Author Topic: Schwalbe Durano Plus  (Read 36033 times)

Re: Schwalbe Durano Plus
« Reply #125 on: 27 February, 2014, 12:42:11 am »
I must say I have yet to wear out my original Durano Pluses I bought in 2011. I think my rear tyre has now done 12000 miles. No punctures yet   ;D
(I weigh 57kg on a good month and 65 kg on a bad one!)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #126 on: 27 February, 2014, 08:48:56 am »
Just put a pair of 25c D+ on my rebult audax bike.  £19.98 each from SJS seemed very good value:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-plus-hs399-rigid-tyre-700-(622)-prod28433/
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #127 on: 11 July, 2015, 09:35:33 pm »
Thread resurrection time .....

I've been running Vittoria Open Pave CG on the Rourke (Audax/winter bike) since the beginning of the year and whilst they score highly for low weight, speed, good grip they are fragile and look as cut-up as say a PR4 with no discernible benefit in p*ncture protection.  I'm getting to an age and riding 'style' where I simply can't be arsed to put up with p*'s any more.  I've bought M+ for the Brompton and now I'm thinking maybe I should go Durano+ on the Rourke?  Judging by what I read here it could be worth sacrificing a bit of speed for durability.
Before I hit the 'Buy' button, is there anything else worth considering.

Width will be 28mm on 23mm Archetype rims.

I thank you in advance.

« Reply #128 on: 12 July, 2015, 09:00:02 am »
I moved from Open Paves for exactly the reasons that you mention FF.
The replacements were 28mm GP4 seasons and they're still going strong.
The front (now rear) has done 6300 miles and I've had two punctures.
I had to replace the original rear tyre after a piece of glass took a chunk out of the tread. The replacement has done about 4500 miles and it's had, if my records are accurate, 1 puncture.
Interestingly (or not, yawn) all of the punctures were caused by pieces of wire.
From time to time I pull small pieces of glass out of the tread; they never seem to get through the protection.

I can't fault the ride or the grip.
The only (slight) negative is that they're quite difficult to get on to my new rims (Velocity Aleron).

When the time comes for replacement I'll get the same again unless I go tubeless

« Reply #129 on: 12 July, 2015, 07:16:10 pm »
I had to replace the original rear tyre after a piece of glass took a chunk out of the tread. The replacement has done about 4500 miles and it's had, if my records are accurate, 1 puncture.
Interestingly (or not, yawn) all of the punctures were caused by pieces of wire.
From time to time I pull small pieces of glass out of the tread; they never seem to get through the protection.

The only (slight) negative is that they're quite difficult to get on to my new rims (Velocity Aleron).

When the time comes for replacement I'll get the same again unless I go tubeless
Thanks Andrew .... food for thought. 
Much lighter than the Durano+ too.  many of our club guys ride Continentals and they seem to be generally excellent!
Choices choices!

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #130 on: 12 July, 2015, 09:16:42 pm »
TBH if this is for the Rourke I am not sure why you wouldn't go tubeless.  Its not the winter bike and from reading all the other threads on tubeless its seems to work pretty well. Tires are not as cheap but once done seems to give a lot of advantages.

I hope to get to tubeless for the summer bike.

« Reply #131 on: 13 July, 2015, 01:00:00 pm »

Thanks Andrew .... food for thought. 
Much lighter than the Durano+ too.  many of our club guys ride Continentals and they seem to be generally excellent!
Choices choices!

I use archetype rims with durano plus and can't complain on any score, very durable and one puncture in cicrca 15k km from a piece of glass.

I also use GP4season and if you don't get sidewall problems they are excellent too, but in 6 tyres I've had two sidewall issues. So for audax I'm much more at ease using durano plus. They look good on the hplusons to :)