Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 184545 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1475 on: April 26, 2019, 10:08:21 am »
Unfortunately I have had to buy a load of repair tape.   Went camping for an overnight as a shake down and found 2 holes in My MSR Elixier inner tent, and one in the Footprint,  goodness only knows how I managed that.  The repair tape does seem tough and seems to stick well.

Also bought a second sit mat.   At arond 5 C  my Decathlon sleep may mat was not up to the cold where my hips were.   Final solution after using the pad on my trousers was my sit mat.  Only my hips were cold so a may undet that worked.   After that I even overslept! The solution in my limiting weather conditionss, take 2 sit mats light and gives a bit more flexibility in where to place them.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1476 on: April 26, 2019, 01:06:33 pm »
A dim but enough to read by and handsfree red light is also good for my (occasional) astronomy. I'm still looking for the right light for that.

Is there a frequency at which the pwm ceases to be hard work for the eyes?

IEEE1789 makes some reasonable recommendations for frequency and modulation.  For 100% modulation, they suggest the switching frequency should be above 1250Hz.  That seems about right for my own experience of LED flicker:  I can see artefacts on fast-moving objects at 1kHz, but it's not otherwise noticeable.  (I can see 100Hz flicker quite easily, but it doesn't usually bother me.)  But I don't think IEEE1789 goes far enough for the minority of people who are particularly sensitive, or when movement is to be expected (eg. vehicle lighting).

In our informal tests, barakta can see the flicker up to about 6kHz.  I doubt she's unique, though the effect on her visual system is extremely unusual (most people who are sensitive will suffer migraine, fatigue or autistic over-stimulation without necessarily being aware of the cause of the problem[1], rather than see stroboscopic artefacts on non-moving objects).  On that basis, I'd want it above 10kHz for a decent safety margin, at which point you're bang in the middle of the audio range, which is a recipe for sensory assault by whistling inductors instead.  (Also interference with audio-frequency electronic equipment, such as recording devices, guitar pickups or hearing aid induction loops.)

We have a couple of desk lamps that switch in the ~50kHz range.  Neither of us can tell the difference between that and DC, even with fast-moving objects.

I'd suggest that if you're driving LEDs with PWM, the frequency should be above the audio band, in the tens of kilohertz.  DC current-dimming (which can still be done using efficient switching regulators) may be appropriate if low-end colour stability isn't critical.  Anything with more than a slight ripple[2] at AC mains frequency belongs in the bin.  I expect the IEEE and lighting organisations will come around to this view eventually, with the no-name Chinese manufacturers catching up several decades later.

[1] I bet some of the 'allergic to WiFi' brigade are in this category.
[2] Impressively, barakta can see the 100Hz ripple on halogen lighting, so even that's not immune.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #1477 on: April 26, 2019, 01:10:33 pm »
A dim but enough to read by and handsfree red light is also good for my (occasional) astronomy. I'm still looking for the right light for that.

Is there a frequency at which the pwm ceases to be hard work for the eyes?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Many of the Petzl headlights have a red light mode for reading maps at night without affecting night vision.  You press and hold the main button till it changes between modes.

« Reply #1478 on: May 29, 2019, 07:24:01 pm »
Bought a new mattress. Should I store it unfolded, as flat as possible?

Website says store flat and dry, no problem.

« Reply #1479 on: May 30, 2019, 11:55:38 pm »
Just pressed the button on a Luxe Mega-Horn II;

http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog-topic-gallery-view1.asp?id=1396&selfpath=/173

Hopefully it won't be too long before I get some pictures posted.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1480 on: June 04, 2019, 06:46:42 pm »
A gas canister stand. £3 from AliExpress. And all metal, maybe stronger than the MSR stand with plastic bits?
Should make my Pocket Rocket a bit more stable. Or can be used to hold the canister upside down, for my Windpro.

« Reply #1481 on: June 04, 2019, 08:32:48 pm »
A head torch with a red led option for £4 pounds in  millets in Shrewsbury  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1482 on: June 06, 2019, 10:13:43 pm »
How did you end up in Shrewsbury?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1483 on: June 07, 2019, 06:01:25 am »
A gas canister stand. £3 from AliExpress. And all metal, maybe stronger than the MSR stand with plastic bits?
Should make my Pocket Rocket a bit more stable. Or can be used to hold the canister upside down, for my Windpro.

I thought the WindPro came with a canister stand?  https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/canister-stoves/windpro-ii#product-info

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1484 on: June 07, 2019, 08:48:38 am »

I thought the WindPro came with a canister stand?  https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/canister-stoves/windpro-ii#product-info
Mine is the original WindPro, not the WindPro 2. So it didn't include a canister stand.

« Reply #1485 on: June 07, 2019, 12:23:21 pm »
A head torch with a red led option for £4 pounds in  millets in Shrewsbury  :)
I was visiting nobby and we went to Shrewsbury to trawl the charity shops   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1486 on: July 03, 2019, 07:54:34 pm »
My Brukit and canister have arrived!  Seems to boil water faster than even the gas cooker!

Off on my travels on Sunday with ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo overnight.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1487 on: July 03, 2019, 08:33:36 pm »
My Brukit and canister have arrived!  Seems to boil water faster than even the gas cooker!

Doesn't seem unusual for high-pressure butane/propane stoves to out-perform low-pressure gas burners.  I expect there's a corresponding loss of efficiency...
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #1488 on: July 08, 2019, 05:50:56 pm »
Bought a Vango F10 HELIUM UL 2 tent ready to go on some adventures with the kids (one at a time - the age gap necessitates that now so I figured the tent may as well comply).

Got a couple of small-ish sleeping bags ready for the adventure too!

Exciting!  :thumbsup: 8)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1489 on: July 18, 2019, 08:08:22 pm »
An Alpkit Soloist tent.
Quite lightweight, and packs small. Seems easy enough to put together, it is freestanding, helps for test pitching it in the lounge.
It is rather narrow, but tall, high enough to sit up. Think it will be a nice little brother for my Alpkit Tetri.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1490 on: July 19, 2019, 06:21:12 am »
a snugpack junglebag, packs into about a quarter of the volume of my old green worm bag
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens