, then you won't need to hem it.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:09:49 am »
You can not hem it anyway, it just gets a little fluffy round the edges :)

I like using ripstop and just folding the hoist edge over, sealing it down with double-sided sticky tape.  Quick and easy. :thumbsup:
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

CathH

« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2008, 01:24:31 pm »
Try *URL removed.

Yarrr!

[Edit: - linked to totally the wrong company!]

« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2008, 02:29:26 pm »
Anyone got a suggestion for where I can get 6mm fibreglass poles (in London) ?  Looking up Kite on Yell or Google just seems to trigger on lots of companies which have Kite in their name, but have nothing to do with kites. :-\

andygates

• Peroxide Viking

« Reply #7 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:16:17 pm »
Why bother with a flag?  If you like it fine, but I wouldn't expect any safety benefit.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #8 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:30:17 pm »
Why bother with a flag?  If you like it fine, but I wouldn't expect any safety benefit.

I'm always worried a bit by the impatient drivers who wait for you to cross a junction, and then turn across your path, closely behind you.  These are the sort of people who don't see a trailer there, since (i) they don't expect to see it and (ii) it's largely behind me, so their view of it is obscured.

There is also the case in heavy traffic, where if I was in a lane next to a motor vehicle, he simply may not be able to see the trailer, since it's below the level of the window, and this is worse if I pull up after him, so he hasn't had a chance to see me when approaching.  If he pulls across into what he thinks is an empty space, he may take out the trailer, with consequent crashing issues for me.

Of course, a flag won't necessarily make the trailer that much more obvious, but it only has a small cost in terms of additional drag.

« Reply #9 on: 03 June, 2008, 06:17:37 pm »
I have a couple of recumbent as well as a Bob Yak.

I have used the services of a young lady called Helen at www.raindropkites.co.uk

Not expensive, but some colourful designs. Also  custom designs which adds a certain individuality.

Some options here:

http://www.raindropkites.co.uk/banners/bentflags.html THe Trice with Dragon is mine.

« Reply #10 on: 03 June, 2008, 06:23:55 pm »
I have used the services of a young lady called Helen at www.raindropkites.co.uk

Lol, love the six cats !

I shall have to wander up Covent Garden way tomorrow, and see if I can acquire a suitable pole, and maybe some ripstop.

CathH

« Reply #11 on: 03 June, 2008, 06:30:12 pm »
Actually I linked to the wrong company earlier, I got my flags from here at about £2.50 each.  Sorry for the confusion.  They do poles as well.

« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2008, 09:42:02 pm »

Lol, love the six cats !

I shall have to wander up Covent Garden way tomorrow, and see if I can acquire a suitable pole, and maybe some ripstop.

I have Cats on the Cat!

This flag was an adaptation of another cat design by Helen.

« Reply #13 on: 04 June, 2008, 08:14:50 am »
I remain unconvinced by the safety aspect.  Cunobelin, your flag looks the business, very cool!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 04 June, 2008, 08:46:37 am »
IMO they definitely add to the "wtf factor" that many weird vehicles court.  People certainly see flags: during various sporting events I've flown a (hedge-find) England flag and got friendly beeps from WVM.

Whether the "wtf factor" is an improvement on safety is another matter.  ;)

Frankly, I just like the flamboyance of the things.  It's a great opportunity to camp it up.  Which reminds me, I need to redo my big japanese-style one...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 04 June, 2008, 09:04:49 am »

You may be wasting your time, as I am given to understand that the kite shop in Neal Street has gorn to meet the Great Chicken in the Sky.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16 on: 04 June, 2008, 10:31:13 pm »
Hmm, the next most plausible place appears to be Oddballs in Camden, who claim to be a Juggling, Skating, and Kites store, although the website has bugger all Kite stuff on it (although to be fair, it looks like the web stuff is done at their Brighton Store).

If nothing else I run the risk of buying some more juggling thuds, or similar. ;D

« Reply #17 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:21:15 am »
Ultimately, I got a 1m length of 6mm solid fibre glass from B&Q.  Combined with a flag manufactured from my (since unused) High Vis Marshall Vest thing left over from the London Freewheel, suitable selotaped in place, this seemed to do the job.  The 6mm rod is a tight fit on my Bob, once in it doesn't want to come out, which is a bit of a pain when trying to move the Bob around the house.  I may have to pull it out and try lightly sanding the end down to make it a mite smaller.  I don't mind snug, but ludicrously tight isn't helpful !

« Reply #18 on: 16 June, 2008, 08:44:15 am »
Mind those fibres in the skin if you sand the flagpole.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #19 on: 17 June, 2008, 06:08:37 pm »
How do you attach a flag pole to a trike if you don't have a holder?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #20 on: 17 June, 2008, 06:45:07 pm »
Like this:

Get some 6mm alu tube from B&Q.  Cut about 10-15cm and crimp one end.  Fix with twice as many zip-ties as you think you need becuase the whippy flag puts a lot of force on them.  Carry a couple of spares :)

I've got these on the trailer, on the vertical of my Carradice quick-release, and on my regular rack.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #21 on: 17 June, 2008, 07:24:59 pm »
Loverly! I was thinking along those lines but wasn't too confident in the strenth of zip ties.

Now all I need to do is design me flag
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #22 on: 17 June, 2008, 07:40:37 pm »
Both ICE and Catrike do holders...

ICE:

Both fit to carrier / mudguard mounts.

Alternatively a "P" clip mounted to the rack fittings will give an upper and lower mount to solidly fix the flaf pole (usually 6 mm fibre glass kite rod)

« Reply #23 on: 17 June, 2008, 07:44:21 pm »
Which reminds me, I need to redo my big japanese-style one...

Helen does oriental.... Flags and banners

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #24 on: 17 June, 2008, 07:49:59 pm »
Which reminds me, I need to redo my big japanese-style one...

Helen does oriental.... Flags and banners

The flag's fine, the pole was straight-laid hollow carbon and splintered when I hung a blinky from the top as well... :-[