Author Topic: Schwalbe Durano Plus  (Read 36142 times)

Re: Schwalbe Durano Plus
« Reply #75 on: 18 March, 2013, 05:33:14 pm »
That looks like you've had a stone get caught under your brake bridge.

I am truly none the wiser as to the cause of my punctures. There was nothing visible to eye or touch. Pinhole punctures too.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #76 on: 18 March, 2013, 05:36:13 pm »
That looks like you've had a stone get caught under your brake bridge.

You could be right; there isn't a great deal of clearance between wheel and mudguard.  Whilst the bike was on it's back I whipped the rear wheel off and cleared out a load of crap from inside the mudguard that was rubbing on the tyre.  The state of the roads at the moment is truly dreadful.

« Reply #77 on: 18 March, 2013, 05:52:47 pm »
I trashed a brand new Gator once in a similar manner. You'd be surprised how few wheel revolutions it takes.

Roads are fucked. Worryingly, March is normally when you seen road repairs everywhere. None going on round here.

ianrauk

• Tattooed Beat Messiah
« Reply #78 on: 18 March, 2013, 10:11:30 pm »
Put a pair of Durano Plus London's on the commute bike July last year. 4700 miles later and have only suffered 1 puncture and that was within the first 2 weeks of using them.
Very good tyres imvho. Well they have to be if they have survived all those commuting miles on the mean pot holed, glass strewn streets of SE London.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #79 on: 19 March, 2013, 08:36:58 am »
Harrumph!  I compromised and ordered some of these damn London branded ones from Wiggle because they were cheap.

Three times now I've ordered something from Wiggle which is showing as In Stock, then had to wait ages - Snow tyres, latex tubes, and now London tyres.

I might just give up on Wiggle.
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #80 on: 19 March, 2013, 08:59:49 am »
Harrumph!  I compromised and ordered some of these damn London branded ones from Wiggle because they were cheap.

Three times now I've ordered something from Wiggle which is showing as In Stock, then had to wait ages - Snow tyres, latex tubes, and now London tyres.

I have a London branded D+ (£19.99) on order from this eBay seller.  Admittedly it hasn't turned up yet, delivery is estimated for Thursday.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #81 on: 19 March, 2013, 10:41:24 am »
Are the "London" ones any different from the regular wired version, apart from the pretty decoration round the side?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #82 on: 19 March, 2013, 10:44:30 am »
Not as far as I am aware.
Getting there...

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #83 on: 06 April, 2013, 11:35:56 pm »
Are the "London" ones any different from the regular wired version, apart from the pretty decoration round the side?

The "London" Marathon Plus tyres have a fancy "London" logo on the sidewall instead of a reflective strip. Don't know about the Durano Plus ones...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #84 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:06:22 am »
The regular D+ don't have a reflective strip - at least mine don't. The London variants have more reflective stuff on them which is good.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #85 on: 07 April, 2013, 09:16:49 am »

I've got a pair of 25mm D+ tyres on order. I'm used to 32mm Marathon Plus tyres so the D+ should feel quite light and smooth by comparison.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #86 on: 07 April, 2013, 04:16:27 pm »

Still waiting.  Wiggle are crap.
Getting there...

« Reply #87 on: 07 April, 2013, 05:21:40 pm »
So having taken the 25mm Durano Plus tyres off with impressive but regrettable alacrity after their first ride, I've put some miles on their replacements, namely 26.5mm Continental Gator Hardshells. 

What a relief! Almost as comfortable as the 26.5mm Gatorskins the Durano Pluses had replaced - the Hardshells are noticeably tougher and thicker-walled and thicker-treaded than the Gatorskins, so not surprising they ride slightly stiffer, but nowhere near as bad as the Durano Pluses.  I suspect this is largely because the actual air volume in the 25mm Durano Plus is much reduced owing to the very thick puncture resistant strip.

Also, the Hardshells grip well and roll well.  The good news is that the 26.5mm version (labelled '28') has recently been released with folding bead, and it weighs only 320g compared with 410-440g for the Durano Plus.  Folding versions of the wider Gatorskins (labelled '28' and '32') have also just been released, each saving a fair bit of weight over their wired counterparts.  Only Ribble seems to stock the wider folders at present (well, 28s at least - the 32s are "out of stock"): no one else even lists them.

So my early conclusion (subject to long-term assessment of Hardshell puncture resistance) is that the Durano Plus is not really the most appropriate tyre for all-day riding on Britain's dreadfully rough roads now that 26.5mm folding Hardshells exist.  The Hardshell seems to offer the best compromise of comfort, grip, weight and robustness, while the Durano Plus is more suited to riding shorter distances where puncture resistance is the overriding priority (e.g. commuting on glass-strewn roads/paths) and where comfort is low on the agenda.

« Reply #88 on: 02 May, 2013, 07:13:47 am »
My lovely wife bought me a pair of Durano + 25mm for my birthday. They weigh a veritable ton compared to the 23mm Gatorskins they replaced, which is good because its going on my Training/winter bike. What's the point in having a light training bike?

First time I have ridden on 25's and it's a very plush ride and I can already tell the rubber compound is going to offer more grip in the wet than the gatorskins.

I am working on 110psi on the back and 100 on the front. I'm 65kg so this should suffice?

« Reply #89 on: 02 May, 2013, 08:24:52 am »
On most tyres I'd tell you to drop the front to 90 and rear to 95/100. You are light. But Durano's drag like a spoon through treacle unless you keep the pressure up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #90 on: 02 May, 2013, 08:39:29 am »
My lovely wife bought me a pair of Durano + 25mm for my birthday. They weigh a veritable ton compared to the 23mm Gatorskins they replaced, which is good because its going on my Training/winter bike. What's the point in having a light training bike?

First time I have ridden on 25's and it's a very plush ride and I can already tell the rubber compound is going to offer more grip in the wet than the gatorskins.

I am working on 110psi on the back and 100 on the front. I'm 65kg so this should suffice?

I'm 20kgs heavier than you, and I run my Durano Plus 28s at 100/110, at which they feel excellent (on a light bike). You could certainly get away with a lower pressure, but you'll have to try it and see how it feels for you.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #91 on: 02 May, 2013, 09:53:08 am »
I'm 20kgs heavier than you, and I run my Durano Plus 28s at 100/110, at which they feel excellent (on a light bike). You could certainly get away with a lower pressure, but you'll have to try it and see how it feels for you.

You'd want a higher pressure on 25s than on 28s though, right?

I'm about 70kg and run my DP 25s at about 100-110psi. Tbh, I don't find 10psi either way makes an awful lot of difference. But maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #92 on: 02 May, 2013, 10:20:01 am »
IME it won't with Durano Plus. 

with very lightweight thin tyres, running at lower pressures gives a plush ride without increasing rolling resistance. With D+ it makes them feel soggy and slow. 
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #93 on: 02 May, 2013, 11:11:37 am »
I run mine at 120. It always seems to be the riders in the groups I ride with who run lower pressure who get pinch flats when they hit holes. I don't check them every ride though so they gradually fall towards 100 by the time I next pump them up. I started PBP with my 25's at 120 but I suspect they were lower by the end.

I've worn out 2 sets of these now that never came off the rims once installed because they never punctured.

Occasionally I feel tempted to try other types of tyre to see if it would make me faster because I have no prior experience to compare them to, but the thought of standing in a muddy verge changing a tube watching my average speed go to crap puts me off this idea  ;D

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #94 on: 02 May, 2013, 11:13:26 am »

I've got a pair of 25mm D+ tyres on order. I'm used to 32mm Marathon Plus tyres so the D+ should feel quite light and smooth by comparison.

Compared to my old 32mm M+ tyres (800g each) the 25mm D+ (380g each) feel wonderful. Light, fast, grippy... I really like them.

Having tried a couple of types of tyre that were lighter still (not sure just how light) I'm going to stick with puncture protection. I split the sidewall on a Continental 4 Seasons tyre after 13 miles and on a different lightweight tyre I got a flat thanks to a sharp stone after less than 1 mile. Against the hassles of that I'll take a bit of extra weight for the puncture resistance.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #95 on: 02 May, 2013, 11:23:39 am »
Occasionally I feel tempted to try other types of tyre to see if it would make me faster because I have no prior experience to compare them to, but the thought of standing in a muddy verge changing a tube watching my average speed go to crap puts me off this idea  ;D

Sounds about right to me. I don't like the harsh ride from them but if your roads aren't too bad and you can put up with the ride then they are ok.

Your commute is hilly and I suspect you'd notice a difference when climbing if you used lighter tyres.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #96 on: 02 May, 2013, 11:29:08 am »
I've tried Stelvios in the past and remember experiencing more flats than with pasella's/gatorskins so I've never used Schwalbe since.

Recent post in a blog that I follow (edit: relating to 'ordinary Durano' - thanks for pointing that out mrcharly)

http://chikashimiyamoto.wordpress.com/2013/04/30/explosion-in-liege/

edit: I'm always reticent when recommending tyres - it really is a case of 'one man's meat.....'

« Reply #97 on: 02 May, 2013, 11:35:05 am »
That's about ordinary durano tho'.

Durano Plus are second only to Marathon Plus in durability and longevity, IMHO
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #98 on: 02 May, 2013, 11:48:45 am »
When I've had D+, I've run 110/110

I'm heavier than many other riders, though, including mrcharly, of course.
Getting there...

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #99 on: 02 May, 2013, 12:58:33 pm »

Sounds about right to me. I don't like the harsh ride from them but if your roads aren't too bad and you can put up with the ride then they are ok.

Your commute is hilly and I suspect you'd notice a difference when climbing if you used lighter tyres.

Compared to most lightweight tyres that I use (all on pretty stiff bikes) - Michelin Pro Race 3, Schwalbe Ultremo ZX, Michelin Krylion, the Schwalbe Duranos ride like a Rolls Royce!