Author Topic: Schwalbe Durano Plus  (Read 36144 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Schwalbe Durano Plus
« Reply #100 on: 02 May, 2013, 02:10:02 pm »
Rolls Royce Trent, I expect? ;)
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #101 on: 02 May, 2013, 02:11:37 pm »
Only when my arse is on fire!

« Reply #102 on: 03 May, 2013, 01:23:22 am »
Compared to my old 32mm M+ tyres (800g each) the 25mm D+ (380g each) feel wonderful. Light, fast, grippy... I really like them.

I weighed my 25mm Durano Pluses before use - one was 444g and the other 410g.  Quite a range, and a hefty discrepancy from the advertised weight.

« Reply #103 on: 03 May, 2013, 01:28:27 am »
I run mine at 120.

How are your fillings?  ;)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #104 on: 03 May, 2013, 11:44:37 am »
Compared to my old 32mm M+ tyres (800g each) the 25mm D+ (380g each) feel wonderful. Light, fast, grippy... I really like them.

I weighed my 25mm Durano Pluses before use - one was 444g and the other 410g.  Quite a range, and a hefty discrepancy from the advertised weight.

Still a lot less than the 32mm M+
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #105 on: 03 May, 2013, 12:27:20 pm »
I run mine at 120.

I do too. They aren't particularly cushy on my alu-framed bike, but I've not tried any other tyres on it yet to compare.

« Reply #106 on: 05 May, 2013, 06:15:59 pm »
First proper ride on them yesterday. Felt a lot heavier than the 23mm gatorskins they replaced, but my god the ride was beautiful. They roll really well, offer good feedback and the grip seems excellent. Yet to try them in the wet, but I was really impressed. Of course, no visitations either.

Some of the excellent comfort is probably derived from upgrading to 25s from 23, but hey i'm now a convert.

contango

« Reply #107 on: 05 May, 2013, 06:22:49 pm »
First proper ride on them yesterday. Felt a lot heavier than the 23mm gatorskins they replaced, but my god the ride was beautiful. They roll really well, offer good feedback and the grip seems excellent. Yet to try them in the wet, but I was really impressed. Of course, no visitations either.

Some of the excellent comfort is probably derived from upgrading to 25s from 23, but hey i'm now a convert.

Lady Fate well and truly farted in my face on a ride a couple of weeks back, giving me the pleasure of a force 5 headwind blowing hailstones into my face, soaking me with lashing rain to the point I cut the ride short as I was getting cold and not having much fun (it was only ever intended to be a 25-30 mile ride but ended up being more like 15), only for the sun to come out once I was home and in the shower trying to figure if the water was hot or cold.

Along the way the D+ tyres gripped the road admirably. I'm not into hard cornering and I was keeping my speed down a little because my brakes aren't great in the wet but never had anything less than full confidence that the tyres would stay on the road.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #108 on: 05 May, 2013, 06:36:04 pm »
The positive comments above lead me to think that next time I need new tyres I will change from Marathon Plus to Durano.

Phil W

« Reply #109 on: 05 May, 2013, 10:28:44 pm »
Durano plus for winter, and durano for summer is what I does

ryan

• Going out for a spin ???
« Reply #110 on: 07 May, 2013, 01:50:53 pm »
I think from experience these tyres are the best you can get for Road specific riding only, however as i do some "touring" which includes sub strands and some rougher stuff cycling i opted to change to the marathon Plus option. so for a commuting bike these would be ideal as they look like road tyres with smooth look (no tread pattern), and roll very well and give a great puncture protection.

i have a brand new set of folding 23mm still in box, my old set i put on my "pub bike", then after purchasing a set to use on my road bike i reviewed a little more and decided to opt for martahon plus with tread for teh reason above..

« Reply #111 on: 11 May, 2013, 09:15:28 pm »
First ride in the pissing rain and they filled me with more confidence than the conti's ever did. Ahhhh i'm converted.

« Reply #112 on: 11 May, 2013, 09:20:16 pm »
Well, I think they are great but I do know where Fog hat is coming from when he complains about the lack of comfort. They do give a solid ride feel. I wouldn't use them on my summer bikes except or one of the fixies that gets off roaded

« Reply #113 on: 21 October, 2013, 08:33:15 am »
Had my first puncture yesterday after 1,200 miles on them.

Admittedly, not much it could do a thorny stick wedged itself between my mudguard and the tyre.

That's my first puncture since March 2012 and I managed to change the tube on the side of the road under 10 minutes for the first time. :thumbsup:

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #114 on: 22 February, 2014, 01:54:39 pm »
First puncture on a Durano Plus.
Front wheel, 8870km ridden - still plenty of rubber.
Sliver of glass worked through the puncture proof layer and pricked the tube.
Removed glass, replaced tube and I reckon its good for another few thousand km.

contango

« Reply #115 on: 23 February, 2014, 09:46:03 am »

Lady Fate well and truly farted in my face on a ride a couple of weeks back, giving me the pleasure of a force 5 headwind blowing hailstones into my face, soaking me with lashing rain to the point I cut the ride short as I was getting cold and not having much fun (it was only ever intended to be a 25-30 mile ride but ended up being more like 15), only for the sun to come out once I was home and in the shower trying to figure if the water was hot or cold.

Along the way the D+ tyres gripped the road admirably. I'm not into hard cornering and I was keeping my speed down a little because my brakes aren't great in the wet but never had anything less than full confidence that the tyres would stay on the road.

I'm no longer so impressed with the D+.

Since I put them on I've done less than 2000 miles and the rear tyre is down to the blue protective layer for a good chunk of its length.

I raised a query with Schwalbe trying to figure if I got a dud one or if that really is all I can expect from them. They are very slow to respond. I have a spare D+ I bought before I realised I was going to go through this tyre so fast (and because it was very cheap) so will give them another try, but I'd really hoped they would last a lot better than this.

Obviously they are very different to the Marathon Plus, but after 5000+ miles the front M+ tyre still looks almost new and the rear tyre probably still has several thousand miles in it.

Hopefully the replacement tyre will last a little longer.

« Reply #116 on: 23 February, 2014, 11:55:09 am »
Either a dud or a mechanical issue like something caught and rubbing under mudguard or brake bridge, I think.

The ride on Duranos is not good, but they can't be faulted for longevity or puncture resistance (IMO)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #117 on: 23 February, 2014, 12:28:50 pm »
Agreed. Or your local road surfaces are particularly abrasive. We have D+ on three bikes, total mileage this winter around 3000, and no signs of wear whatsoever. Mine (around 500 winter miles only because I'm a wimp) still have the mould marks showing.

contango

« Reply #118 on: 23 February, 2014, 05:05:06 pm »
Either a dud or a mechanical issue like something caught and rubbing under mudguard or brake bridge, I think.

The ride on Duranos is not good, but they can't be faulted for longevity or puncture resistance (IMO)

Must be a dud one then - I don't have mudguards and the brake bridge is high enough to accommodate stonking great tyres.

If it was a dud I guess the next one will last better.

« Reply #119 on: 23 February, 2014, 05:09:34 pm »
All mine have  :)

contango

« Reply #120 on: 24 February, 2014, 08:38:10 pm »

It burst today. So after about 10 months and about 1800 miles it's totally dead :(

Luckily I'd only got 1.5 miles before the bang, so walking back home wasn't such a big deal. Annoying, but manageable.

« Reply #121 on: 24 February, 2014, 08:40:07 pm »
Why on earth were you riding a tyre that had worn through to the inner layer  ??? ???

contango

« Reply #122 on: 24 February, 2014, 09:25:56 pm »
Why on earth were you riding a tyre that had worn through to the inner layer  ??? ???

The blue puncture resistant strip was visible around the centre, it burst at the side.

In fairness I should probably have swapped it out sooner anyway, but I didn't plan a long ride for today.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #123 on: 24 February, 2014, 09:30:54 pm »
Definitely a dud or an abnormal wear condition...
Mine last at least 6000k  on the rear and over 10,000k on the front and I am no lightweight - 100kg

contango

« Reply #124 on: 26 February, 2014, 11:45:21 pm »
Definitely a dud or an abnormal wear condition...
Mine last at least 6000k  on the rear and over 10,000k on the front and I am no lightweight - 100kg

Interesting, I weigh a little more still (I'm closer to 110kg).

The guy at Schwalbe said they have a weight rating of 70kg at the maximum 115psi. I usually ran mine at 100psi, so he was of the opinion that based on a 40-60 weight distribution I was running pretty close to 70kg on the back tyre, and running them at less than their maximum pressure put further stress on them.

I must admit I'm still a little irked, but had a third one so we'll see how I get on with it. Hopefully it will last a little longer, if not I'll look at the 700x28 version which I think is rated for 85kg and doesn't want quite such a high pressure. Only trouble is you can't get the 700x28 in a folding version, but then if I want to carry a spare I can take the folding 25 and deal with it.