Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 206633 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1525 on: May 02, 2020, 06:50:31 pm »
The Thermarest one looks like next-level comfort, though perhaps a bit on the bulky side for cycle-camping or backpacking.

I’m not sure I see the point of an inflatable pillow that is too bulky for lightweight use.

If I’ve got to use the car I’ll just take an actual pillow.
Don't ask.

« Reply #1526 on: May 02, 2020, 07:06:02 pm »
I gave up on the thermarest pillow found it uncomfortable. Much prefer the exped air pillow.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #1527 on: May 02, 2020, 11:05:09 pm »
If it's warm enough not to need the hood of my sleeping bag for its intended purpose, I tend to use it as a pillow restraint.  If it's cold I tend not to thrash around as much anyway.
I could of mentioned I use a quilt rather than a bag, the mat needs a cover anyway, so it made sense to attach the pillow to it.

« Reply #1528 on: May 03, 2020, 01:44:00 pm »
Main problem I've had with any camping pillow is getting it to stay on the mat, making a mat cover with a sleeve for the pillow has been one of my better ideas.

I could of mentioned I use a quilt rather than a bag, the mat needs a cover anyway, so it made sense to attach the pillow to it.

Similar set-up here  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1529 on: May 03, 2020, 02:02:57 pm »
I insert the top of my mat into a T-shirt and then the pillow goes inside. Simples.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #1530 on: May 03, 2020, 02:15:29 pm »
How are people using and getting on with these quilts? I understand they're not literally quilts as in camping duvets but have some sort of straps to tie to the mat? Don't you then get draughts? And what do you use as a "sheet"?

On the pillow question, I'm happy to fold some clothes and put them underneath my sleeping bag hood or occasionally not bother at all.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #1531 on: May 03, 2020, 03:53:17 pm »
How are people using and getting on with these quilts? I understand they're not literally quilts as in camping duvets but have some sort of straps to tie to the mat? Don't you then get draughts? And what do you use as a "sheet"?

My quilt is just that, a rectangle filled with down. It also has, though I don't use, a drawstring at the bottom so you could make a foot box and some soft velcro like stuff on three edges so you could make into a sleeping bag.  It doesn't have anything to tie it to the mat, though I have seen some that do.  I have an Exped Synmat which goes in a light cotton cover, originally a rectangle sleeping bag liner, later a custom cover that fits better, and has the pillow sleeve. It's large enough not to get draughts and easier to regulate warmth than any sleeping bag I've tried.  I sleep as well as I do at home, I don't winter camp, though it's kept me warm on some frosty nights.  I also wear lightweight PJ's, which occasionally also get used as a spare base layer.
This one is the closest to mine, though the design has changed a bit and there's loads more choice now than when I bought it
https://www.jacksrbetter.com/product/shenandoah-summer-hammock-quilt/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #1532 on: May 03, 2020, 05:57:58 pm »
I have two quilts (one thin synthetic made by MLD, one down by ZPacks) and don't use the straps, just tuck it under me; when buying a quilt make sure it is wide enough for you. I don't bother with sheets on my Expad mat either  ;D

« Reply #1533 on: May 03, 2020, 10:56:20 pm »

On the pillow question, I'm happy to fold some clothes and put them underneath my sleeping bag hood or occasionally not bother at all.

Revelation by name, revelation by nature. https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-custom/

It's at least the same size as a single duvet, but warmer and lighter. It has optional straps but I've never used them. I don't think of draughts as being an issue; in the cold I zip up and cinch the bottom third to make a footbox, in the warm I might need to ventilate because it can get a bit too toasty. I use a "sheet" as a "sheet"! (100% cotton, sewn up like a liner bag so it doubles as an anti-squeak layer under the mat and an anti-lying-on-plastic layer on top. Retaining loop for a pillow or jacket or whatever combination of soft things I'm using as a pillow. The drawback to using cotton is it can get a bit damp with condensation, but on balance it works for me and my priorities.)

I insert the top of my mat into a T-shirt and then the pillow goes inside. Simples.
Nice!  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1534 on: May 03, 2020, 11:01:41 pm »
As a habitual sticker-out-of-feet the idea of a quilt appeals for warm weather.  Of course, if it's properly hot a sleeping bag liner is sufficient.

Like most things, the unpredictability of the BRITISH weather doesn't make this easy.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #1535 on: May 04, 2020, 08:28:31 am »
Tryed a couple of new things on my trip for breakfast yesterday.  I had been looking at something to act as a "table" to put stuff on while picnicing.  The lockdown drives obsession so I looked at the Backpackers table and light weight chopping boards. Then I remembered that I had a fold flat plate set.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orikaso-Solo-Set-Red/dp/B000XYMXYO
Its normaly in the camping bag so not used often so moved into the Brompton bag.   This worked a treat, somwhere to put cooking items and somwhere to put your cobs as you put the fryed bacon on them and can double as a cutting bord and alamost as cheat as just a light weight cutting board.   After a couple of minutes I had even mastered the folding cup.  The folding cup is lighter then Lifeventure TI cup by a few grams, but perhaps that is a step too fat.    So now the kit has moved into every week use.
Second item, a sign of the times, my wife is partly doisabled so a treat for her on our wedding aniversary was a buggy round ASDA in the evening whikle I did the shopping, yes in these starge times this was a treat.  I came across QT black tea with whitener, actaully its drinkable.  I have used it with my breakfast and eliminates bulk and hard to dispose of tea bags.  Don't throw them away on trips! My breakfast involved clearing othet folks used teabages away before I could have my breakfast.

Stay safe

« Reply #1536 on: May 04, 2020, 05:28:18 pm »
My alpkit dozer arrived today, after preordering it a few weeks ago.

It’s primarily for car camping, but the packed size is not much bigger than the foam mat I use for winter camping. So it may get used on the bike occasionally for trips where the camping to cycling ratio favours comfort.

It goes without saying I’ve had a test nap.  :P
Don't ask.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #1537 on: May 04, 2020, 05:56:03 pm »

Revelation by name, revelation by nature. https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-custom/

It's at least the same size as a single duvet, but warmer and lighter. It has optional straps but I've never used them. I don't think of draughts as being an issue; in the cold I zip up and cinch the bottom third to make a footbox, in the warm I might need to ventilate because it can get a bit too toasty. I use a "sheet" as a "sheet"! (100% cotton, sewn up like a liner bag so it doubles as an anti-squeak layer under the mat and an anti-lying-on-plastic layer on top. Retaining loop for a pillow or jacket or whatever combination of soft things I'm using as a pillow. The drawback to using cotton is it can get a bit damp with condensation, but on balance it works for me and my priorities.)
Looks very much like one of those sleeping bags with an all-round zip so you can lie it flat. Which I suppose it is, really, by another name. In fact it reminds me of a sleeping bag I had as a child, which came from Woolworths. I kind of expect the one you've linked to is somewhat better quality...

As a habitual sticker-out-of-feet the idea of a quilt appeals for warm weather.  Of course, if it's properly hot a sleeping bag liner is sufficient.

Like most things, the unpredictability of the BRITISH weather doesn't make this easy.
I'm thinking of that Saturday night at Twitey's last summer... and the gorgeous weather surrounding it.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #1538 on: May 15, 2020, 08:57:22 am »
Yesterday my new TI folding Spoon arrived as I losytmy last on that did not fold.  Folding is better it fits well in the Lifeventure TI cup.  Also due today a Nalgene Bottel (my Pee bottle).  |eXPENSIVE BUT A LEAK WOULD BE VERY BAD NEWS https://yacf.co.uk/forum/Smileys/classic/facepalm.gif.