Author Topic: Cutlery lust  (Read 75403 times)

Re: Cutlery lust
« Reply #450 on: October 14, 2018, 09:13:22 pm »
When I was in Vienna earlier in the year I was impressed with the several cutlery shops I saw. Haven't seen shops like that in the UK for decades. Sold Swiss Army knives, Opinel, carving knives, hairdressers scissors etc etc etc. Lovely.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #451 on: December 31, 2018, 03:53:37 pm »
Saw Millets was having a decent sale and got a SAK Waiter to replace the one I've mislaid, and a Leatherman Micra. The latter really is weeny - it will probably mostly live in a bag pocket, but would happily fit on a keyring.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #452 on: December 31, 2018, 04:10:10 pm »
Not being a fan of sporks, I have a set of stainless steel cutlery for camping that slots together into a holder that looks like it should double as a tin opener. I've never used the tin opener part so don't know how well it works – I'm unlikely to use tins on camp and in any case have a tin opener on my SAK. As cutlery it works every bit as well as anything you have at home, but it is quite heavy. So I was quite pleased to find a set of ultralight "aerospace alloy" aluminium cutlery, with no tin opener but a miniature carabiner to hold it all together. Upon opening the packet, I was slightly less impressed; everything's light and sharp but, of course, ultralight means a little bit flexy. Still an awful lot better than a spork though.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #453 on: December 31, 2018, 06:01:48 pm »
I made these when I was an apprentice Blacksmith
[IMG-0115.jpg](https://postimg.cc/ZCVT3NNP)

« Reply #454 on: April 17, 2020, 10:25:57 pm »

« Reply #455 on: April 17, 2020, 10:56:41 pm »
I have been trying to source some new but traditional pattern butter knives recently. Not an easy task. Someone now thinks that these knives should be tiny. presumably for use with biscuits etc rather than the traditional 8" or so English large flat bladed knife with 'bone' handle for walloping bread rounds. I eventually found a Viners set of full size knives but not the pattern I was seeking, but never mind. Opinel do something similar but with timber handle which has its disadvantages.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #456 on: April 18, 2020, 11:01:42 am »
Fork facts.

http://www.eatingutensils.net/
Fails to mention my favourite, the scrap of chapati or roti. But we can all be thankful for:
Spork - Hybrid of spoon and fork.
Knork - Hybrid of knife and fork.
Spife - Hybrid of knife and spoon.
Sporf - Hybrid of knife, fork and spoon.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Pedaldog

• M' back!
  • Contemplating the ashes of experience.
« Reply #457 on: April 18, 2020, 11:13:04 pm »
Titanium Spork arrived inna post today. Hope it's not too long before I can use it "In Situ".

« Reply #458 on: May 04, 2020, 12:07:16 pm »
When I was in Vienna earlier in the year I was impressed with the several cutlery shops I saw. Haven't seen shops like that in the UK for decades. Sold Swiss Army knives, Opinel, carving knives, hairdressers scissors etc etc etc. Lovely.

Same in Switzerland last year, we came home with a small set of kitchen knives from Victorinox which are made small enough to fit into our camp kitchen.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.