Author Topic: Ribble Cycles  (Read 38503 times)

Re: Ribble Cycles
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 07:41:57 pm »
Two weeks to despatch goods marked as "in stock" and now seemingly lost in transit - not impressed >:(
Email sent, package arrived next day - back in my good books :thumbsup:

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2012, 05:56:14 pm »
Ordered almost a complete Campag group set from them which arrived a few days later via their free delivery service.
I over-ordered on brakes and they very promptly refunded the pair I returned.

Was wary of using them because of their reputation and a previous bad experience (many years ago) but they were excellent with this order.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2012, 12:13:37 pm »
I have never had any problems with Ribble, they have always been excellent with deliveries, returns/refunds, sorting out queries.

My latest purchase was a full bike via their bikebuilder option - an e-mail arrived a few days after the order was placed, notifying me of the date my bike was due to be built and that it would be sent by 48 hour courier.  Everything arrived as promised.

The bike was very well put together, everything as ordered.

So, well done Ribble.

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2012, 12:27:26 pm »
I think Ribble are at the top of the pile now for price, speed and service.

« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2013, 10:54:07 am »
Quick efficient service to Sweden for me last week. Thumbs up. Good price too.

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 04:35:41 pm »
Tried Ribble for a smallish item and I've received the best service yet from them. Fast delivery and good price.

I hope they stay this way, my last purchase took ages to arrive and I got shitty reply when I phoned up to see where it was.

Hope they've turned over a new leaf and carry on with the good work :thumbsup:
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2014, 08:49:11 pm »
Just recieved my Sportive 365 today and I am very pleased with the bike and the service.£1144 for a good quality carbon frame with 105 groupset,RS21 wheels and a few other nice goodies.It took just under 3 weeks from pressing the button to arriving.1 email and 2 phone calls dwelt with in a professional manner.(mainly me whittling)
The bike itself was well packed and easy to assemble.I would say most of the problems about Ribble can now be classed as historic.

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2014, 10:38:03 pm »
I bought a 365 f&f to replace the steel frame I sold.

Very quick and well-packed, but they forgot to put the gear cable stop adjusters in and one of the fork dropouts was slightly  narrow so I had to file it out.

Emailed them and mentioned both issues and the next day a package arrived with a bag of 8 cable stop adjusters as an £11 box of energy gels and sachets.

I appreciated that gesture.

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2014, 01:18:05 pm »
I bought a 365 f&f to replace the steel frame I sold.

Flaatuus,

I'd be interested to know what size frame you bought, and the following actual measurements (so I can compare with the geometry diagram):
  • head tube length (end to end)
  • seat tube length (centre to top)
Have you ridden it yet?  How is it at absorbing road vibration/shocks?  How is toe overlap?

What tyre model/size are you using - do you think '28mm' Gator Hardshells (actually about 26.75mm) will fit with mudguards in place?

Any other observations for prospective buyers?

Thanks!

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2014, 03:19:47 pm »
Hello Foghat

Just been downstairs with the tape measure...
Mine is the 49cm model, and set tube is 49 c-t.  Headtube is 12.4cm.  The important one (tope tube) is 53 virtual.
Geometry on the Ribble page:   http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/assets/images/Sportive_Geometry.jpg   ....seems to be accurate
I'm 5'8 but with long legs and a short torso so I tend to defy the standard advice on sizing, plus I always buy the smallest size that will fit as the frames are lighter and often stiffer. Yep, I don't really care as long as the frame is stiff as possible. I was emildly concerned that I might not be able to get the saddle back far enough but it hasn't been an issue.

You have to buy the forks with it, which adds another £80 or so. I used a 13% code so the frame and forks worked out at £423

I've only ridden it twice but I am very pleased with it, for what it is.  It isn't a lightweight race frame, which is what I normally use, but it does exactly what I wanted it to do. I bought it to replace a bloody expensive made to measure 853 frame that just didn't make me smile, even though undoubtedly others would like it. I was hoping to do 200k today and get very acquainted with it but its been pissing down so I stayed in bed.

What I wanted was a frame that could take proper guards, fatter tyres, and have a bit of liveliness about it.  It does that in spades.  It is a pretty bog standard far east frameset but it seems to work. The ride isn't at all bad, and the frame has reasonable stiffness.  I had noticed that the steering isn't as lively as I normally like (I usually ride a Pinarello or a Look) and that is because the headtube angle is a little slacker. A consequence of mudguard accommodation.

Ive got 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pros in there and I'd say that Id have no qualms about shoving fat 25mm tyres in but I don't know about 28mm.  I don't use 28mm anymore so I cant go and shove one in.

So would I recommend it? Yes

I prefer the aluminium fork steerer on this, because I have heard of quite a few cheaper carbon steerered forks getting scored by the headset split ring, and snapping.

Any other observations?

Ribble do a nice cheapish Ritchey wetlook alloy seatpost that fits nicely.
The supplied seatclamp is great
A 105 34.9 front mech is only £15 if you shop about

...other than that I can't wait to get back out on it.

F

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2014, 04:12:12 pm »
Great stuff Flaatuus - thanks for taking the time to measure and post!

The frame sounds ideal for my specific needs - i.e. as the basis of a cheaper all-year bike for club rides where the greater risk of crashing on my high-spec wet-weather bike could otherwise result in some very expensive damage.....

Enjoy your riding on it!

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2014, 04:16:41 pm »
Welcome!

What is your high-spec wet ride then?

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2014, 11:21:22 pm »
Components ordered online 26.12.14, delivered this morning.  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2015, 03:32:18 pm »
Ordered a pair of tyres at a cracking price (half price) with free delivery - delivered 36 hours later - can't say fairer than that. Its been the same for several orders though 2014 - long may it continue.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2016, 08:36:16 pm »
Majorly bummed out! It would seem they're no longer stocking Shimano.

On the public site www.ribblecycles.co.uk you can still order Shimano groupsets but their stock is dwindling e.g. 170mm Tiagra compact chainset is out of stock and they only have a 34.9 front mech.

On the trade site that I use Shimano components have vanished. End of.

I know they were bought out late last year, now I'm wondering what the future will be. I need a new Shimano supplier...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2016, 08:40:24 pm »
Interesting. I wonder if Shimano got fucked off with bike stripping tactics a la Planet X (ALLEDGEDLY)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »
I read that. I did wonder at the time if this was a 'cut'n run' acquisition - but only because I'm cynical.

I've emailed them, basically asking 'WTF?' We'll see what occurs.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2016, 01:39:19 pm »
They took about consolidation so it sounds like they intend to buy other bike retailers. Presumably other relatively small ones with an internet presence. SJS? Spa? PBK? Your guess is no doubt better than mine.

Anyway, I ordered a couple of bits from Ribble at the end of last year and they arrived promptly but for various reasons I've yet to even open the box. :hand:
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2016, 09:04:34 am »
I need a new Shimano supplier...
Mike Dixon Imports in Blackpool for all your road requirements and some mtb, I am a customer and always impressed by their service.  The CSN deletion of shimano is "I understand" a result of the big M enforcing its position as official distribution channel.
D
runs a bike repair business but not here to advertise

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2016, 08:57:50 pm »
If Ribble aren't stocking Shimano, or they're not able to supply their products at competitive prices any longer, I'd imagine that is going to be a significant issue for their new owners.

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2016, 11:25:16 am »
word is Shim maybe back on trade site later this year.
runs a bike repair business but not here to advertise

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2016, 07:28:14 pm »
No response to my email...
VELOMANCER

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2016, 08:10:40 pm »
WTF has happened to their website  ???