Author Topic: Your Wikipedia find of the week  (Read 58526 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Your Wikipedia find of the week
« Reply #500 on: February 11, 2019, 05:52:56 pm »

« Reply #502 on: July 30, 2019, 05:05:09 pm »
"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

Tim Hall

• I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes
« Reply #503 on: July 30, 2019, 10:18:27 pm »
A crowning moment of diplomacy. :demon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks

Puts Arkell v Pressdram in the shade a bit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #504 on: July 31, 2019, 12:04:52 am »
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
« Reply #505 on: July 31, 2019, 08:12:36 am »
Misconceptions like that are interesting when you find out that a commonly held misconception is commonly held in a way you never suspected. For instance:
There is no First Amendment exception that applies to yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.[32] The idea comes from a court decision regarding distribution of pamphlets in opposition to the draft during World War I. But, even absent such an exception, the First Amendment will not necessarily apply if by yelling "fire" a person infringes upon the constitutional right to "life" that laws against raising a false public alarm are founded upon.[33] There is also not a hate speech exception to the First Amendment, as the law only prohibits direct, targeted threats toward specific persons.[34]
I've often heard this "yelling fire in a crowded theatre" thing but never that it was "an exception to the First Amendment," just a stupid thing to do (unless there really is a fire). I guess that's mainly cos I'm not Usanian, but it's just an example of a misconception about misconceptions.
sideways bounding monkey lounging under fruit tree

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche