Author Topic: Ribble Cycles  (Read 46072 times)

Really Ancien

Re: Ribble Cycles
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 08:42:11 pm »
It could become Preston's first ride-through chippy.

Damon.

rdaviesb

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 11:14:59 am »
My guess is that the shop will never reopen. I hope I'm wrong. 

So do I. Whilst the shop could never have a lot of stock in, it always did have the stuff you need at short notice, and the staff were really helpful.

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 11:46:37 am »
I have just had a credit card fraud reported to me by my card company. Only place it has been used recently is Ribble and a quick google shows I'm not the only one to have had this.   Not good for an online retailer!!!

Really Ancien

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 12:36:21 pm »
I've had a series of frauds after using Ribble, including a London Congestion Charge, which as I live about 2 miles from Ribble's warehouse in Lancashire is a bit odd. I think I'll pop over and have a word.

Damon.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2009, 12:46:59 pm »
I've just had 2 in teh past month on different cards that I've used at Ribble - but I've almost certainly used the same acrrds at other places as well.

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2009, 06:43:50 am »
Everbody in my office (eight of us) has had their card used fraudulently in the last couple of years it seems commonplace now.

AC

No, no, no, that can't be right. Chip and pin was going to stop credit card fraud, they told us so.

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 06:01:08 pm »
Anyone else been having trouble using their website since at least last night? It's freezing as soon as any images start downloading.

αdαmsκι

• Twitter @Dr_AAY Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 08:02:20 pm »
I used it last night to check some prices without any problem.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2010, 12:52:09 pm »
Website - much improved. Having to re-register my details - a slight inconvenience.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2010, 02:03:54 pm »
I've had a series of frauds after using Ribble, including a London Congestion Charge, which as I live about 2 miles from Ribble's warehouse in Lancashire is a bit odd. I think I'll pop over and have a word.

Damon.

My Barclaycard has been the subject of fraud twice in the last few months. However I use it all over the place (including Ribble) so it's difficult to blame one supplier.

After this last time I registered my Barclaycard for a thing called Barclaycard Secure and my Debit Card for someting called "Verified by Visa". Ribble certainly participate in the latter. When you pay it prompts additional security questions. As yet it's too early to see if it makes a difference.

Reluctantly I've taken a second card to use if it happens again. Everbody in my office (eight of us) has had their card used fraudulently in the last couple of years it seems commonplace now.

AC

Verified by Visa is a joke. Try changing your password and see how easy it is to guess the security questions with only the most basic of information about you.

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 11:53:03 am »
Recently tried to order a pair of tyres from them. What a complete pain in the derriere!

I went online and noticed I hadn't used them since I moved house. I duly changed the address online and then entered my order for the tyres. The receipt they sent showed my new address as the delivery address. All was going to be okay (or so I thought).

They attempted to deliver to my old address which resulted in the delivery being refused by the new home owner. I called Ribble to find out why they had sent the tyres to the wrong address. they admitted the mistake and would send the tyres to me at the new address when they were returned to them. Okay I thought. I can take a few days delay.

The next thing I know I've got a refund on my paypal account and the order is listed online as cancelled. I tried to phone them but got their voicemail saying that they aren't taking phonce calls today! On a customer services phone number! Really? I emailed them and got a terse reply saying that because the delivery had been refused they were giving me a refund.

I've used Ribble twice now (bought a bike from them previously) and they've been nothing but trouble each time. Never again!

Weather forecast for the weekend?
It's character building verging on epic.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 10:05:35 am »
Ordered some parts Tuesday, received order confirmation email.

Friday morning, no parts. Phoned to ask whether they have been despatched.*

Recorded message announces 'we are not answering the phone today'.

Message to Retailers: from a marketing point of view this is equivalent to telling your customers to f**k off.

*Just checked my bank account and they haven't taken the money so I guess not. If I can get the parts locally I'll cancel.

Bugger, just remembered that I paid via Paypal so they have my money. Found the parts on High On Bikes for a couple of quid more delivery free, with no fancy Ribble discount/minimum order. Ribble order cancelled by email. Will Progress new order with HoB on Monday (to allow for goods in transit though seems doubtful). The HoB sales process is faultless IME.

Epilog: Sent email to Ribble to cancel if goods not yet despatched. Received response saying the ordre was marked as despatched. Item received the next day. Email confirm ing the goods had been despatched arrived Monday.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 10:11:40 am »
I ordered some new mudguards and brake blocks from them on Tuesday. Like you, I am still waiting for them. t

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2011, 06:17:58 pm »
ordered sunday night (27-2-11), email yesterday saying despatched and arrived this morning using their free standard delivery option.

cant complain about that, and all the prices were the cheapest I could find.

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 07:50:11 am »
Just tried to order from them. Entered my card details, went through to the Verified by Visa section and completed that, only to then be returned to Ribble with a message asking for my card details to be corrected  ???

If they were wrong, how could I have been routed through to Verified by Visa? I'm 100% certain that my card details were entered correctly (twice)! Maybe they have a problem at the moment. Anyone else having issues?

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 06:15:09 pm »
Just tried again and all is well. New brakes on the way!  :)

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2011, 06:58:46 pm »

1. Ribble nosw use Verified by Visa and Mastercard Secure, I've had (touch wood) no credit card issues in the last 12-18 months.

The problem is that those in no way guarantee YOU any security. They offer the retailer additional confirmation that the card is being used by the cardholder. The card details could still be open to abuse at the retailer side (stored on insecure system, passed in the clear over an insecure network, able to be accessed by a less than honest employee etc.).
This doesn't mean that Ribble have any of these problems - in all likelihood they don't, and the lack of any comments on forums about them in the last couple of years would back that up - but Verified by Visa and Mastercard Secure shouldn't be seen as offering the cardholder any security.

2. The minimum order to get the lowest price and free postage is now dropped to 35.00.

They are my No. 1 source for keeping me on the road & as an overall package I rate them very highly.

Pricing and postage seem variable there - the offers change regularly. I have had some really good prices out of them at times  :thumbsup: So yes, they are on my "must check" list of retailers when I want anything, and I've been more than happy with their service over many orders in the last couple of years.

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2011, 07:57:10 am »
Just tried to compile a large-ish order of about 10 different things. About 6 are out of stock  :(

Still the cheapest for most things, though. By quite a margin.

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 09:56:14 pm »
Given the poor customer service rep they've had over the years, I was dreading what would happen when a pair of shorts I bought the other week turned out to be the wrong size for me. Rapid turn-around though (either the day it arrived or at most the day after that) so fears turned out to be wrong, fortunately. Good price too, so for me, on this transaction  :thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 02:46:09 pm »
Ordered a pair of sheoes and some bib shorts. Received a pair of shoes and some shorts (aaargh!).
Knowing Ribble's previous reputation, I phoned them, was asked to return them with a note giving the postage cost.

The replacement pair arrived three days after returning the previous pair, all correct and the refund hit my account the same day.

A very happy customer!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 03:04:55 pm »
Bought a frame from them earlier this year, which was claimed as 'in stock'.

They do say to allow 10 working days for delivery on the web-page, and it took exactly that time.  No more, no less.

I was beginning to get concerned, due to some poor feedback on the internet, but in the end they did what they said the would.  So happy cusromer here.   And the frame is nice.  And very blue.

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2011, 06:40:03 pm »
Just tried to compile a large-ish order of about 10 different things. About 6 are out of stock  :(

I was after some unusual race tyres earlier in the year and clicked that link they have to inform you when such-and-such an item is back in stock, not expecting it to work at all. Lo and behold I got an email from them last month to tell me that they were in stock again  :thumbsup:

I tried this too. The only problem was that the items I was after were out of stock for over 3 months, by which time I got them elsewhere.

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 11:15:01 am »
Two weeks to despatch goods marked as "in stock" and now seemingly lost in transit - not impressed >:(

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 11:33:37 am »
I was after some unusual race tyres earlier in the year and clicked that link they have to inform you when such-and-such an item is back in stock, not expecting it to work at all. Lo and behold I got an email from them last month to tell me that they were in stock again  :thumbsup:

Ditto re some lusso biblongs a while back - both the cheapest and one of the few places stocking the coolmax versions..then I went back and ordered another pair - I've ordered a few things on other occasions and had no problems then either.

Re the in/out of stock comments - I've had the occasional issue with other well-known online stores (play comes to mind), not everyone has live inventory updates - and I think even the ones that appear to (eg pbk, wiggle) seem sometimes to take a while (next business day?) before the order decrements the stock count.

jimbhoy

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2012, 02:41:31 pm »
Thumbs up from me, bought a new 105 rear mech and some Finish Line for sub £40, and only 3 days for delivery. Now lets see how long they take on the Giordana shorts i've just ordered (£15 cheaper than anyone else)