Poll

Which Sunday(s) in October would suit you best - vote for up to three.

3rd
2 (12.5%)
10th
3 (18.8%)
17th
2 (12.5%)
24th
7 (43.8%)
31st
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Random Tandem - 24th October 2010: OP UPDATED  (Read 24037 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Random Tandem - 24th October 2010: OP updated
« Reply #100 on: 10 October, 2010, 12:34:42 am »
I know that boab is, obviously, rock hard.... but could she balance a tandem with me on the back?

Cos I is still a F bird on a bike....

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #101 on: 10 October, 2010, 08:15:59 am »
I know that boab is, obviously, rock hard.... but could she balance a tandem with me on the back?

Cos I is still a F bird on a bike....

F= Fasterthanjogler

« Reply #102 on: 10 October, 2010, 05:22:55 pm »
Been out recce'ing another route as the weather is unseasonably warm.

Left Rugby going south to Barby (up the first challenge of the day - Carthorse hill) before a long fast descent to Willoughby.   Nice quiet lanes to Lower Shuckburgh before the climb over Long Hill and descent into Napton.   The top of Long Hill makes a great cake stop at about 12 miles.

After Napton cross country to Long Itchington via Stockton where there is a decent greasy spoon, the Long Itch Diner (18 miles).   We had a nice breakfast roll there today with a mug of tea.   Alternatively, we can press on to Hunningham and the Red Lion where it all looks nice but we've yet to try it (24 miles).   Perhaps we'll put ourselves through the mill next weekend just to report back to you guys.

Leaving Hunningham on the B4453 we soon leave the busier road for the back road past Wappenbury Woods before entering Stretton-on-Dunsmore.   From SoD we climb up to Frankton and divert to Draycote reservoir via Bourton on Dunsmore.   There are one or two decent picnic spots around Draycote for us to have a final cake stop before the ride back to Rugby (33 miles).  

The ride is about 38 miles, a short one.  However, there are a number of hills so it feels a bit longer, especially if you're not from Northamptonshire where you're always either going up or down!   :D  

One downside for me is the run back from Dunchurch to Rugby.   We can use the cycle farcility which is reasonably good but is shared use in places, and, there is a tendency for the local dog walkers and horse riders to ignore the signs and use it too.  

The ride finishes with a slalom test for the most skilled of crews.   Rather than come back into the centre of Rugby we can cut through St. Cross hospital and take the path into the Ken Marriott Centre car park.   We always ride it solo but never on the tandem.   I think that if you're good enough you could ride it but I seriously doubt that the triplet will make it given the restricted turns.  

If we're to do this ride I'd be interested in views on whether to use the Long Itch Diner greasy spoon or the Red Lion pub for a lunch break.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #103 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:46:02 am »
Polar Bear, ver' important question....  What flavour cake would you like?

« Reply #104 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:52:54 am »
Oooooo my.   What a lovely way to start my day.    :-*

I'm a lemon drizzle fan / crispy cake / caramel slice / etc., etc., etc fan so maybe I'm not the best person to ask    ;D

Maybe we should have a poll?

CrinklyLion

« Reply #105 on: 17 October, 2010, 09:56:17 am »
Well, I have a friend who who says that her rocky road recipe is good.  I could learn a new cake  :o

« Reply #106 on: 17 October, 2010, 10:00:12 am »
So long as it doesn't have any seafood in it then I'm always happy to be a cake tester.

I see Green & Blacks are after a taste assistant position.   Maybe I'll just go and apply...   8)

« Reply #107 on: 17 October, 2010, 10:19:12 am »
I'm not a fan of rocky road... but that's not why I'm out.

My parents are coming to decorate my bathroom and it seems a little churlish to leave them to it while I spend Saturday night with my friend, and Sunday Random Tandem-ing.  :(

« Reply #108 on: 17 October, 2010, 11:16:00 am »
That's a shame Boab but understandable.   I'll have to take a roll call.

I've decided that the Stoney Cove route is better on many counts, not least having the far better return into Rugby than the very shitty Dunchurch Road / Ashlawn Road farcility.  The motons get very angry and irrational when a cyclist dares to use the road.   Come the revolution...

Now, I just need to shake this rotten flu-like lurgy which is keeping me off the bike just now.   :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #109 on: 17 October, 2010, 06:59:41 pm »
Rocky road isn't vegetarian generally :(
Getting there...

« Reply #110 on: 19 October, 2010, 08:22:04 pm »
Thought that I'd best update on this one:  

I've been ill with the hacking snots for a few days but recovering so should be fit to ride on Sunday.  

Ride to commence 10:30.  

I've found an even more convenient parking area - on the A426 Newbold Road just south of the magistrates courts and backing onto Caldecott Park.   The parking is on the east side of the A426 and the turn is the southerly of the two from the A426 onto Newbold Road / Park Walk.   Google Maps is a bit confusing because the A426 is labelled Newbold Road and so is the bit of side road running parallel to it.   This in fact runs in front of the police station and the court.   Anyway, take the southern most turn and then turn right into the car park.     I tried a Google Maps link but it kept reverting to the whole of the UK.   :-[

Free parking and plenty of space for vehicles on a Sunday.   Still public enough not to be at risk of break ins but I naturally add that you leave your vehicle at your own risk, just as you would do anywhere.

I've decided on the Stoney Cove ride primarily because the bacon butties are better.  Actually, it's because I prefer the route!

Ginger parkin that my friend makes will be veggie friendly as they are veggies and run a small wholefood shop in Rugby.

Can we have a roll call please?   Anybody needing directions / station collections please PM me.

Thanks guys.   :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #111 on: 19 October, 2010, 08:49:35 pm »
I'm currently nursing an intermittently excruciatingly painful knee after a test ride of my repaired bike and not-so-repaired body yesterday.  It's not quite the same as the usual problems I get with the knee, so it may well be related to my off.  As such, no idea if this is going to be better by the weekend or not (doubly annoying, as I'm planning to do the FNRttC too).   :-\

I'll let you know of developments nearer the time.  My current plan is to keep resting it and try riding on Thursday if the pain stops.

Dunno if seatpost heights are such that CrinklyLion could stoke for Martin109 if I have to pull out?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #112 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:30:06 pm »
Myself & g.d. will be attending

CrinklyLion

« Reply #113 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:42:04 pm »
I'm currently nursing an intermittently excruciatingly painful knee after a test ride of my repaired bike and not-so-repaired body yesterday.  It's not quite the same as the usual problems I get with the knee, so it may well be related to my off.  As such, no idea if this is going to be better by the weekend or not (doubly annoying, as I'm planning to do the FNRttC too).   :-\

I'll let you know of developments nearer the time.  My current plan is to keep resting it and try riding on Thursday if the pain stops.

Dunno if seatpost heights are such that CrinklyLion could stoke for Martin109 if I have to pull out?

:(

That's not good.  Fingers crossed for a miraculous recovery....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #114 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »
I think that's going to be my best option, combined with strong doses of anti-inflammatories and harsh language.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #115 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:47:28 pm »
Try my method - the power of faith (or the lack of it).  I managed for the last couple of weeks by refusing to believe in the existence of asthma. ;D
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #116 on: 19 October, 2010, 09:49:20 pm »
Yeah, I've used that to good effect (cf. Smalldean Lane onna bent) on asthma in the past.  Not sure it works on exploding knees though.

« Reply #117 on: 20 October, 2010, 07:58:41 am »

Stoker saddle height range: 620mm to 820mm (BB spindle to top of saddle).

HTH

Sorry to hear about your knee, Kim. :'(  Take care of it!

« Reply #118 on: 20 October, 2010, 08:09:53 am »
To allay any fears that you might have re your knee Kim, the ride is predominantly the gentle 'flats' of Leicestershire as oppose to the corrugated landscape of Warwickshire and Northamptonshire.   

And, the ride pace will be easy.   As I said up thread, I've been suffering with a head/chest infection so I've not been awheel for nearly two weeks.    :(

CrinklyLion

« Reply #119 on: 20 October, 2010, 12:47:45 pm »
I had no idea what the bb to saddle height on my bike is, and the most accurate measuring implements I can find where I am are a 30cm ruler or a bright yellow plastic metre stick.  The latter leads me to believe that said distance is about 60cm.  But anyway, that's irrelevant because Kim will be better (power of positive thinking or summat).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #120 on: 23 October, 2010, 05:46:17 am »
I ran out of positive thinking somewhere near the mysterious place called Ebbsfleet, unfortunately. I'm currently on a slow train back to London after bailing the FNRttC at Rochester. Knee is doing a repeat of last week so it looks like I'm out of this one :(

« Reply #121 on: 23 October, 2010, 08:47:31 am »
Bad luck, Kim.  Another time.

I'll still be there with a tandem, riding solo if necessary.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #122 on: 23 October, 2010, 08:55:33 am »
Martin - I need to check with Kim that she's still OK for me to crash at hers, and look at maps to figure out the chances of me making it from there to Rugby without a babysitter to save me from the perils of Virgin trains and Birmingham traffic.  Assuming I make it,

1) can I leave my overnight pannier in your car whilst we're all out riding
2) if Kim's out :( shall I bring my spd shoes on the off-chance that the stoker seat fits? 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #123 on: 23 October, 2010, 09:45:57 am »
No problem with you staying but can't meet you at the station. Have taken an earlier train and have an appointment with a large dose of codeine.

« Reply #124 on: 23 October, 2010, 09:47:31 am »
Martin - I need to check with Kim that she's still OK for me to crash at hers, and look at maps to figure out the chances of me making it from there to Rugby without a babysitter to save me from the perils of Virgin trains and Birmingham traffic.  Assuming I make it,

1) can I leave my overnight pannier in your car whilst we're all out riding
2) if Kim's out :( shall I bring my spd shoes on the off-chance that the stoker seat fits? 

1) yes
2) yes

HTH ;D