Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 64903 times)

Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #675 on: December 15, 2019, 09:58:15 am »
Single basket?

Notoriously harder than using a double and IME much more prone to channelling (where water takes path of least resistance and pisses though without extracting resulting in bitter weak taste). Tamping technique vital.

But, youd have to tell me exactly what you are doing (weight of coffee to weight of drink) and what you mean when you say "isnt as good"

« Reply #676 on: December 15, 2019, 12:06:58 pm »
Yes, single basket. Using a grind that works well in the double, tried 6g (too little) 7 (best but still "thin") and 8 (better than 6, not as good as 7, bitterness coming in). Tamping, I try to even the pile then tamp down (with the supplied plastic tamper) and pushing harder, moving around to the edges.

I wonder what happens if I put a single dose in the double basket.

« Reply #677 on: December 15, 2019, 12:45:22 pm »
Plastic tamper, you say?

:facepalm:

« Reply #678 on: December 15, 2019, 12:47:51 pm »
 ;) Get a proper tamper. They arent expensive.

One possible avenue to try is to grind much finer and tamp lighter. By lighter, I mean holder the tamper mid-air and pressing the basket into it, rather than the other way round.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #679 on: December 18, 2019, 06:29:16 pm »

Ooh a Rancilio. Is it a Silvia?  If it is, I can impart some suggestions which will save much faffage and annoyance...

Does that include getting a decent single espresso? Struggling with that, don't use it much but I've tried four times this morning after trying for real last night after a meal and can't say that any was as good as the doubles I normally do.

Coffee Compass is the source of my Cuban Serrano. It has disappeared from their online shop, amusingly (? possibly more sinister than that) Paypal as an USAnian co objects !!1! to cuban trade even if it isn't headed usa-wards so you have to phone them direct, if you want it,  and use the SEEKRIT password - "here's my credit card" works.

MacBeans in Furry Boot Toon  have a Serrano Superior which costs £9.10 for 250g including shipping. I've no idea if that's relatively expensive or not!

« Reply #680 on: December 19, 2019, 03:19:06 pm »
Rapha have got a Hario V60 on their site now. Same price as the regular one from Hario

« Reply #681 on: December 19, 2019, 03:41:12 pm »
The word 'Rapha' on the device wont make the coffee taste any different.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #682 on: December 19, 2019, 03:54:30 pm »
It will if the coffee has been filtered through pre-worn Rapha-branded cycling shorts.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #683 on: December 19, 2019, 03:59:24 pm »
Its the glacial Rapha water that has passed through the sacred rock of the Stelvio, taking out with it some of the essence of the spirit of cycling. The suffering, the pain...

« Reply #684 on: December 20, 2019, 03:17:52 pm »
surely only water (unfiltered)that passed under the wheels of Bartali and Coppi could be suitable. Or volcanic water from Puy-de-Dome when Anquetil and Poulidor rode mano a mano.

« Reply #685 on: December 20, 2019, 04:43:18 pm »
No idea but its nice. I bought five 250gm pouches from a Leeds roastery that was at Malton Food Festival a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the bean type was on business card sized labels clipped to the packet with a paper-clip. Of course by the time I got home they had all fallen off. So random it is until they are gone.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #686 on: January 12, 2020, 07:49:56 am »
Today? Just Not Turkish Coffee*. After a week of it, my conclusion: it's fascinating you can make a drink like that, good on yer. But, why bother?

I found a possible explanation for the consistency on a label
(click to show/hide)

* Actually, Coffee Compass Moka Italia blend, seeing as how you asked.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #687 on: January 12, 2020, 08:13:32 am »
So. Proper builder's coffee then?
Quote from: Kim
And remember that friends who organise things on Facebook aren't proper friends anyway.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #688 on: January 12, 2020, 09:27:22 am »
Reminds me of a joke that ended "their windaes fell oot".

Anent tamping, mentioned a month ago, looking for tampers on Amazon France is fun: they're often billed as sabotages.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.