Author Topic: Ribble Cycles  (Read 45931 times)

αdαmsκι

• Twitter @Dr_AAY Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Ribble Cycles
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:45:44 pm »
Ribble Cycles are based in Preston.  They have a large internet presence, but have recieved a variety of flak for their customer service and delivery rates.

The only time I've used them was to buy one of their Audax bikes because it seemed such good value for money.  The ability to mix & match parts is very good esp. when you are on a limited budget.  The bike was delieved two weeks after I ordered it, which I consider was acceptable esp. as that period also included a Bank Holiday.  The bike, which was shipped by Parcel Force for an extra £20, turned up neatly package in a huge box.  I needed to turn the handlebars and mount the seat and seat post before I could use the bike.  All in all I was very happy. 

However, there are a couple of ways they could improve their service  Firstly, I couldn't get their website to work properly with Firefox.  I don't have another web browser on my laptop and therefore I had to order it from my work computer which has Internet Explorer.  Secondly, apart from a confirmation email I didn't hear anything from Ribble.  I needed to be at home to collect the bike, so after a week I phoned them for a delivery date.  I was told a date and was also told I'd get an email.  The day before delivery I hadn't recieved the email and therefore another phone call to confirm that I would be reciving the bike and I should be at home.  In the end the bike did turn up when they said it would, but it felt slightly annoying having to call them for delivery dates.  I accepted that delievery dates of smaller items isn't a problem but it's useful to know when the item is a bike that won't fit through the letterbox!  These are only minor problems and while I'm unlikely to order smaller items from Ribble (other companies are cheaper), I would consider using them again for a whole bike.  Now I need to go and ride lots of miles on the new bike.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: Ribble Cycles
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:48:03 pm »
The website worked fine for me in Firefox a few weeks ago.

αdαmsκι

• Twitter @Dr_AAY Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 01:51:34 pm »
Strange.  I tried Firefox from both my work computer and my laptop and couldn't get it to work.  Or rather I couldn't get the Bike Builder bit of the website to work.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 05:18:30 am »
The worst customer service I have ever received was from Ribble Cycles when they messed me about after they messed up my order.  They owed me money for ages and seemed to take delight in ignoring my phone calls, letters and emails, including those addressed to the Managing Director.

They will never get another penny from me, and I will never mention anything they sell in answer to a query on this or any other forum.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 04:26:09 pm »
Strange.  I tried Firefox from both my work computer and my laptop and couldn't get it to work.  Or rather I couldn't get the Bike Builder bit of the website to work.

Bikebuilder works in IE or Safari. Doesn't work in FireFox.

The Special Edition Bikes section only works in IE. Not in FireFox or Safari.

(All of this on Windows XP).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 07:12:32 pm »
I must admit after all the horror stories I've read over the years, I was reluctant to order a component from them, but I needed it quickly and they were the only who had it in stock. It arrived the next day without problem. I bought something else which turned out not to be suitable but I couldn’t return it until about a month after I bought it. They refunded my card straight away. Perhaps they're getting better/have sacked the miscreants/whatever, after all , no shop can survive on a bad reputation forever.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 09:12:42 pm »
I have just bought a complete winter bike from them - and it was bloomin hard work.

First off when I called for advice about sizing I had a succession of off-hand conversations from people who gave the distinct impression that any question was a source of irritation.  And a general enquiry about the standard chainwheel was met by a brusque "we don't do special orders..."

However, because the bike was the only one I can afford at the moment I stuck with it and ordered on-line.  The website said delivery in 7-14 days and after about 10 days I got an email saying that they would be building the bike on the 14th day.  When I tried to contact them I got no response to emails, or messages left on their out of hours phone line.  During the day the phone seemed to be permanently engaged - perhaps it's time for them to invest in one of those modern call-handling systems.

Eventually I got a really blunt email confirming that the bike had been been built and despatched - no hint of an apology for the poor communication.

The bike itself is fine - I just resent British Rail style customer service.  If McDonalds can be helpful and pleasant when you're spending three quid, it beats me why these guys get away with Soviet-era bad manners....

Liam

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 03:09:24 pm »
What has happened to their prices?.I was in the process of buying brakes and they went from £33+ to £49+. :(
No longer competitive.
They used to be good when you spent over £50 which tempted you every time.

No longer really worth looking at for parts.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 03:59:42 pm »
  During the day the phone seemed to be permanently engaged - perhaps it's time for them to invest in one of those modern call-handling systems.

So..... you've just paid bugger all for a winter bike with a spec that would cost another £200 on the price tag if it had the word Giant, Trek or Specialized on it.  Do you really think they could sell it you for that price if they had to pay the salaries of further members of staff whose role is purely to man the phone or respond to emails?

You pays yer money.....

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 01:08:42 pm »
Ordered 2pm yesterday, arrived this morning. I don't know whether to  be more impressed by Ribble or the Post Office at Christmas.

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 06:11:54 pm »
Customer service is best described as indifferent, but my winter frame is exceedingly good value for money and does exactly what it says on the package.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 08:09:41 pm »
It's a few months since I last used them, but I must say that I placed several orders with them earlier this year and everything was delivered on time, no probs and exactly as described. Couldn't fault them and would use them again.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 08:37:50 pm »
I used Ribble for the first time this last week - 3 sets of tyres and a saddle.  Ordered last Thursday and arrived on Monday, all present and correct.  Keen prices, and an extra 15% discount for buying just before Christmas.  So my experience has been wholly positive, though I'm well aware of the bad experiences some people have had in the past.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 04:38:38 pm »
We have just been to their shop and received the usual friendly helpful, non-patronising service we always get there. The bad news is, we also always got a discount if spending over £50 but they no longer offer it in the shop, only on the web. This sounds like a deliberate ploy to swing people from the shop to the web with a view to closing the shop down eventually. I'm really disappointed and the staff in the shop are pretty naffed off about it as you can imagine.

/edit

I have just noticed that the shop address isn't on their carrier bag either.  :(

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 07:12:19 pm »
When I shop online, I always try to use a 'real shop', so somewhere like Ribble would lose my custom by going online only. Not that they'll lose much sleep over this ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 08:08:54 pm »
We have just been to their shop and received the usual friendly helpful, non-patronising service we always get there. The bad news is, we also always got a discount if spending over £50 but they no longer offer it in the shop, only on the web. This sounds like a deliberate ploy to swing people from the shop to the web with a view to closing the shop down eventually. I'm really disappointed and the staff in the shop are pretty naffed off about it as you can imagine.

/edit

I have just noticed that the shop address isn't on their carrier bag either.  :(
That's a real shame. Customer service in the shop has always been great, knowledgeable, helpful etc... That coupled with the online prices then it was unbeatable.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 11:39:37 am »
Damon has just informed us that they have gone. Closed the shop down and directed all customers to the web and their online order and collect from the warehouse service.

I'm really fed up about this, the staff deserved more. I don't know if they have all got jobs in the warehouse (not really the same thing is it) but either way it's crap for them. As rank amateurs we never received anything but friendly helpful advice there.

/Edit
It says on their web site that the shop is closed for renovation. I have just tried phoning them but the phone is permanently engaged.

Really Ancien

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 12:00:20 pm »
That's good news, assuming they do come back. Retailers have told me that they were having a normal season until the begining of May, when it went dead, so maybe they're just taking advantage of the lull.

Damon.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 12:11:06 pm »
I don't think it will. I've just been reading a thread on CC and people have been told by the shop staff that it was closing down. Some of the complaints on there suggest a "couldn't care less" attitude to customers by their on line operation which really puts me off. I hope I'm wrong, I hope the shop comes back but somehow I don't see it happening.

(Still can't get through on the phone. I would hate to have a problem like the wrong thing being delivered or no delivery at all.)

hammond1975

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:17:03 am »
In Cycling weekly this week the ad says the shop is closed for building work and they have a temp shop at the warehouse.

Really Ancien

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 04:15:47 pm »
They should have a cafe at the shop and open early on Saturday and Sunday, it is an ideal meeeting place and has served that purpose for a very long time.

Damon.

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 04:24:47 pm »
I reckon the shop won't be back. The shop could never guarantee having the advertised  stock which was slightly annoying if a special trip was made to buy something. Even when the warehouse moved from Kirkham to the red light area 5 mins walk from the shop things were far from coordinated. Now that the warehouse is in Walton Summit I am thinking they are using this as a final opportunity to get rid of the shop altogether. I imagine  they want the same set-up as Parker International (who also  sell from their warehouse) and that seems to work pretty well.

Really Ancien

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 04:49:38 pm »
It would leave something of a hole for a decent bike shop in Preston. Most of the decent shops are in South Ribble or Chorley, the wierd thing is that a bike shop needs good car parking to succeed.

Damon.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 05:15:59 pm »
We went and checked out the signs in the shop window this morning and they do say, "closed for renovation". There is no sign of anything going on though and the signs have been professionally printed at some expense suggesting that this really isn't a temporary situation. My guess is that the shop will never reopen. I hope I'm wrong. 

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 08:17:44 pm »
Ribble own the shop, can't imagine them selling it in the current economic climate, maybe it will be rented out?

Visions of Umberto's expanding into classy fish restuarant  :)