Author Topic: Leisurely LEJoG  (Read 27224 times)

Re: Leisurely LEJoG
« Reply #150 on: 31 August, 2010, 10:34:22 am »
Jurek took lots on the bits he joined me for....

.... and they'll be posted as soon as I've had a chance to sift through etc.

BTW, Well done!  :thumbsup: :-*

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #151 on: 31 August, 2010, 10:37:18 am »
Day 16

Loch shin to Thurso
90 hard hard miles

After a bit of a slog into a headwind to our hotel on Loch Shin last night, today mother nature decided to really show us what she was made of. And to make sure I wouldn't go back saying a LEJOG is easy.

We left the hotel and both scampered onto our bikes, the scampering on account of the midges and practically flew the 13 miles back to the A836.
We turned onto it and both were hit with a case of tourettes. The wind. Oh my god the wind. It was worse than a meal of cauliflower curry with beans for afters. And to make it even more fun someone decided to chuck sand in our faces. Well that was what it felt like. Jurek called it exfoliating rain.

We were cycling along the flat and had to really push to keep our speed close to 7mph. The cloud shadows moving over our heads were moving very fast. As fast as the cars. I've never cycled into anything so difficult. I honestly thought we would have to give up.

With some wailing and gnashing of teeth we made it to the crask inn and stopped for some food. We were 25 miles in and it was already 11am. This was not good considering we left at 0830. I will confess to asking jurek to call national rail to enquire about options for a train to thurso. No problem there was one from lairg a mere 10-15 miles south of where we were which would be easy considering the north westerly wind. Except the train was at 1945 getting to thurso at close to 10pm. I figured we could actually cycle it quicker so that was our decision made.

Thankfully, the crask inn does good food in its very own quirky style (I urge anyone cycling through that neck of the woods to stop and try it - a more friendly welcome you will not get). So refuelled we set off again. Out route turned ever so slightly so we weren't cycling directly into the wind and it was marginally easier. Surprising to both of us we made it to altnaharra in reasonable time.

We turned eastward along loch naver which was utterly charming and then into the strath naver valley which was more sheltered and simply lovely. I would love to come back and do some more cycling around this area as we kind of had our heads down focused on trying to make some progress.

We had both sort of figured that if we could make it to bettyhill we might just be ok. And eventually, after a good 6 hours of hard slog we made it.
We stopped in the pub and ate. I knew it was another 30 miles to our B&B in thurso but we knew it would be a bit easier than what we had already faced.

And sure enough we didn't have wind directly in our faces anymore. It did come from the side and tried to knock me off my bike on more than one occasion which I have to admit I didn't like very much and after about 15 miles I had had enough. We had done 75 miles of the hardest cycling I'd ever done and I didn't want to do it anymore. I felt like crying. Jurek decided to start taking lots of photos of me. I couldn't have sad photos of me weeping so I pulled a cheesy grin. It helped. He kept snapping over his shoulder. Clever guy. Suddenly we were less than 10 miles to thurso. It all seemed doable.

With about 3 miles to go I felt myself getting all "floaty light". My hands were starting to shake and I couldn't focus properly. I thought my chain had dropped off when it hadn't. I didn't really know what I was doing and I certainly shouldn't have been allowed to operate heavy machinery. But my garmin was counting down the metres and I knew we were no more than 10 mins away. We arrived at the postcode to our B&B which was not actually where it was  :facepalm: We called and found it and arrived, like the mint, after 8.

Thankfully my parents had dropped off our luggage on their way home and had left us food. I could barely talk to antoinette the B&B owner and in the room I immediately sat on the floor in the way and ate EVERYTHING. And then crawled into bed and slept like rip van winkle.

That has got to be one of hardest days of cycling I have ever done.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #152 on: 31 August, 2010, 10:39:07 am »
Day 17 - The Grande Finale

Thurso to JOG to Thurso
40 miles

What can I say. It was all a bit of an anticlimax. JOG was, well, JOG. Once we got there I was worried about making our train so wanted to head back to thurso. Thankfully it was all uneventful. The weather was fantastic and the wind had died down a little. And Jurek has brought a bottle of fizz with him to celebrate so when Leggy called I may have been slightly %)

It is amazing that on the last day everything starts hurting. My knees started to click like the noise my sidis make when I do them up (ratchet like). My legs - ow. Bum - ow. And man am I tired. And so having hung my bike up with the lobsters on the sleeper train, now is time to zzzzzz.

The End.

« Reply #153 on: 31 August, 2010, 10:46:11 am »
Fabulous Pippa, you are a star! Congratulations!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #154 on: 31 August, 2010, 10:51:07 am »
JOG is a bit of a dump, isn't it?

At least the pub was open when we got there - I understand it's closed now - even though it didn't serve any decent beer. The Glenmorangie was OK though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #155 on: 31 August, 2010, 11:05:11 am »
Yay! Fantastic! These reports are dangerous, they make me want to do a LEJOG myself....(reads about the wind again) maybe later :)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #156 on: 31 August, 2010, 11:06:29 am »
It was all a bit of an anticlimax.
[/quote

I too had that feeling as did a couple of other E2Ers I know.
Nevertheless it is a unique achievement.Unless you go for an action replay in reverse :demon:.
I hope you get from it,whatever you hoped for :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #157 on: 31 August, 2010, 11:24:58 am »
And then we pulled off to cycle along loch shin to the overscaig hotel where I believe jaded stayed only very recently. This little off route detour cost us as we slogged into a headwind and had to work for every of those 13 miles.

As we finally pulled up the owner came running out and urged us inside before we got eaten alive by midges - they were everywhere!!!!

Yes, and we got the same greeting from the owner!

I know what you mean about the detour - even though we were driving, it seemed a long way from Lairg.

Here's the view from the dining room to remind you!! Click for very biggy one.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #158 on: 31 August, 2010, 12:39:08 pm »
Well done Pippa on finishing your LEJOG and keeping the forum up to date with your progress over the last couple of weeks; I've really enjoyed your diary which made good reading.   :thumbsup:
(glad you enjoyed the route out of Edinburgh to the Forth Road Bridge).

What can I say. It was all a bit of an anticlimax.

I finished my LEJOG 4 weeks ago and felt exactly the same sense of anticlimax - and it wasn't just JOG!   ???

Datameister

• EU Cake Mountain
« Reply #159 on: 31 August, 2010, 02:06:14 pm »
exactly the same sense of anticlimax - and it wasn't just JOG!   ???

Probably not just JOG. Anticlimax/relief at first, sense of achievement comes later. Thanks Pippa for the ride reports and congratulations.

Must.....try....not....to....mention....doing....LEJOG....again....within....earshot...of....Mrs......D.........

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #160 on: 31 August, 2010, 02:19:20 pm »
Day 17 - The Grande Finale

Thurso to JOG to Thurso
40 miles

What can I say. It was all a bit of an anticlimax. JOG was, well, JOG. Once we got there I was worried about making our train so wanted to head back to thurso. Thankfully it was all uneventful. The weather was fantastic and the wind had died down a little. And Jurek has brought a bottle of fizz with him to celebrate so when Leggy called I may have been slightly %)

It is amazing that on the last day everything starts hurting. My knees started to click like the noise my sidis make when I do them up (ratchet like). My legs - ow. Bum - ow. And man am I tired. And so having hung my bike up with the lobsters on the sleeper train, now is time to zzzzzz.

The End.

I've always thought JOG is a bit of a daft place to finish such an great trip.    Especially after the stunning beauty of Scotland's west coast. But the bland atmosphere of JOG can't take away the fact you have done a BLOODY GOOD JOB and completed an EPIC TOUR!  Well done again.  
Now doing it from Dungeness to Cape Wrath- that wouldn't feel like an anticlimax.  You'd need knobblies though. I'm getting ideas for next year.

mr_brooks

« Reply #161 on: 31 August, 2010, 02:26:51 pm »
Congratulations! JOG may be a bit of a dump, but I have happy memories of celebrating there with a whisky in the hotel bar...!

VERY WELL DONE and thank you for all the updates which were a real pleasure to read.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #162 on: 31 August, 2010, 09:46:58 pm »
Well done, Pippa!  That was harder than you could reasonably have expected in August.
Getting there...

« Reply #163 on: 31 August, 2010, 09:50:37 pm »
Just to add to the congratulations: very well done, Pippa  :) Admirable.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #164 on: 31 August, 2010, 11:06:25 pm »
when Leggy called I may have been slightly %

Did you hear our chorus over the phone?
By heck that penultimate day was hard work. I'd have cried off, I think, so very well done for making it.

« Reply #165 on: 01 September, 2010, 06:44:00 pm »
Well done Pippa- awesome ride and great reports  :thumbsup:

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #166 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:26:16 pm »

By heck that penultimate day was hard work. I'd have cried off, I think, so very well done for making it.

I did. Thank you  :D

Where were you all? Why were you all in East wittering or some such? And was Leggy really wearing white jeans?  :facepalm:

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #167 on: 03 September, 2010, 06:24:33 am »

Where were you all? Why were you all in East wittering or some such? And was Leggy really wearing white jeans?  :facepalm:
Yup, we were. Nice little 75 miles or so- handy ride back for me to Pompey as well.
Alas, the rumours about white jeans are true ;)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #168 on: 03 September, 2010, 10:14:51 am »

It was part of a CC bank holiday ride - see here for TC's photos.  As Mr Legg was on a week's vacation in a flat in East Wittering, he suggested us riding down and he'd cook us lunch!  So 9 of us rolled out of London at 8 am.  They were insistent on using the A286, so I'd constructed a nice little route, and we got there about 1.45 pm.  And he'd cooked a lovely pasta all by himself, plus a rhubarb crumble.  Yum.  I'd got your text after we'd finished eating, hence his phone call. 

Sadly, I don't think anyone got a photo of the white jeans.  At least he wasn't wearing "that" shirt as well.

Hope you're settling back into every day life OK.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #169 on: 06 September, 2010, 01:35:52 pm »
Well done Pippa, a great reoprt, inspiring me to do it again now :thumbsup: See you put your mudguards back on, I can almost hear you, "Paul I don't think like them, they are a pain in the arse!......"; "they often are Pippa, a pain in the arse all in attempt to keep a dry one!  ;D"

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk