Author Topic: Miche pista/primato fixie c/set  (Read 1415 times)

Miche pista/primato fixie c/set
« on: 07 August, 2010, 03:21:02 pm »
Also posted on The Knowledge

After 4 years of moderate use, mostly winter miles (total 5000 miles or so) the Miche c/set fitted to my Condor Tempo fixie is making a horrible clunking sound at each turn of the cranks.  Cranks are tight and there is no play in the b/b so I assume that the sealed cartridge is needing replacing.

So time to dismantle, clean and replace whatever is causing the graunching noises.

First off - what crank puller?  Do I need a bog standard crank puller for ISO tapered b/b axle, or is it a special Miche variant that I need  NB my 25 year old TA crank puller won't screw into the Miche crank - and I thought all crank pullers for tapered cranks were the same - or is it TA that is non-standard?

Re: Miche pista/primato fixie c/set
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2010, 04:02:49 pm »
A "standard" crank puller should do it. As you suggest, TA is the odd one out.

Re: Miche pista/primato fixie c/set
« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2010, 04:15:13 pm »
As others have said, standard crank puller.

If it's a Miche BB then (from what I remember) there's nothing that can be replaced as it's a sealed unit. Just replace the whole thing for £12 a pop but, before doing that, try sticking it all back together again.

Mine (with Miche Primato cranks) clanks occasionally and I've found that undoing it and doing it all back up is enough to stop the clanking. Never had any problems with anything coming undone and I don't use Loctite, but plenty of others have problems with Miche BBs coming loose (see rants passim by Zipperhead).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."