Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 197676 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1500 on: February 05, 2020, 11:40:00 pm »
Well, I’ve got a bit carried away, but have my (hopefully) light but warm Bivy set up sorted:

All in it weighs 1360g:
- alpkit kloke Bivy,
- Thermarest xtherm mat,
- sea to summit spark ii sleeping bag (-2 limit)
- all wrapped up in a Medium Sea to summit compression dry bag. 

So how do the actual weights compare to the advertised weights?  I'm new to the current range of bivvy gear and am interested in how low you can go in terms of weight... and cost! 
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #1501 on: February 06, 2020, 09:06:37 am »
1) Snow Deer Electric Heated Gloves - reinforced one, seems more intiguing choice than liners or mittens
2) Midweight Hiking Sock - just in case
3) Patagonia Thermal Weight Baselayer - top and bottom, that is for my trip the Tyndal Plateau
4) ENKEEO portable power station - this is not quite camping gear, but most review website suggest these power banks as additional power backup in the woods. https://wildproofgear.com/the-best-portable-power-station/
Gonna test this item in the Summer.

« Reply #1502 on: February 15, 2020, 10:55:55 pm »
Well, I’ve got a bit carried away, but have my (hopefully) light but warm Bivy set up sorted:

All in it weighs 1360g:
- alpkit kloke Bivy,
- Thermarest xtherm mat,
- sea to summit spark ii sleeping bag (-2 limit)
- all wrapped up in a Medium Sea to summit compression dry bag. 

So how do the actual weights compare to the advertised weights?  I'm new to the current range of bivvy gear and am interested in how low you can go in terms of weight... and cost!

Must be pretty close to spec I think, will try to weigh them soon & report back 👍

« Reply #1503 on: February 17, 2020, 12:06:19 am »

Random things I weighed :)

- alpkit kloke Bivy, (280g)
- Thermarest xtherm mat, (448g + 16g bag)
- sea to summit spark ii sleeping bag (-2 limit) (510g + 36g bag)
- Medium Sea to summit compression dry bag.  (139g)
- Rab siltarp 1 (227g + 12g bag)
- Alpkit hunka Xl Bivy (476g)
- Sea to summit ultrasil 1l dry bag (14g)
- Exped UL 3l dry bag (15g)

« Reply #1504 on: February 17, 2020, 12:08:52 pm »

Looks like a really lightweight set of kit!

What are your thoughts on the Kloke versus the Hunka XL, in terms of things like size, durability, etc? (I realise it's maybe a bit early to say anything definite yet. 😊)

I really like the breathability of the Kloke, as I can be quite a sweaty person and would like to avoid my down bag getting soaked in condensation. I would also like to fit a 7cm sleeping pad in there with me (c.180cm, 75-80kg) ; what's the fit like with your Thermarest, or do you put the pad under the bag?

« Reply #1505 on: February 17, 2020, 06:08:20 pm »
What are your thoughts on the Kloke versus the Hunka XL, in terms of things like size, durability, etc? (I realise it's maybe a bit early to say anything definite yet. 😊)

I really like the breathability of the Kloke, as I can be quite a sweaty person and would like to avoid my down bag getting soaked in condensation. I would also like to fit a 7cm sleeping pad in there with me (c.180cm, 75-80kg) ; what's the fit like with your Thermarest, or do you put the pad under the bag?

Too soon to tell (not used ether for real  ::-) )

I bought the Kloke as the Hunka XL packed size just seemed too big for the intended ultra race & the draw string felt like something I'd get all tangled up with in the middle of the night!  I also fancied having both so that I can take one of the kids out in nicer weather & the Kloke was on offer.

The Kloke feels much more breathable than the Hunka.  It's certainly smaller but still has enough volume to take the mat, bag & me whilst letting the bag loft sufficiently.  I've not got a large chest, it may be too tight if you're bigger.  The Hunka XL on the other hand feels cavernous, plenty of room for mat/bag/person & wriggling.  Both have room for bags/shoes at the top or bottom.

I'll report back when I've tried them in anger (didn't fancy either of the last two weekends!)

Edit, I’m c179cm & 70kg so would think you’ll fit ok with mat inside

« Reply #1506 on: February 17, 2020, 11:20:06 pm »

Thanks Bobby, that's really useful and a very nice selection of kit you have put together!  Good luck in your adventures :thumbsup:
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas