Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 216706 times)

Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1575 on: August 16, 2020, 01:01:25 pm »
Here’s my bivvy which I’ve had a while.

In the second photo I was seeing how it’d work with an emergency survival bag to save bulk. Third photo all packed up with inflatable mat inside the bivvy bag,  and emergency bag in long thin orange bag. Total weight 1020g. Fourth photo packed between my recumbent seat and wheel and seat bag , avoiding rack needing to be installed. If rack was installed I’d probably take my 300g sleeping bag. I measure my stuff against foot size.

Been looking at setup as Wild Atlantic Way audax if it runs next year may need to use campsites instead of sports halls for sleeping.

« Reply #1577 on: August 27, 2020, 03:56:23 pm »
Just taken delivery of a Petzl Noctilight. I only heard of these the other day, and am more excited by it than I should be (yes, I could just hang my headtorch up in my tent, but now I have an actual purpose-made case to do it!). Though judging by the weather we've had all week, I'm not going to be testing it any time soon...

« Reply #1578 on: August 28, 2020, 09:57:55 am »
Just taken delivery of a Petzl Noctilight. I only heard of these the other day, and am more excited by it than I should be (yes, I could just hang my headtorch up in my tent, but now I have an actual purpose-made case to do it!). Though judging by the weather we've had all week, I'm not going to be testing it any time soon...

I've got one of these (even though my Alpkit headtorch doesn't quite fit). The way it disperses the light if you're using it as a lantern inside the tent is quite handy.

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #1579 on: September 03, 2020, 12:52:54 pm »
I fancied a camp frying pan. One of those Trangia hard anodized ones, cos everyone loves a hardened Swedish pan, don't they? <insert Abba> But the big ones are family mean sized and the small ones are unobtainium. So instead I took advantage of Alpkit's bank holiday offer and got their Alipots. This means a) the Alipots will soon be reduced by a larger amount, b) I can get rid of my "mess tin" with worn out teflon. Ali Pots got here today and omg huge! I mean size is good, but... So I'll probably only be using the smaller one. Also, the lids are rather loose. TBF, there was a review which said as much, but they should be good for frying and stuff. The Seagull brand pot I have atm has a tight fit* lid which is great as a lid but can't be used for anything else. So all I need now is an expotition.

*In the jungle, the mighty jungle [that's way too much 80s music now, stop].
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #1580 on: September 15, 2020, 10:36:36 pm »
I've just ordered a tent!  :thumbsup:

Alas I'm camping Thursday and delivery is expected Friday but hey ho.

I don't really need another tent but my nicer one is...errr...seventeen years old and starting to get a little worn. Though given it was <£50 it really doesn't owe me anything. It's still trucking along mind but it's 5kg. The new one is also a two person tent and is only 2.6kg and packs up rather smaller.

The old tent is a Vango Trek 200 and the new one is this from Decathlon.

It doesn't have a floor to the porch like the old one but I've got Ortlieb panniers so it doesn't really matter.

I've also got a wee Lidl tent that's only 1.5kg but it's single skin so condensation aplenty and one enters at the end rather than the side so as to get completely covered in said condensation.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1581 on: September 16, 2020, 09:48:13 am »
Huel have brought out a 'hot and savoury' range of dehydrated, nutritious meals comprising tomato and basil and thai green curry, both vegan.

As I prefer just to carry a Jetboil for cooking this is interesting, especially as we're not as keen on going to the pub while camping as we once were.

Major downside is the minimum order is much more than I'd like, but we already get through a fair amount of the milkshake mix blended with fruit for breakfast (and occasionally lunch) and early reviews are favourable so I've taken a risk and added some to our next order. If it is edible it will be about a third of the cost of Firepot meals (which are very good, but not cheap either).